sumit m

Pollution Problem

Hi! I have been driving a Wagon R Lx 2003 model. I have done around 60000Kms till date. For the last six months the CO count has been around 6.0 (against the norm of 0.50). I have been regularly getting the vehicle serviced at Maruti Authorised service stations (competent and Maruti Service masters) and have been using only premium / power/ speed fuel only (get it filled from 2-3 diff pertol pumps), have taken the car to Maruti service master 3 times with this problems. The tried every possible thing to correct the problem, (cleaned injectors, changed O2 sensor, Tapid adjustment, changed catalytic converter) but unfortunately nothing helped in reducing the pollution count. Have not got any revert from them to solve the problem, it seems that no one in Maruti knows the solution to this problem. Have tried calling the head of services at the head office but he is never available. I'm feeling very helpless with this vehicle and feel I have made a mistake by trusting Maruti. Please let me know if there is any solution to this.

60,000km is less than half of the minimum where you can expect engine wear to rear its head. Just on an off chance have you got the compression checked - in case you have a failed ring or (very unlikely but then we are getting into the domain of the improbable). As Sherlock Holmes used to say,:'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, howsoever improbable is the truth".

Thanks for the response, how does one check the compression. One of the engineers commented that they may need to clean the head (excess carbon deposit), however the cost of which would be around Rs 20,000, but again he wasn't sure if that was the way out and they were to check with Maruti and revert.

They take out the plugs and then screw in/push on the compression gage and crank the engine. Low compression means a leak (ring or valves) while a high reading indicates coking. There are now chemical ways of decoking where the idle the engine and feed in some fluid through the injectors. Costs about 1k and takes about 90 minutes. We do not know whether coking is the cause or effect at the moment. Once the source is located decoking should help.

Thanks again, they certainly did not do that. While they did mention regarding the chemical treatment costing around Rs 1200 but as per them there was only 20% of correcting the problem since the pollution level is so high. What cud have caused the carbon deposit anyway, I have a santro which I purchased around the same time and has clocked 67K with similar type of fuel being used and regular service routine, there is no pollution problem. Anyways will try to get the compression checked as well.   

My last post has gone AWOL. Carbon deposit can only come from excess fuel being put into the cylinders, i.e. poor air to fuel ratio, or bad spark. One common cause is adulterated petrol. With mpfi injection feeding in excess fuel are very rare.