Comfortdriver

Petrol or Diesel?

Hi,

I would like to start this thread to discuss various reasons why people choose a petrol or a diesel car. Of late this choice seems to be more of a personal taste rather than the obvious cost difference.

For me, I prefer a petrol car as it is much more refined and smoother. It also results in much lower noise levels inside the cabin.

Thanks

hi guys, currently having indice dls for 3 years. i was intrested in buying another car and sell this one. was very much sure for getz1.3 as its a very solid and better product compared to swift. but now as the prices of fuels rising and will rise more as days go am confused wheter to buy a petrol car or a diesel one..my run now doesnt exceed more to 20-30 kms per day but even maintenance costs almost gets same for both the fuel run cars. kindly suggest...

The way the current government is going the price differential between diesel and petrol will only widen. The NDA gov. was trying to narrow down the gap. So get your crystal ball, predict the next election, and decide.

Very true Sgiitk many people with below 50km per day milege are thinking of going for a diesel as the international market price is increasing daily.

50km per day means 18,000+ km per year. Strictly diesel territory. I suspect the change over point may now be down to 12,000km per annum at an average, with probably 10,000 in some cases. Earlier we reckoned it to be in the 15,00-25,000 regime.

Added: The turbo-diesel gives you fantastic torque but must be revved. A good normally aspirated engine (read petrol) has smoother and more linear power delivery and is (in general) more refined. So the choice depends also on your taste.

sgiitk2008-05-29 10:15:18

currently using indica dls so for now am thinking for swift diesel have heard the back seats of swift are bit cramped and for indica 3 adults were comfortably seated. so what u suggest for swift diesel???

go for diesel.even in diesel i will recommend swift vdi.it has got performance , better ride and handling and economy.if u ride 15000 kms a year then by taking swift u will be saving atleast 35000 a year fuel compared to petrol getz. in swift vdi u spend 2.50 per km on the other hand on petrol vehicle u spend 5 rs per km. in the city driving condition.even when it comes to sale the vehicle diesel would fetch more money than petrol.

hi currently having indice dls for 3 years. i was intrested in buying another car and sell this one. was very much sure for getz1.3 as its a very solid and better product compared to swift. but now as the prices of fuels rising and will rise more as days go am confused wheter to buy a petrol car or a diesel one..my run now doesnt exceed more to 20-30 kms per day but even maintenance costs almost gets same for both the fuel run cars. kindly suggest...

.even when it comes to sale the vehicle diesel would fetch more money than petrol.

no u r wrong petrol will definately fetch more at the time of resale...as petrol cars tend to last for longer time compared to diesel

I guess it has to do with the perception that diesels with their rattle is harsher on the body, and also the perception that a diesel, as it gets older gets costlier and costlier to maintain.

May not be true for the newer oil burners, but our used car prices do derive some basis from perception also.

Also, old car prices may be reflecting the fact that diesels tend to be driven more than the corresponding petrols, so have higher mileage on the clock

I'm putting together a simple excel model to help potential car buyers decide whether to buy a diesel car or a petrol car. One of the questions that came to my mind is whether the maintenance cost of a diesel car is higher than a petrol car in today's era. With the new Crdi engine, do maintenance costs really increase for a diesel car? On a very approximate basis, if the answer is "Yes", what would a very high level difference for the different car segments viz entry level cars, premium hatchbacks, mid level sedans, luxury sedans and SUV/MUV?

Any feedback is welcome. I hope to upload the calculator in the next fortnight, once ready.

Hi Guys,
           Need advice on whether to buy a petrol or diesel i20 Sportz.
 Diesel i20 Sportz is 1.4 Lakh more than the petrol version. Approximately 15K kms per annum.
Intend to keep the car for atleast 6 years. Break even for the extra cost (1.4 Lakh) would happen
around 3 yr / 4 yr based on the assumption that petrol gives 12kmpl and diesel 18 kmpl.

Can you guys please share your thoughts on which is better. thanks.

Regards,

cg

I can surely help you. Which city are you based out of  or alternatively can you let me know the prevalent petrol and diesel prices in your area.

If I assume you reside in Delhi, you are better off buying a diesel car. In today's value, you will be saving roughly Rs.60,000 over the 6 year term.