jimgeo

Why dont we like Estates/ Station Wagons?

I think it has something to do with the shape. Some estates look real boring.

I personally like the shape of the Marina compared to Indica and Indigo, but the Marina doesn't sell well. I also feel the SX4 would have looked better as an estate compared to a sedan. In fact, with it's sloping front the SX4 estate would appear more like a mini-SUV. (They already have an SX4 hatchback abroad.)

I'm game for an estate if something nice comes up in the 8L range. The Fabia estate (discussed sometime back on the Fabia experiences thread) is one car I wish they brought to India.

Let's face it. There's hardly any parking space available. I own an Elantra, I have had atleast 5 instances, where senseless biker's park one in front and one behind my car. And it gives me some anxious moments before I wriggle out going back and forth burning precious fuel, sometimes I feel like just going the distance and clip both bikes and cause these *******s some damage. Now it's going to be that much difficult to do that with an estate. First, we as a lot, lack civic sense<Not Honda Civic>.

even i dont like some estates because of their XL size and ugly looks...smiley36.gif eg ; indigo marina, fiat adventure, weekend but however some of them are gud also like baleno altura it was a sleek lookin car... (but its now its not in production) anyways it was nice............ smiley2.gifvibhor2008-06-15 05:41:51

We have a mental block against hatches in the mid segment and higher. Possibly the same continues for the estates.

With the exception of the Skoda Octavia, which is doing reasonably well, despite being a hatch.

We have a mental block against hatches in the mid segment and higher. Possibly the same continues for the estates.

With the exception of the Skoda Octavia' date=' which is doing reasonably well, despite being a hatch.
[/quote']

I am not so sure but I think octy is not a hatch but a liftback.

This is what I read somewhere on the net some time back.

It said something like many people think its a hatch but its a liftback.

Though I don't understand the difference between them myself.

I think the problem is estates look a lot mores sedate, also choice is a big factor as stated earlier. However the Skoda Combi has now been discontinued leaving just the marina. Also the ongoing Octavia does not fall under the estate category nor is it a hatchback. It is however a Notchback.

The definition can be found here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notchback

whether you call it mental block or whatever...its all personal perception....i personally dont like indigo marina or for that matter some of the other station wagons....liked palio adventure though 

Estates / Station Wagons are percieved as load luggers here. People dont realise that they make an ideal family vehicle. We had an 'Triumph Estate' in 70s and it provided us the most varied and enjoyable motoring experiences. After folding the rear seat, we used to get a fully flat double bed space, on which we used to play cards or have a moving snacks / lunch party. Once my father broke his leg and his whole leg was plastered. The car served him as a most comfortable moving bed / ambulence for more than a month. 'Billu' our big Alsatian, loved to lounge on the back seat or in the boot.

Sadly we had to sell it for lack of spares availability, but it was the best car we had.

Well you are right but I think I had read somewere than some skoda car rear seats fold and become a double bed in a particular varient is it the combi or some other .Also which estates are slated to come here.

Well you are right but I think I had read somewere than some skoda car rear seats fold and become a double bed in a particular varient is it the combi or some other .Also which estates are slated to come here.

Octavia & Laura are not estates and their rear seat after folding just provides an entry into boot from cabin side. Head room in boot area remains same.

This is good only for loading luggage and not for passengers.

But in estate you get full head room as in the cabin and can be comfortably used by passengers

We don't need estates, which is why we don't buy them. Large families and tourist taxis prefer MPVs, and small families prefer something fuel-efficient and easy to park. Where's the need?

If any manufacturer can create desirability, we'll automatically find that we need them, just like we 'need' sedans right now. :)

dude can you tell me what is the use of estate for police....??...well till now i havent saw any cop in a estate in india .......but if there are kindly get me informed................smiley36.gifvibhor2008-06-19 11:38:03