Puneet

Diesel Vitara & SX4

I think Maruti should immediately launch Diesel versions of Grand Vitara and SX4. Both of them are available in Europe & Australia. What do you think??

Am not sure about the Vitara, but am quite sure that there is no Diesel version of the SX4 anywhere.

The Vitara had a diesel at one point of time, which Suzuki sourced from Mazda.

Question is, are these models suffering in India because of the lack of a diesel engine?

@aditya vitara is suffering from diesel right so why CRV petrol is selling well....diesel can boost some sales but still its not selling coz its not that good car and nowadays very few are ready to buy expensive maruti/hyundais...

Am not sure about the Vitara' date=' but am quite sure that there is no Diesel version of the SX4 anywhere.

Question is, are these models suffering in India because of the lack of a diesel engine?

[/quote']

@aditya vitara is suffering from diesel right so why CRV petrol is selling well....diesel can boost some sales but still its not selling coz its not that good car and nowadays very few are ready to buy expensive maruti/hyundais...

True. A Pajero is a better advertisement for your wealth than a Tuscon!!

Am not sure about the Vitara' date=' but am quite sure that there is no Diesel version of the SX4 anywhere.

[/quote']

I stand corrected!!

car_photo_215343_7.jpg

Source : Auto Express U.K. Car Reviews

• Rating: rating_3.gif
  • On the road price: ?11,999 - ?17,025
  • For : Pleasant looks, decent fascia
  • Against : Limited boot space, firm ride

Now

the Vitara is no more, the Grand Vitara takes over its role as Suzuki's

competitor in the medium SUV segment. Facing new improved competition

from the Toyota Rav4, the Grand Vitara still has some of the most

pleasing styling of all the junior off-road set. Four engines and a

choice of three and five-door models is available; additionally for

those wanting full seven-seat capacity there's the XL-7 long-wheelbase

version. Those three-door models are only available with the 1.6-litre

or 2.0-litre petrol engines, while the five-door estate can be

specified with the same 2.0-litre or a 2.5-litre V6. A 2.0-litre

turbo-diesel is also offered.

The driving position and front seats give good support, the Grand

Vitara proving quite a driver's car for a 4x4. Inside, the fascia is

pleasantly designed, the seat coverings changing for the better in the

2001 model. The boot space is so-so with very little space in the rear

of the three-door for passengers, the five-door model gaining some

much-needed legroom as a result of model changes. A compromised package

then, though no worse than the majority of the competition.

Comments by Yours Truly: Yes dudes in Europe Suzuki offers a diesel option.

anjan_c20072008-04-08 18:16:07

I think Maruti should immediately launch Diesel versions of Grand Vitara and SX4. Both of them are available in Europe & Australia. What do you think??

In Europe both of them are available in diesel versions.

Grand Vitara - 1.9 DDIS

SX4 - 1.6 DDIS

I think Maruti should should start manufacturing Grand Vitara in India with a diesel engine and new interiors at a good price.

Even General Motors and Honda are planning to make Captiva and CR-V in India and ofcourse both in diesel as majority of car buyer is now interested in Diesel due to its benifits.

I think a lot of people are interested in buying SUV's as they are practicle and has big image in our country but people are restriced to Tata Safari & Scorpio as they are affordable to a majority of people

In Europe both of them are available in diesel versions.

Grand Vitara - 1.9 DDIS

SX4 - 1.6 DDIS

I think Maruti should should start manufacturing Grand Vitara in India with a diesel engine and new interiors at a good price.

Even General Motors and Honda are planning to make Captiva and CR-V in India and ofcourse both in diesel as majority of car buyer is now interested in Diesel due to its benifits.

I think a lot of people are interested in buying SUV's as they are practicle and has big image in our country but people are restriced to Tata Safari & Scorpio as they are affordable to a majority of people

A diesel Vitara is not going to be any cheaper, and you will still be stuck with the Safari and the Scorpio!!

For whose benefit?

1000 customers a year?

It is not going to push Maruti's sales (Vitara) astronomically high.

I don't think 1000 customers a year are going to decide a company's product roadmap (unless the co is making Rolls or Maybachs!!)

In a diesel savvy country like India, even Honda is planning to bring in diesel engines. Maruti should provide a diesel for the SX4 immediately if it wants to stay on tracks. Diesels sell more than petrols. Plus Maruti has that Fiat advantage. So god knows what Maruti is waiting for....

While I agree that a diesel is a good option to have in a product portfolio, you are not going to die from the lack of it.

There are still a good no of petrol-heads who either will buy a petrol engine since they feel it is a better option for them, or have calculated their usage, done the maths and found that it makes more sense to stay with petrol..

Honda has survived for so long, and so has Maruti.

When you are spending the kind of money that a Vitara will cost, cost per running km may not be an issue if you are not doing very many km in a month. People tend to prefer the refinement of petrol.