visheshag

A new car for a budget of upto 6 Lakhs

I am putting up this question for my dad who will be mainly driving this car, so please recommend something keeping the requirements and taste of someone who is in his fifties in mind. He is hardly a driving enthusiast and things like out right acceleration and handling wont make much of a difference to him as he is a sedate driver. I am trying to list out his requirements in the order of preference.

1. Ride comfort

2. Cooling of the A.C. ( the summers in delhi are proving to be  hotter each year  and he uses  A.C. a lot)

3. Space

4. Performance

5. FE and Maintenance costs

Also his daily use will be around 50-60 kms in the city and  yet he is hardly a fan of diesel engines so please recommend something in petrol first. The budget as mentioned earlier is max 6 Lakhs which cannot be stretched at any cost. He will be keeping the car for 8 years atleast.

A couple of other things I would like to mention...mostly 2 people will be riding in the car but back seat comfort is also very important so my father is not in favor of swift. He also had look at the Dzire today and did not like it much. He is not particular about a hatchback or a sedan and is open to both though in the favor of the latter, neither is he averse to a non-maruti as many are, as in delhi availaibility of parts is not much of an issue ( we own a matiz so we should know smiley36.gif).

He is currently in favor of an Accent GLE with the option of fitting it with CNG. I have heard it might me phased out soon, if that is true what would be the repercussions of this?

He has to take a decision by April end so waiting for any upcoming cars might not be possible.

I have tried to explain my requirements in detail so that it is easier for you to recommend something although it might be difficult to answer with so many constraints.

I would like to thank everyone taking out their time and answering this query of mine.

My recco : Swift ZXi

Front sear comform is great, and the A/C is real good, especially with the climate control.

Then you have on strg wheel audio controls too.

Rear seat is not too good.

Performance is great, and FE is OK.

Sorry aditya i posted my second post after some time so i guess you didn't read it before replying...he is not much in favor of swift because of its back seats and its bold styling although i know swift is a car that most people recommend...any other suggestion please if you have.

Also what are your thoughts about the Accent?

Mea Culpa.

The Accent may or may not be phased out soon, but the coming of the Verna has seen the resale value drop.

I guess that is not an issue if you are planning to keep the car for 8 years. (is that not a bit excessive?)

Re the CNG part, note that there will be a drop in performance as the tank empties.

But the running costs make it less painful!!

if u don't want a boot getz is a great option....other wise choose Accent or logan....aceent back seat is not comfortable...on the other hand logan is extramily comfortable & has a bettr ride...don't know abt after sales & reliability though..I think logan is the best chsoice..

I think it should be either a Getz (1.3 since u have the budget and is reasonably fuel efficient) or a Logan 1.4 which meets all your requiremnts. Accent's rear isn't all that comfortable but it is a worthy option nevertheless.

My reccommendation would be to go with the Logan.

That's because although right now my brother (who is working outside delhi)  and I (studying in a hostel but in last semester) do not stay in delhi, one or both of us could be shifting there soon so family outings would be much more common. I hope this makes more sense smiley1.gif.

I would like to ask the people recommending the Logan...I have read that the logan makes sense only if you go in for the diesel version and as I have mentioned it is not the preferred option for me, would you still recommend it or are you referring to the the petrol one?

The decision of Petrol v Diesel is basically dependent on the amount of mileage he plans to do. If it is under say 10,000per annum then Diesel is out,on the other hand if it is over 25,000 pa then diesel may be the variant of choice. In between a lot depends on the premium you pay for the diesel, and individual choice.Remember the maintenance of a diesel will be somewhat higher than for a petrol.

A normally aspirated car invariably has more linear power delivery than a Turbo. A petrol will normally have lower NVH than a diesel. On the otehr hand a diesel will pull like a train, and Rs.30 per litre definitely beats Rs.50 per litre, and also add that a diesel will be about 20% more economical in consumption.

Since he states that he is looking at a minimum eight year lifespan, the resale will be of no relevance in the decision. Depending on the mileage he plans to do he may decide on a petrol or a diesel. Given the profile other parameters are not likely to be of much relevance. The Logan  (petrol or diesel) is a grossly underrated car, and is an excellent buy.

ITs a tough option dude go for Indigo LS DICOR or the Logan is the best. Ask him to also look at Palio SDX good rear seats the driving position is good and its as refined as petrol one .

That's because although right now my brother (who is working outside delhi)  and I (studying in a hostel but in last semester) do not stay in delhi' date=' one or both of us could be shifting there soon so family outings would be much more common. I hope this makes more sense smiley1.gif.

I would like to ask the people recommending the Logan...I have read that the logan makes sense only if you go in for the diesel version and as I have mentioned it is not the preferred option for me, would you still recommend it or are you referring to the the petrol one?
[/quote']

I was referring to the Logan 1.4 petrol which fits easily in your budget. It will suit all your requirements and will give you years of trouble free ownership.

I would try and avoid Hyundai products if I want to keep the car long term - I own two at the moment. They are good VFM but the longevity is suspect. One has to compromise somewhere, after all. The Accent is not only totally outdated (The Verna is the replacement) but also has low seats and is not particularly frugal. I get about 10-11 in town (depending on the AC usage) and up to a bit over 14 on the highway. I do not know the driving pattern envisaged so the last may or may not come into consideration.

One thing in favour of Hyundai -cheap spares. Of late I have seen an annoying tendency in dealerships to try and do a hard sell for all sorts of value added services which are totally unnecessary - decokes, flushes,  etc.

sgiitk2008-04-02 05:24:52

hi, its a matter of safe driving and for keeping the car at your house for 8 years long. So u don't hv to hury my dear friend. Upto 6 years - Aveo 1.4 LS Special edition is available (u can visit the nearest showroom to see this car). ...and upto 8 years rely on New Tata Indigo Dicor which is strongly built, fuel efficient and value for money.

I think logan will be better buy than indigo but i think for petrol indigo is an option...for diesel indigo is not that good but still check out logan... check out fiesta 1.4 exi if discounts are there it can fit ur budget ...n if boot is not that important then getz is good option

If you are keeping a vehicle long term then the resale will be negligible. So that will not be a parameter to consider. On the other hand durability and long term reliability should be of prime concern. Given the current state I will be loathe to go for a Tata product. Others should be fine.