Mohit Jumrani

Maruti SX4 or Toyota Corolla

DO NOT BUY A NON ABS COROLLA' date=' IT SKIDS. the corolla brakes are really sensitive, depressing the brake pedal more than required causes the wheels to lock up in a non ABS corolla. The corolla is an excellent car, you won't regret for buying one. The sx4 is sluggish and the rear seat is an uncomfortable squeeze for 3, the fuel economy is poor and the interiors rattle. Hope this answers your question.

[/quote']

all models of corolla come with ABS and airbags

You're correct, even the base version comes with an ABS. However, I clearly remember that when the corolla was just launched, they didn't even offer tubeless tires! They were convincing my dad to buy one, so they sent the test car to my place and the wheels locked a bit when i was testing the brakes. Back then, I asked the showroom guy whether it was equipped with ABS, he said that it came with airbags, but had no ABS. Please could you confirm this for me? This puzzles me because I've never seen a non ABS corolla except for the one I drove.

But the brakes are really sensitive if you compare it to the SX4, they don't really have a progressive feel in the corolla. My uncle has the H4 variant and I've driven it frequently.

FRG, please comment. 

As far as reliability is concerned, toyotas are extremely reliable. Have you guys noticed that the SX4 is heavier than the corolla? The SX4 doors close with that 'European thunk' and the doors on the Corolla feel relatively light.

One thing missing in both: the sx4 and corolla - an independent rear suspension.

The SX4 is stiffly sprung, but ride improves at high speeds. The corolla on the other hand, absorbs bumps really well at low speeds and starts jiggling at high speeds.

well and do you really want alloys and music system in your car............

and do you really want airbags in your car...................

well if yes go for SX4

Have you considered any other option like.. aveo, fiesta, city, verna, cedia, optra.. aveo, fiesta, city, optra, cedia they all have airbags and abs though verna comes with abs only.. they all are good cars and i think you should once go n see them and take a test drive also..

Although the Corolla is a better car. But the SX4 ZXI offers airbags and ABS. If the base variant of the Corolla has both these, then its a no brainer. But be advised, Corolla is from a higher segment which means the spares may not be as cheap as those on the SX4.

FRG

A couple of questions - I was also evaluating the cars and the prices i got were Rs. 7.5L for SX4 ZXi and Rs. 9.1L for Corolla HE (On-road Delhi) - and this is after dealer and corp discounts... the prices you quote are much lower... cam you pls clarify if these are actual on-road prices??

My take was as follows:

Corolla - very spartan (no alloys, climate control, music system, airbags) but great engine & gearbox. I found the brakes difficult to modulate despite ABS and finally didnt go for it because of the new model expected in Aug 08

SX4 - shockingly cheap interior quality (but still prefer it over Corolla HE), slightly noisy engine, good gearbox and better ride at speeds over 50km/h than Corolla. Its a mixed bag really, but since we already have a NH City, Camry and Aveo I chose the SX4 Zxi simply because its very diff. from most conventional cars

reliability of both cars seems to be decent, and both will have a similar resale value after 3 years (~3.5-4L). Corolla has better FE, which somewhat offsets the higher initial price, depending on the distance you drive.

to summarize: if you drive within the city and carry more than 3 people, go for the Corolla. (but do consider the Cedia if you dont care about depreciation!). If you drive with 1-2 persons on fast roads then go for SX4.

I dont think you would go wrong with either car

Have you considered any other option like.. aveo' date=' fiesta, city, verna, cedia, optra.. aveo, fiesta, city, optra, cedia they all have airbags and abs though verna comes with abs only.. they all are good cars and i think you should once go n see them and take a test drive also..

[/quote']

i saw a few cars. these 2 are my final options

A couple of questions - I was also evaluating the cars and the prices i got were Rs. 7.5L for SX4 ZXi and Rs. 9.1L for Corolla HE (On-road Delhi) - and this is after dealer and corp discounts... the prices you quote are much lower... cam you pls clarify if these are actual on-road prices??

My take was as follows:

Corolla - very spartan (no alloys' date=' climate control, music system, airbags) but great engine & gearbox. I found the brakes difficult to modulate despite ABS and finally didnt go for it because of the new model expected in Aug 08

SX4 - shockingly cheap interior quality (but still prefer it over Corolla HE), slightly noisy engine, good gearbox and better ride at speeds over 50km/h than Corolla. Its a mixed bag really, but since we already have a NH City, Camry and Aveo I chose the SX4 Zxi simply because its very diff. from most conventional cars

reliability of both cars seems to be decent, and both will have a similar resale value after 3 years (~3.5-4L). Corolla has better FE, which somewhat offsets the higher initial price, depending on the distance you drive.

to summarize: if you drive within the city and carry more than 3 people, go for the Corolla. (but do consider the Cedia if you dont care about depreciation!). If you drive with 1-2 persons on fast roads then go for SX4.

I dont think you would go wrong with either car
[/quote']

i saw the corolla. the lowest model is very different from the rest. thoh HE has got the corolla brand name but its different from H1, exteriors n interiors both. din like it as much as i thought i would. and abt the prices, they are corporate prices. the corolla doesnt look like its worth 8L, seems less...

i think ill go for the sx4 only but i will drive them again and make the decision...