santoshrajkumar

Light-headed

Have you ever been frustrated driving at night because all the oncoming vehicles or even vehicles behind don't dip their headlights? It has been a dangerous problem since we started using the highways and halogen headlights here in India.Not only are blinding headlights irritating, but they also totally block out people and obstacles on the road in the area between the bright lights. I think its time we educate truck and bus drivers, along with car drivers and show them how effective and how much easier it makes life on the road when two oncoming vehicles dip their lights. Visibility increases and strain on the eyes decreases exponentially. Maybe highway police should fine drivers heavily who don't follow this rule. Any other ideas on how we can implement this?

ya...i face tremendous hardship when i drive my HH hunk in the nights.Every time when an oncoming vehicle comes i am not able to see any thing in front of me...i dont know if its my head light that is too dim or others are too bright....so i slow down considerably to ~20 kmph..sometimes i follow a car or bigger vehicle to avoid lighting of oncoming vehicle smiley4.gif

once before i have actualy hit a old guy in front of me because of this...

Yes, the plight of a motorcyclist is indeed a sorrowful one. More so since you have only two wheels and need to balance the bike as well in the face of an emergency braking or speeding up situation.

Yes, hitting the old man must have been nerve-wracking; I hope he and you weren't seriously injured. You were lucky since it could have been much worse which thankfully doesn't sound like it was.

Is the government reading this?????

Well the drivers in India are going to be same for atleast 5 yrs even if drastic measures are take. Company's like Ashoka leylans,Tata and Eicher are now making trucks woth lights low down near the bumpers to avoid glare .The most impt. thing is that 95% of roads don't have dividers which cut the lights .Many car owner have realized the glare fact and they switch parking lights and turn on the fog lamps only.

Very true about the divider point. And it was interesting to learn about the manufacturers designing trucks and buses now with lights lower down. Do you know if all trucks and buses are being manufactured like this now?

However, even if the lights are installed lower down, drivers still need to dip their lights when they see oncoming traffic. Because if you notice, two cars can easily blind each other if they drive with the main beam on even though the lights are lower down on a car.

It think Gujarat and MP have somewhat solved this problem .In gujarat a yellow strip is stuck vertically to the side of right lamp and in MP a black strip is put horizontally on the top of the headlamp on both . I think in Maharashtra it is a black dot in the middle but now cars with multiple barrel lamps have forgotten it.

ya.......i think this black stripe system is also followed in A.P as well because when i went to hydrabad most of the cars had a black stripe on their hdlights.........smiley1.gif...and this highbeam issue is also a big problem in delhi too...but sometimes some educated people dip their beam when they see the oncoming traffic.........smiley17.gifvibhor2008-06-14 06:42:37

ya nothing serious happened....just taught me one more safety rule to follow..

smiley2.gif

I have heard that xenons are more bright and non-glaring and less power consuming...is it true ? if so do they cost much higher than halogens ?

Maybe highway police should fine?drivers?heavily?who don't follow this rule.

I have not seen Highway Police vehicles during my night driving. May be they too need Sleep as we do.

One example of this is recent Thefts on the Pune-Mumbai Expressway. I read around 10 days ago in TOI (Pune) about this thefts.

When I see an oncoming vehicle (2,3,4,5,6.... Wheelers) with High Beam, I switch my Headlights to Low Beam and keep Flashing Low-High-Low-high until he switch to Low Beam or I pass across him. I really do this.

My brother uses High Beam even in City Driving Conditions. smiley7.gif He does not use Spectacles .i.e., he has Correct Vision and still uses High Beam in City.

He does not switch to Low Beam even on seeing an oncoming vehicle.smiley3.gif

When I see any (Authorised) person driving our car with High Beam even when he know there is an oncoming vehicle, I feel pity on his knowledge that he needs High Beam in such conditions. smiley18.gif .

Typo Corrected.sudeepd2009-05-24 11:22:47

@Darxide

I liked the below ones

1. Bad Boys with Clear Mirrored Lens which costs $12.00.

http://www.bikerwares.com/store/store.php?crn=68&rn=282&action=show_detail

2. Hotshot Flame G-Tech having Lens Colour G-Tech Clear which costs $18.00.

http://www.bikerwares.com/store/store.php?crn=68&rn=323&action=show_detail

Can you Please tell me, which Stores in India stock the "Bikerwares"?

sudeepd2009-05-24 14:07:37