nishweth

opel astra

Hai i think everyone seems to have forgotten the good old opel astra. i remember when it was launched it was in everybodys wish list. Today also a well maintained astra could turn heads of people. It is a strong vehicle and the first lot 16LZ2 engine plus F18 gearbox is truly a solid work house. Please post ur thoughts and pictures.

Nishweth

i agree to you nishwet. we owned the 1996 astra for 4 years and then we bought a 2001 astra club. we still have it and must say, it has the most comfortable interiors, build and ride quality. no civics or corrolas can beat it in this respect.

It was a great car with all good features like cooled glove box which is not found even 2day in luxury cars...Gm i.e opel n chevy are always known for their ride quality ...the only thing was its mileage n spare parts which were n are very very expensive

Hai raj could you please post pictures of your car and also a long term report.

Nishweth

hey buddy, our astra is in kerela while i am in mumbai, but rest assured, whenever i go there next, i will definetely take some pics.

It was a great car with all good features like cooled glove box which is not found even 2day in luxury cars...Gm i.e opel n chevy are always known for their ride quality ...the only thing was its mileage n spare parts which were n are very very expensive

those who buy german cars know that their spares are expensive and the mileage is less

Hi, i too love the good old Opel Astra. The most lovable aspect about the car is its solid build. The way the chunky doors shut says it all. I would say its like a mini Skoda smiley2.gif.

My uncle owned an Astra 1.6 MPFI, Silver colour. It was great fun to drive it. Now he has replaced it with a Toyota Corolla.

what was ur 96 astra's colour' date='how kilometers did it clock. what all work did u do on it and what is the mileage u got.[/quote']

my first astra was in silver and was with us for 4 years. eventually, we sold it.

my second was the astra club with two tone paint (kashmere), bonnet scoops, spoiler, sunroof, alloys and all the goodies. it was the first car in its segment to offer a trip computer which showed the instantaneous and average FE, averahe car speed, stop watch, outside temp and the range of travel with remaining fuel.

the ride quality was the best part though. it was an apt car for indian conditions.

Yeah! it was in good condition .They are planning to sell it because service is a problem and the mirror broke down and new one costed 5k which can't be borne that easily .

Well whom will they give but I think many opel owners like Corsa ,sail ,swing most of the body parts is same so GM can even import them in bulk and so they are happy to give service exceptional case is Astra.

I owned a maroon astra from 1997 till 2004. Till today it remains my favourite car. GM did a poor job of marketing the car and  did not bring in upgrades as required (the car we had was 3 generations old when they discontinued it). I feel GM made the biggest mistake by killing off the Opel brand and getting in Daewoo disguised as Chevy.