anjan_c2007

17 tips to save petrol, diesel

hey nice tips to save fuel....yes seing the other prices we should not be cursing our petroleum minister...i have a question....when you switch on the car in morning and immediately switch on the ac...does it affects the fuel efficiency of the car  ??????/

Great information anjan!!!

@mehul = i am not very sure that it effects efficiency or not ..but i never do it...first i start my car then after some time i switch on the A/C.....n when i have to switch off it...i do it before!smiley1.gif
vibhor2008-09-20 14:18:02

To save fuel do not fill up a full tank of Petrol/Diesel

image001yd4.gif

Many of us are not aware that the petrol kiosk

pump has a return pipe-line (in Pink ). When the petrol tank (in the car)

reaches full level' date=' there is a mechanism to trigger off the pump latch and at

the same time a return-valve is opened (at the top of the pump station) to

allow excess petrol to flow back into the sump. But the return petrol has

already pass through the meter, meaning you are donating the petrol back to

the Petrol /Diesel vending machine.

Yours Truly

This is a matter of debate for us. I  am not sure  about the technicalities discussed here. This is the subject matter of an email received from my friend. Maybe some of our learned friends can enlighten.

[/quote']

Fantastic tip.....

I am not sure about this return pipe beacuse normally when I fill a little more after the automatic cut off, the excess petrol in the dispensing pipe comes out and if the tank is completely full, the petrol in the pipe is wasted and flows out of the tank. Now I regularly fill at Shell and even there it has happened. Also I have not noticed any return pipe at the earlier petrol bunks or at Shell.

To save fuel,

Drive smoothly, go with the the traffic, keep some distance(this avoids braking for small obstacles, before you brake traffic clears), accelerate gradually, maintain tyre pressure and at situations you have to stop(traffic lights, Traffic jam, toll booths,etc), donot accelerate till the place, ease off the accelerator before.

Yeah...the remapped power feels good. I was amazed to see the difference. I think they told me the UK specs were 95 on bhp and torque increase from 125 to 179. The car cruises smooth on hilly roads now that felt sluggish before the remap and honestly it didnt even hurt my gas mileage. The drawback is, I have to stick with premium quality diesel, which is actually a good thing because I hate the low quality commercial grade anyway. Our gas quality is just too poor. I recommend.

To save fuel do not fill up a full tank of Petrol/Diesel

image001yd4.gif

Many of us are not aware that the petrol kiosk

pump has a return pipe-line (in Pink ). When the petrol tank (in the car)

reaches full level' date=' there is a mechanism to trigger off the pump latch and at

the same time a return-valve is opened (at the top of the pump station) to

allow excess petrol to flow back into the sump. But the return petrol has

already pass through the meter, meaning you are donating the petrol back to

the Petrol /Diesel vending machine.

Yours Truly

This is a matter of debate for us. I  am not sure  about the technicalities discussed here. This is the subject matter of an email received from my friend. Maybe some of our learned friends can enlighten.

[/quote']

Please put more light on this post. Does this really happen on all Indian Fuel Pumps where there are Automatic Cutoff Dispensers?

remap your car ECU. the factory settings dont do well.

My swift diesel after the remap does 14.3kms/ltr worst and 23.6km/ltr

best on gas mileage after the remap. So this definately has become

better

Did you carry out the Remap at MASS or at local garage?

How did you carry out this tuning? Means what was done while remap? What steps were carried out?

The auto dispensers in Europe/US have this system.

Where there are no attendants to fill the tank. The moment the nozzle sensor senses the fuel level it starts the return flow till the fuel level recedes away from the sensor.

This situation does not arise in India, the auto dispensers here will fill up to the punched in amount however the attendant is there to see the level.

But even if there is attendant on Indian Pumps, is there possibility of Returning the Fuel back to the Underground Tank if the Car's Tank is filled up to the brim (i.e. when the Fuel Dispenser cuts off on sensing the car's tank is full)?

If it is possible in India too, then I will try not to top up the tank from next time. Just fill less liters. May be 15-20 liters at a time instead of 25-30 liters.

The auto dispensers in Europe/US have this system.

Where there are no attendants to fill the tank. The moment the nozzle sensor senses the fuel level it starts the return flow till the fuel level recedes away from the sensor.

This situation does not arise in India' date=' the auto dispensers here will fill up to the punched in amount however the attendant is there to see the level.[/quote']

Experts Please guide on this post.

In India, does the Fuel flow back to the under ground tank if the nozzle sensor senses the fuel level till the fuel level recedes away from the sensor?

The reason behind digging the old topic is lack of answer to my query.

Can anyone Please Post Answer to Very LAST Post of Mine (21st May 2009)?

Means I want to know whether Anijog's post Holds Candle to Sun?

Just Now while browsing through Fuel Saving Tips mentioned on http://www.hyundai.co.in/fuel-tip9.asp?pagename=fuel

there is one advice- the Last Tip on that page which says--

"Do not turn air louvers towards the window side".

Can anyone explain this?

What will be the bad effect if air louvers are turned towards Window Side?

more than one month has passed. Still no answer to the above Questions. Great Going Intelligent Guys.

OK, the people using 100/90W or 130/100W Bulbs in their vehicles, have a look at below link from howstuffworks.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-economy/drl-gas-consumption1.htm

The above link says that the higher the wattage of Bulbs, the more Fuel is burned to glow them.