Durango Dude

What's new about the "new" Toyota Corolla...???

Saw the review on the box last night. The interiors - I will wait and see. Also, let us see how the new engine pans out.

As for the Civic v. Corolla story, I am very suspicious of the Civic due to its tendency to bottom at the first provocation. The suspension needs to be stiffened since raising compromises the handling.

Will some owners educate us about the cost of ownership, esp. with cars which have clocked up more than say 25,000 and 50,000 . Any idea as to how does the resale value hold for the two. 

I think while the Corolla loses out on design flair, it more than makes it up with more practicality.... with its higher seating, Ground Clearance and better space (according to ACI)... also Corolla always had a good ride quality which is all the more important in this part of the world.... octane_1002008-06-23 14:23:14

i own the present gen. corolla, contrary to octane_100, it has pathetic ride quality, doesnt bottom out, but its really stiff & noisy. i contacted toyota many a times for this , but they paid no heed.

the resale values of petrol cars have taken a toll after fuel price hike, but civic holds better than corolla.

engine for new corolla is going to be the same with 136 bhp i suppose, well its very punchy & ive blasted of most of  the cars on highways during short racing stints, reaches 185 sweetly, but becomes grumpy & boomy.

maintainance for corolla is nothing to worry, mine has done 40000 & feels new, normal servicing charges only.

I never felt that corolla had a filmsy built and it was the most adorable car when launched and the advertizment had ricky martien (shake your bon bon) .But the few exterior changes like 10spoke alloys and different rear lamp made it look bad (not against the LED's but why change the interior lamp shape (the reverse lamp one specially)).

i actually fell in for that add. its indeed flimsy & cost cutting is very evident. the incabin plastics are poor & rickety, earlier version did not offer abs even as an option, doors dont close with a thud, switches on the inside are also fidgety. but the main culprit is the suspension, its just uncomfortable.

the good thing about corolla is that its style is not over the top, is understated, right proportions, well rounded package & the choice by default in its segment. its a no nonsense executive sedan.

it appears , if seen through launch timing in india ,present gen. corolla has inspired  the designs of the likes of- ford fiesta, hyundai verna(who i feel have always copied either toyota or honda). these cars look like cousins. so,  an inspiring car!

The Corolla feels built to a price, certainly doesn't do justice to its pricetag. The current car is not a patch on its main competitor the Honda Civic. Even in the new one, some interior plastics still feel cheap and lack design flair. On the outside, however, it is quite a looker. But I still prefer the Civic.

FRG
FuelRunGod2008-06-23 20:16:22

thanks frg' date=' is diesel corolla also expected ? if yes , then by when? [/quote']

Unlike, Honda, Toyota is not new to diesel tech. All it has to do is plonk in the Innova D-4D into the Corolla and it has its diesel sedan. But, it better put in extra sound deadining to improve refinement and reduce in cabin noise levels. The problem with the Corolla is it is light in weight, and therefore the chances of rattles developing is that much faster on our roads. Whereas my Elantra is almost 100 kgs heavier than the Corolla feels quite and solid even after almost 3 years and soaks up bumps much better than the Corolla.

I think the D4d engine is too noisy and needs refinement ,the optra magnum has better refinement but the D4D engine noise remind me of a new gen Qualis but still the newer one engine should make less noise.

well i own the latest corolla h2 model and  the thing i am really impressed is the corolla's engine which is briliiantly quick and fast !! just press the accelerator and  within a few secs the car is hitting 100 though i accept the fact that the engine is not as silent as the civic's ...the suspension is also a bit hard but the handling is really good and the steering feel is better that the civic....and also the fuel efficiency of corolla is better than civic...my is giving around 11 kmpl in city while my freind;s civic is giving around 9-10 kmpl....well the corolla is a car for people who dont want the jazzy detailing of civic but the thing that's bad about civic is its low suspension which is not at all ideal for the indian roads !!!!

well d4d is a latest 3rd gen. engine & refinement aint an issue.

in corolla one sits higher compared to civic. mine has never scrapped a speed breaker or bumps & potholes. corolla has better ride & civic better handling due to low stance.

if youll compare present gen corolla with last gen civic, then coming gen corolla should be compared to next gen civic. in other words both the present cars go head to head , but its the civic that wins for now.

Definitely looks better than the one shown in ACI...... but still no where near civic in terms of styling..... but guess it will play its part as an upmarket,mature, executive sedan without much fuss..... if they plonk a nice diesel and price it rationally they would have already found a buyer smiley2.gif