rugs_tachy

Need ur Help

Hi own a Bajaj Caliber 2001 model and has clogged 70000 Kms till date. I have started noticing some issues, for which i need ur help

1) When i kick the bike, i feel the compression has come down, because the kick flows down very smoothly.

2) After the bike started, if i raise the throttle, i find that the bike is emitting black smoke.

Till date i have never replaced anything in this bike except for bulbs or clutch wire (that too only once).

DO you guyz feel that the clutch plates and the piston rings must have worn off???

is it both or one of them....

What about the compression. I feel that the tappets needs to be set. I am new to bangalore, and therefore do not know which service centre to give. I have also noticed while i was in Pune, most of the Bajaj Service Centres do not do proper tappet setting. Incase you guyz know any good bajaj service centres in bangalore, please do let me know.

Hi own a Bajaj Caliber 2001 model and has clogged 70000 Kms till date. I have started noticing some issues' date=' for which i need ur help

1) When i kick the bike, i feel the compression has come down, because the kick flows down very smoothly.

2) After the bike started, if i raise the throttle, i find that the bike is emitting black smoke.

Till date i have never replaced anything in this bike except for bulbs or clutch wire (that too only once).

DO you guyz feel that the clutch plates and the piston rings must have worn off???

[/quote']

Does your engine oil need topping up at regular intervals?

If the compression has reduced, the oil level should drop after riding some hundred kms depending on the condition of the engine.

As you say the bike is emitting black smoke, that means the oil level must be dropping. Check the oil level every 50-100 kms and the amount of engine oil required to top up the same. Check the compression ratio on a compression ratio tester at a service center. If the oil level does not drop too much .i.e, if the compression ratio has not reduced much as compared to the figure given in owner's manual, then you may have to change only the pistion's rings. If it has reduced too much then you will have to change piston and rings as a set.

Also clean the carburettor and get it adjusted properly as improper adjustment leads to rich mixture which may lead to black smoke.

One way to check the rich mixture is identify the condition of the spark plug. If it has dry black or wet black deposits, then the mixture is rich. If it is white then it is lean mixture and if brown it is correct combustion.

Carry out the tests I mentioned above, and let us know the result, so that we may guide you further.

Bye.

Carry out the carburettor work (Cleaning and adjusting) first and if you did not notice any reduction in smoke, then carry out the compression ratio testing work.

man' date='does any one know where to find performance parts for unicorn in hyd????????

at least tell me what parts i ca use and there part numbers

[/quote']

You can fit a bigger carburettor jets, bigger float chamber, K & N Filter,etc.

Hi own a Bajaj Caliber 2001 model and has clogged 70000 Kms till date. I have started noticing some issues' date=' for which i need ur help

[/quote']

If the compression has reduced, the oil level should drop after riding some hundred kms depending on the condition of the engine.

As you say the bike is emitting black smoke, that means the oil level must be dropping. Check the oil level every 50-100 kms and the amount of engine oil required to top up the same. Check the compression ratio on a compression ratio tester at a service center. If the oil level does not drop too much .i.e, if the compression ratio has not reduced much as compared to the figure given in owner's manual, then you may have to change only the pistion's rings. If it has reduced too much then you will have to change piston and rings as a set.

Also clean the carburettor and get it adjusted properly as improper adjustment leads to rich mixture which may lead to black smoke.

One way to check the rich mixture is identify the condition of the spark plug. If it has dry black or wet black deposits, then the mixture is rich. If it is white then it is lean mixture and if brown it is correct combustion.

Carry out the tests I mentioned above, and let us know the result, so that we may guide you further.

Bye.

Yes rightfully the oil consumption if abnormal needs to be checked. The spark plug fouling up is another indication. Even the petrol consumption goes up. Try to use higher gears (the Caliber has only 4) on uphill roads. The engine will be overworked and need lower gears. All these factors may lead you to conclude that the piston rings may be gone and if its at an advanced stage , the engine may need overhauling.

[/quote']

Bye.

Yes rightfully the oil consumption if abnormal needs to be checked. The spark plug fouling up is another indication. Even the petrol consumption goes up. Try to use higher gears (the Caliber has only 4) on uphill roads. The engine will be overworked and need lower gears. All these factors may lead you to conclude that the piston rings may be gone and if its at an advanced stage , the engine may need overhauling.

I totally agree the engine may need overhauling.

Do Update us on the progress

I think the oil filter must be changed along with the carburettor overhauling. Check out for Castrol Bike Zones as some of their service centers are good.

There is no such term carburettor overhauling. Carburettor Cleaning and adjusting it properly is correct.

@rugs_tachy

You have not posted any progress of the work you are carrying out or will carry out on your Caliber.

Please post as I am desperate to read what problems were present.