akj53in

Fabia - Any user experience

I need to buy a decent car with upto 6-12 lacs. Car will be used mainly by myself and my wife only for about 1200 to 1500 KMs per month for mostly city travel. I am 53 years old and quite a car buff.

My priorities are a comfortable, tough and reliable car with modern features. I have considered practically all cars in 6-12 lacs, and have zeroed on Fabia 1.4 Litre Petrol Elegance, as it has the maximum features, decent power of 84 bhp, very elegant and comfortable interiors. The car is built like a tank with almost 6 inch thick doors. To me it appeared as a 'chhoti luxury car'.

Price at 6.99 lacs (Ex. showroom Delhi) though on the higher side is also acceptable keeping in view the quality and faetures provided.

The only issues in buying the car are:-

1. No user feedback till now.

2. Horror stories of customers of Skoda India

3. It is not a sedan with boot (percieved Indian preferance for a boot)

What I am really scared about are the first 2 issues. My observations on the other cars are as follows:-

Honda City - Though reliable and comfortable, does not provide even the basic security features like engine immobiliser, ABS and Air bags. Obsolete car at a premium price.

Dzire - too basic and poor build.

SX4 - too heavy and cumbersome, poor build

Fiesta - too much maintenance needed. poor kit

Verna, Cedia and Optra - too little sales and so very poor resale value. Though I would have loved to buy Cedia.

Corolla - End of life product.

The only other option left is Honda Civic. I saw the car and found the car too low, entry and exit of front passengers is problematic.

I would love to read the feedback of any Fabia owners and also of other members regarding my obeservations.

The Fabia you are looking at is the Petrol Var or the Diesel?

I ask, since you have mentioned 1.4, which is the diesel option, but Petrol otherwise, and the price indicated also seems to say petrol.

Fabia Petrol is now available in 2 engine options.

Petrol 1.2 litres provides 69 BHP and is available only in classis and Ambiante trim.

Petrol 1.4 litres is a 84 BHP engine and is the top line model with Elegance trim. This is the model which I want to buy.

Mea Culpa.

Sorry about that.

Anyways, I am expecting the delivery of my Fabia Elegance Petrol on Tue or Wed next week, and if you can wait for a few days past that, I should be able to give you some feedback!!

Thanks Aditya

Please do provide your feedback and user experience

where r u based. I am in Noida

Mea Culpa.
Sorry about that.
Anyways' date=' I am expecting the delivery of my Fabia Elegance Petrol on Tue or Wed next week, and if you can wait for a few days past that, I should be able to give you some feedback!![/quote']

I've test driven all the Fabias (1.2, 1.4 and 1.4TDI) and somehow they just didn't click with me (diesel engine LOUD, petrols lackluster, ride too harsh, steering too heavy, back seat not comfortable). Overdrive has done a road test of the elegance in the May 2008 issue...the engine according to them is lacking and has an average response. (0-100 in 17 secs for the 1.4 elegance!)

Our family owns an Octavia and there all niggling issues all the time (eg. the gear used to slip on engaging in 2nd till the engine revved down!)

I personally feel that Honda City/Verna/Cedia are better buys. If I had to choose one, I'd pick the Verna XXi or CRDI SX with ABS - very driver friendly cars. The light cluth n gearbox make it easy in the city.

You could also look at the Honda City VTEC...

Well i would advise you not to go in for the Fabia, since prices are expected to be cut by a signifact amount, around 50k or so, as Skoda plans to assemble it locally at Chakan. Resale will surely be affected.  http://thecarsandmore.blogspot.com/2008/03/wait-and-buy-skoda-fabia.html

At your budget i would advise you to get the Civic, its a fantastic car,  really very very good, and the low ground clerance is not much of a issue. Otherwise get the Vtec with ABS/Airbags for around 10L. Good thing about Honda is good resale and not expensive servicing. I would advise you to go for a long drive in both the Civic and City.

What makes you say that Verna doesn't sell well. Have you considered they have sold more than 24,000 units, last year. And they offer  better service than Skoda; any day. And any day is better than the Fabia, thats a given. Skoda is a maintainance heavy brand, that offers nothing but snob value.

i want to purhase honda city vtec. the dealer is offering the latest batch at 9.09 minus 15 k discount. but there is one car of oct 2007 on which he is offering discount of 50 k. he says that except for batch both are same. should i go for the latest or the old batch. please advise

i think that, the honda city VTECH with ABS & airbag or SX4 ZXi will be the best choices for you, if you would like to have a sedan. they are having the safety features,you want and are pretty comfortable too. SX4 would be more comfortable over large potholes though.honda has excellant build quality and has nice interiors.but price you pay for it, is very high.

SX4 is also has decent build quality, but the plasticky interiors, though made of good quality plastics may not appeal to you, on first sight. But it is very high value for money, and pretty reliable too. Maruti's service network is icing on the cake :)

Skoda has now also launched Fabia Petrol 1.2 litre and base model starting from 5.02 and 5.36 lacs ex. showroom Delhi. With these kind of pricing, I think Skoda is now seriously planning to enter the volume market. I repeat that the car is built like a tank and built to last long, with very high quality materials and top line specs. In my openion, it has all the ingredients to become the segment leader in terms of positioning (not in terms of quantity), as it ill appeal to those who are looking for a 'small premium car'.

