Dear All,

My Aug. 99 Matiz has done 99000 KMs. For the last 6 months while cruising, its engine suddenly losses all power (either no current or no fuel condition) for 10 -20 seconds and then it restarts. Sometimes the yellow engine light also comes on. I have changed 2 sensors and recently changed the fuel pump also. After changing the fuel pump it ran smoothly for 15 days but the problem has reappeared now. The local mechanics have not been able to diagnose the problem properly.

Can any body suggest a solution or possible source of problem. The car has given me sterling service so far, so I do not want to sell it even after I purchase a new car.

The problem appears when the engine gets overheated

Overheated! smiley2.gif  I hope it is not seizing. If the engine is getting too hot check the air flow to the radiator, thermostat, hoses, water pump in that order. Channels in the radiator do not get blocked after we started using anti-freeze on a regular basis. Also, is your cooling fan working?

Well the engine does not actually gets overheated, as the radiator has proper coolant. But the problem appears when the whether is hot (over 40*C) or the a/c has been working for too long in the hot whether.

I was also thinking of getting the things checked suggested by you as probably some temprature sensor is cutting off fuel supply. It is quite possible that the cooling system is either not working properly or is choked somewhere.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

I dont whether the thing i am telling yu wud help yu aur not......... my santro (99) faced almost a similar problem while accelarating and was later diagnosed as having falty clutch plate

Well the engine does not actually gets overheated' date=' as the radiator has proper coolant. But the problem appears when the whether is hot (over 40*C) or the a/c has been working for too long in the hot whether.[/quote']

You overheating, and the engine overheating are different matters. What is the indication of the temperature gauge. If that stays near normal then the cooling system is kosher.

Then it should be the fuel or the ignition system. When the engine stalls can you check whether you are getting a spark or not. This should eliminate one of the two. The mention that after changing the fuel pump you were Ok for 15 days (assuming that the conditions under which the failure occurs were met) points towards a fuel system problem.