Sign in to follow this  
santoshrajkumar

Hill thrill with no spill

A young friend of mine, Aman, from <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Bangalore visited me up in Kodaikanal recently. I was pleased that he wanted to learn how to drive in the hills, and he was only new to city driving as well. So what we did was take turns driving in Kodai town in our family Maruti 800 with me talking him through whatever I was doing and pointing out mistakes. It was an experience that taught us both something, I think. I learned that India desperately needs to overhaul the license system where one can get a license if able to move the car from standstill, let alone a hill.

The roads in Kodai are narrow and with a steep incline for most part so many times there isn

I loved it reading Kodai is nice place and the best bit cycling around the lake .I think the road their is still wider than some northern hill stations .Also I prefer a diesel being driven on hills .

ya..i went to ooty recently though we went in a taxi,i learnt much about driving in hills...

about people in front warning about oncoming vehicles to those at their back....blind hair-pin bends...really foggy roads at even noon time if it rains....a very dangerous drive if at nights...a couple of accidents...and the importance of ensuring that a vehicle doesnt get repair/punctures in the middle if a hill....

Actually, I prefer doing a ghat section during the night because in the night you can see a car's headlights coming round a blind corner so you get little bit of extra time to prepare yourself. However, it also has to be said that I am used to the Kodai ghats where there are reflectors and signboards all the way up to Kodai from the plains. Though one can't afford to relax and count on them to do all the work for you because a couple of signs say the road is goes left when it actually goes right!