RKNG

maruti zen compressor info

dear all,

after going through this forum, i have seen that many zen owners complaining about a/c compressor failure at around 45K. The problem is that the zen uses the maruti 800 compressor which has been upped to run at twice the speed in the zen resulting in early wear and tear. I donot know if thay have changed the compressor midway in the model lifecycle. It was highlighted back in the auto india days (Hormazd sir and all guys were then in Auto India)1997 zen vs uno issue. I think FRG is also aware of this...

You are misled. Upping the speed of the compressor by 2x is out of the question.Do not forget that the Zen is a higher revving engine than the M800. The compressor has a maximum rating of 12,000rpm!

I have had two zens, both sold after 65,000km and 10 years. I had a compressor solenoid fail in one, and nothing on the other. Zen has a problem of the aluminium hose from failing, due to chafing.The compressor solenoid is mounted on the compressor and not inside it.

Also as per my limited knowledge a compressor is geared to run at a constant speed speed, not at the same speed as the engine..it has nothing to do with engine reving ability as the compressor speed  is always constant and displcement is always same... in case of zens and i have checked this it is 110cc and in case of santro and matiz (erstwhile)it was 130cc.

the best way to check this out is open the hood , engage the ac  at idel speed and see the compressor rotating. If you increase the engine rev also the compresoor rotation speed will be constant. it is constnt gearing.(as per my knowledge)

Also as per my limited knowledge a compressor is geared to run at a constant speed speed' date=' not at the same speed as the engine..it has nothing to do with engine reving ability as the compressor speed  is always constant and displcement is always same... in case of zens and i have checked this it is 110cc and in case of santro and matiz (erstwhile)it was 130cc.

the best way to check this out is open the hood , engage the ac  at idel speed and see the compressor rotating. If you increase the engine rev also the compresoor rotation speed will be constant. it is constnt gearing.(as per my knowledge)
[/quote']

The compressor is connected through the pulleys. If it is running at a visually constant speed then you have a frighteningly loose belt. Typically the compressor runs at 1.2 to 1.5 times the engine speed. You can go all the way as long as you do not exceed the rpm rating of the compressor. A lot of this also depends on the load that the manufacturer wants on the engine. A smaller compressor pulley means more load on the engine, and higher cooling.

sgiitk2008-05-05 06:25:49

If your compressor serves you for 85,000km you have no reason to complain! I had an esteem do 60k+ with no compressor problems, and my Zen's did 68,000 and 55,000 with just the electromagnetic clutch failing as state earlier. The modern R134 compressors may develop problems, since the refrigerant in the presence of moisture becomes corrosive, which was not the case with (now defunct) R12. Also, remember the compressor oil for R12 is not compatible with R34 so you need an expert if you want to change over.