zander

New Honda City

think 1.3 wud be too under powered for a car @ this price point...if they are looking at a sub 1500cc then the current 1496cc idsi wud probably be an option....think its time we also had proper engine options as in other countries!

I do not think a 1.3 with 90+bhp (remember the old City 1.3, 90bhp with no VTeC or 16V) and a light body (as the City always had) will be quite decent.

well kinshuk again the typical mentality.....if the car's output is good then you should not be worrying over the engine volume....the lesser the volume the more will be the fe....i think honda will tune 1.3 i-vtec to produce atleast 90-100 bhp !!!

The only point with Honda's is that (current City excepted) the engines are short stroke, and high revving. Often peak torque is around 4500rpm and peak power around 6500rpm. Consequently, you need to use the shift enthusiastically to enjoy the car. 

well that's what many test drives complained in the new honda accord that it's peak torque comes in at a very high 4500 rpm and i dont think in any indian  city you will be able to drive at speeds achieved at 4500 rpm....also i want to add that the fuel efficiency of 1.3 i-vtec will be better than the 1.5 l i-dsi engine !!!

Im not very much into the mechanical aspect of things besides the regular (apart from what I read in websites/mags), so think am not a positon to comment on the engine and volume...but I think Honda should have a few engine options and let the buyer configure his car.

Speaking of letting the user choose, they can provide user selectable tune setup modes, i.e, performance & economy mode...

But this will have an impact on the overall vehicle cost; Honda can look at a variant with this option...(like the new Audi A4)

I understand that the current NHC idsi engine which produces 77bhp is tuned in the SE-Asian countries to produce 89bhp! (plz correct me if im wrong)

well the engine tuning options will most probably not coming to india but one thing for you is that the power of the car is important not the engine size....due to our inferior fuel we get de-tuned cars !!!! one of friends owns a d existing nhc vtec....he tells me that the car is superb performance type but its a light car and it doesnt inspires confidence to go beyond 150 kmph !!!!!

i have driven honda idsi on g.t road...car is not at all inspiring above 110 ks...steering is really light at these speeds and i was really not confident driving that car....the main reason for honda buying is first honda status batch ...second is mileage of small hatchback....one can easily get 16-17 kmpl with a.c on higways....apart from that nothing...its spares are on expensive side....and it is being sold at premium for the reason still unknown to me....its has top knotch quality no doubt about that but still vis-a-vis competition they are asking too much for city.

I am afraid if you want power from a small engine it will have to rev high. Also, if you want to rev high the stroke will have to be shortened and the bore made bigger. Voila you have a rev happy engine which is not too good at low revs.

Even in my Accent 1.5 (long stroke design) while I may shift to 5th as low as 800rpm while pottering about town, on the highway this point is more like 3000rpm (approx. 108kph!) when in a hurry.

The same holds true for Turbo Diesels to a degree. Not much juice below 1800-2000rpm, which when you take the gearing into account this is equivalent to about 2700+rpm on a petrol. However, the massive torque covers this up.

Well sgiitk rightly said that revv should be high .Also they should reserve the  1.3lt vtec for the upcoming Jazz and not put an underpowered 1.2lt engine .Also the steering system of the city should improve like fiat has a system of steering feel by pushing a button .ALso the power to weight ratio makes a driving difference the cars weight will increase that is now a trend kind of a thing .

well thanks for enlightening sgiitk.....but it's a very strong chance of 1.5 idsi engine not making it to the nhc....i was telling you about my friend who owns hc zx vtec and tells the car doesnt encourages you to go beyond 130 kmph....but well these are japanese cars which are quiet light weight !!!! but one thing that bothers me is that hc zx;s steering does not tightens up at high speed...it still very soft which is not good for highway driving !!!!

well and regarding jazz its gonna be powered by 1.2 l engine...whether its a vtec or not i cant say but honda wants to avail excise duty exemption on jazz and thus pricing it attractively near swift......the engine is gonna make something in the reigon of 75-80 bhp.....which is gonna be decent given japanese inherent liking for light weighted cars....

Hi, the latest edition of 'Autocar' confirms that the car in the pics is the new Honda City. This should clear the doubts many members had earlier.

and please who was that person who was calling the car to be fiesta and jetta ????? i think in terms of industry info autoindia knows best so people should avoid making such vague comments just in order to get noticed !!!!