Sign in to follow this  
Rajeevraj

Question on Engine Noise

Hi,

here is a question regarding my Zen. In the past few days i noticed a kind of noise comnig from the engine area. A kind of drrrrr noise as background to the normal engine sound. The car drives well and no issues there. Only this noise is there. It sometimes goes away at a higher gear also.

I took it for service today and the service guy told he'll check this. Then he called me and said that the noise is becouse the AC compressor is gone and needs to be replaced. Can this be true? Firstly the AC is working perfectly fine. And secondly I dont understand how failure of AC compressor can cause such a noise. Or is AC compressor something in related to engine?smiley5.gif

BTW unrelated to the above, the service fellow also said clutch assembly needs to be replaced which i told him to do. The car has run 51000km (I bought it from True Value at 45000km. Its disapointing that they have not checked and replaced the clutch assembly before selling to me. Looks like their 120 checks are just for advertisment purpose)

Any comments/suggestions? Another point is that in the past 3 weeks the car ran around 2500km in both highway and city combined. And it was driven a lot by a couple of drivers in my hometown also during this period.

Yup Noise is there without AC also.Morning when i was driving it to service station i had not put on the AC and the noise was there. It seems to be coming from the area near the engine block.

It was an AC compressor problem Thankfully it was under warranty as it was a True Value car. hence they replaced it.

But one daya fter that i had a the car jerking badly in 2nd 3rd gear as if it was out of petrol. Had to take it again and they said it was becos of some carbon deposits on the spark plugs. Theu cleaned and it seems to be ok now. But shouldnt these things be checked during normal service?

I am thinking of selling the car and buying a Dzire. :)

Carbon deposits will cause missing. However, a modern day car should not have this. If you are getting that much fuel into the engine, then something is seriously wrong. One possibility can also be adulterated petrol.

Added

I presume it is not a carb engine.

sgiitk2008-04-23 07:38:47

Its not carb its mpfi

Hmm i did fill petrol the day before this happened. And it happened to be that xtra premium. Realised that only after they started fillin since the petrol station indicated it as normal. Later seeing the price only i realised it was xra premium. I normally fill only regular petrol and there was a few litres of that when i filled.

Could a mix of these petrols have caused this problem?

No. I use Premium (Speed / XtraPremium) all the time. There are some reports of diesels smoking with premium but none with petrol. Mixing regular and premium is also not an issue. Only if the fuel is adulterated with Kerosene or Naphtha or Solvent or whatever should you have a problem.

Poor petrol is normally associated with loss of power, and heavy consumption.

The way out is to run down to less that 1/4 tank, then tank up and see.

Added:

Experience suggests that with premium you should get about 5% better mileage, and smoother running

sgiitk2008-04-23 09:53:53

sgiitk Thanks. I really think u have hit upon what caused my problem I did mix regular and extra premium and more than that when i did some searches to find out about petrol pumps that have issues in Bangalore  revealed the following:

"The following are the

You do not have to empty and refill. You have to dilute the petrol with proper petrol, so just live with it and as soon as you get to about 1/4 level tank up. In the meanwhile you can add a couple of sachets of Formula G or whatever.

I use premium and recommend it for the smoother running. 5% saving essentially evens out the extra price. I have been using Premium ever since it became available in Kanpur. Strictly speaking IOC should be marginally better 93ON as against 91On of the rest, but this is within errors so I am conservative and say all premium petrols are the same.

I think you are correct in the statement of premium being better. But in Bangalore problem is that most petrol bunks cheat one way or the other. Search on the net will throw up 1000's on instances of cheating at petrol bunks in Bangalore. So i suppose my issue is more due related to fuel adulteration rather than the premium fuel itself

Thanks for the advice.

It seems sgiitk solved the problem . Also isn't petrol the most expensive in Banglore . I get 50.13 per litre normal one in Mumbai .The dilution method the right choice .

yup petrol in Bangalore is one of the most expensive in the country. Its 52.x for normal. And very few reliable bunks. Add to it the extensive traffic jams which results in very poor mileage :(

My son is in Karnataka (Manipal) and he has been using Premium for the past 4+ years, first on his Alto VX and now Swift ZXi. Cheapest petrol is (naturally) Delhi (or is it Haryana now!).

As mentioned the slightly better economy at least nullifies the price disadvantage, the the smoother running engine is the bonus. Poor petrol supply is a problem all over. In general Premium probably suffers less from this malady. Fortunately, nowadays the problem is more of under measurement than of adulteration.

Prior to Premium I used System G. You can probably go to 0.5ml per litre as against the recommended 1ml and not lose on the benefits. It makes regular Premium expect for the ON. Also, when blending at the refinery there are fewer constraints in the composition than when producing an additive.

Let me recall what poor petrol can do to you. It goes back to 1981 and we (four adults + 2 infants) were driving to Nainital in my Premier Padmini Deluxe. As the petrol was 79ON (no 93ON in Kanpur etc.) tuning this engine was a real job, and I used to do it myself.

I Bareilly we tanked up. Driving to Kichha (~80km) I stopped twice and checked thinking that a plug lead had fallen off. It was that bad. The car was also drinking petrol - must have consumed over 10lin the 80km! Then I realised what it was. We drove on to Haldwani (about 20km), and I tanked up with petrol at the IOC depot. Things improved. When we got to altitude (about 2500') and the octane requirements of the car dropped, things became normal. I wonder whether the pump in Bareilly was selling pure Kerosene.

Just tells you that even the old dinosaurs  could also suffer badly due to poor petrol.

FRG,

could nt this be the typical nosie that the zen eminates bcause of its aluminum engine*(that ticking noise)...i dont think it has anything to do with the compressor. my suggestion is to drive another wlell maintained zen and compare...

This was due to AC Compressor. It was a problem that suddenly came up and not a regular noise. Once the compressor was replaced there were no issues. And it was under True Value Warranty so the company paid for it. So that makes me confident that this compressor was causing the problem. smiley1.gif because according to what that guy told this thing costs atleast around Rs10000.

@Rajeevraj I was addressing @RKNG and not you.

It is true that a replacement compressor costs about 10k, but all spares are available, so actually repair costs are not that high.

@sgiitk, yes even i was addressing RKNG. missed mentioning that.

@adi1991 Yes It was a True Value car bought from Bimal Bangalore. I took it to them only for this. They were very smooth about it. Completely took care of the cost without any questioning. The service advisor did not charge me for topping the AC gas also (which is a comsumable and not under warrenty)

I personally believe they did it to protect the truevalue reputation. I had bought the car from them only 5 months back and it had run around 45K kms. The mechanic was saying this compressor should last atleast 75000KM minimum. So it kinds of points to a poor refurbishment by true value before they sold it.

I have had other problems like rusted window rollers, rattling doors, boot not closing until closed really hard etc... Small issues but something which clearly indicates that the "120 checks" they advertise is not really true.  Good thing is that they do everything for free. smiley1.gif