anjan_c2007

Why do automobiles catch fire?

I like to discuss about automobiles that are in no way involved or even remotely connected to any mishap or riots and civil disturbances of any kind, whatsoever.

Narrowing down the discussion to cars and all other automobiles that catch fire all of a sudden, apparently for no reason at all ,though in reality lurking some hidden and real causes, that can be revealed by investigating further into the matter.

The causes can be;-

(1) LPG/CNG cylinder fitment that is improper and can provoke and cause fire.

(2) Improper upkeep and maintenance of the electrical wiring/ equipment/  fuses / accessories improperly fitted.

(3)Petrol leakage and spillage anywhere nearer to the hot, operating engine of the automobile.Diesel is a only a bit less sensitive and gives a little breathing time for cover-up operations whereas petrol is impatient and can cause instant fire.

(4) Any other human callousness of a magnitude that can provoke and cause fire.

I hope the listed reasons above list most of the causes of automobile fires.

I was once luckily saved from such a fire mishap.while driving a Mahindra CJ 4A petrol jeep which had its Solex carburettor fitted directly above the engine head, there was spillage of petrol as the carburettor gaskit was worn. Upon noticing some smoke emanating from the bonnet/ body gaps, I immediately stopped the jeep, rushed out and opened the bonnet.As it was a country road there was soil around the road which I and my co-passengers threw over the engine. The fire had just started over the cast iron head and there was virtually little or no damage.I only wondered that had the leakage been a little bit more, the jeep would have burnt within no time at all.

Also we should not tinker with the electrical connections or get the repairs done by unqualified and juvenile mechanics. The electrical circuits are very sensitive and prone to provoke a fire that can destroy the automobile.

anjan_c20072008-04-11 15:03:23

Must have been real exciting....I had an open bonnet experience with my Sipani D-1 diesel...It couldn't make up the ghat to Tirupathi...it overheated every few kms. The car was loaded with 6 adults and one child and luggage...the car had no a/c..we used to open the bonnet and literally pour cold water over the engine...and my younger brother ventured to open the radiator cap and hot steam rushed out and scalded his scalp and I took some on my left chest...I still have that mark...Stupid car and even stupider owners...smiley36.gif

the usual suspects:----

1)modified electrical parts and wiring especially under the hood(autocops,engine bay lamps)

2)cracked fuel lines

3)badly earthed batteries

--------------combination of all the above lead to CARbeques!!

Must have been real exciting....I had an open bonnet experience with my Sipani D-1 diesel...It couldn't make up the ghat to Tirupathi...it overheated every few kms. The car was loaded with 6 adults and one child and luggage...the car had no a/c..we used to open the bonnet and literally pour cold water over the engine...and my younger brother ventured to open the radiator cap and hot steam rushed out and scalded his scalp and I took some on my left chest...I still have that mark...Stupid car and even stupider owners...smiley36.gif

Refreshingly honest!!

Nice of you Durango to share your experience -it  made good reading.That was a freak car-the Sipani D 1- the body was of fibre, if I'm not mistaken.

When my radiator fan stopped working once I had to put cold water to the coolent tank and upon the radiator . I always carry pepsi filled water bottle in the boot .