However Skoda must provide more powerful engine options and features like Climatronic AC, instead of features having limited useability like Sunroof.

Skoda will also have to improve itself and its dealers in terms of quantity, knowledge and a customer friendly attitude.  It should also learn to settle warranty claims immediately and without any hassles. Service and maintenance cost, incluing spares cost will also have to be reduced. Otherwise it will meet the same fate as of FIAT, which despite having an excellent product killed it due to pathetic sales and service network.

Please comment

i think you should go for civic its the best car in the budget of 12 lakhs.. i am a owner of civic and you are right that the seats are low but every car has negative and positive so you should go for civic.. honda city vtec with abs and airbags is also a good option.. you can consider chevrolet aveo also its a very good car.. then optra magnum diesel is also a very good car and if you dont like civic you should seriouly consider it.. if you really want a car with good resale value then but the honda city it has the best resale.. according to me resale isnt that important and what is more important is which car you like..buy that.

Every car has a plus and a minus. Its upto you at the end of the day,

what you want from your car. If you like the Fabia buy it. Its got

everything right except for the engines and the price.

Personally, with 12 lakhs I would have bought the Civic. Plus you have

written that you are a car buff, then you will definitely enjoy driving

the Civic.Only downside is entry and exit and you would have to be careful on the humps.

Have you taken a test drive of both? You should if you haven't.

i have test driven the fabia......the features and aura in the car is like as i own an expensive sallon car.....the car is built like a tank and the car's bonnet is really strong !!!! but the diesel is noisy and definitely outclassed by swift mjd...and d petrol is at best sluggish it was takin a long tym to reach 100 kmph and in 0-100 dash is outclasses by all small cars........if u want to buy it just buy the diesel....i am impressed by the build quality,ride and equipments and interiors......but the engine leaves a lot to be desired !!!

i feel that, since you have the budget upto 12 lakhs, you can go for civic. it has better interiors and equipment than fabia any way. The service will also be better. And you can expect similar price for fabia and civic spares. The skoda parts are exorbiatantly priced for the particular segments. But you cannot have a diesel civic, as of now.

I test drove the 1.4 litre petrol Elegance model, as I wanted more powerful car and at 84 bhp, it was the most powerful Fabia. But with only 3 thin people on board and with AC running, it became difficult to overtake an ALTO. I did not find much performance difference between Fabia and my Matiz. As the Fabia is a heavy car so it needs a bigger engine. It looks very odd that a 7.5 lac car finds it difficult to overtake a car worth only 3 lacs. The petrol engine was also noisy even inside the cabin.

Though I was impressed with build quality, lack of Climatronic AC in such an expensive car is not acceptable. Also the steering was too big, horn switch was far away and horn sound was pathetic. The foot well appeared too narrow.

I sent 2 queries to SKODA, none of which was answered. Called on their Helpline and was told to contact the dealer. When I asked what are you people doing, they said we only provide info about dealers and varients but cant answer technical questions.

Dealer knowledge was pathetic. One sales man did not know what is a tinted glass. His GM grandly said that he has never read the owners manual of the cars he is selling so why do I need to see it. Vague answers were given for service intervals (10000 kms) and service costs (Rs 5 to 6000).

The most shocking thing was that SKODA has not bothered to alter the owner's manual for India, as per our operating conditions. and finally spares prices were exhorbitant indeed.

So I have decided to drop this brand and will go for another car.

Thanks to all those who have provided their valuable inputs.

I think that a user club or forum should be formed for all car / bike users, to take on the manufacturers / dealers, who continue to shortchange the Indian customers.

Well, got my Fabia yesterday, so the reviews can be expected in a few days.

Initial reaction, what can I say, all the irritants are there : Not a very powerful engine, the fuel lid needs a key to open, the owners manual shows an LHD vehicle, you have the column mounted controls on the wrong side, and I could go on.

BUT... Bottom line is, it is an amazing car, and you fall in love with it. It cossets you, cuddles you, and pampers you.

The dislikes are tangible, and with just 40 km done till now, the likes are intangible, but they are there.

Will be less flowery the next time!!

I too wasn't happy with my experience with one of the dealers in Bangalore. When I went there to have a look at the Fabia, the sales executive gave me vague/wrong answers most of the time. Seems like he's used to selling cars to people who don't ask many questions - especially technical ones.

I too posted a technical question on the Skoda website and they forwarded it to the same dealer whom I had a bad opinion about. No surprise that he wasn't able to answer it. Can't understand what the fuss is all about? Skoda (and other car manufacturers too) have to realise that a number of potential customers are interested in more than just the mileage of the car!

what a pathetic situation. The skoda should feel ashamed. seems like, they are not providing any training  to the sales guys.

And, the fabia missing the emote fuel lid opener is not acceptable.....  :(

i feel that, the swift is the best choice, even if a segment lower.

Each person has his own mix of price, power and comfort. So one has to respect all views. In general an elder person wil go more for luxury and less for power.

Untrained salesmen is the bane of the auto industry. It is the same as many 'bosses' claiming with pride that they are computer illiterate.

As far as power goes, the Pete's box (under Rs.30k) will jack it up by at least 20% in Diesels, with no consumption penalty. In fact I am surprised to see that it is not there already.