jimgeo

Why dont we like Estates/ Station Wagons?

I've never driven an estate, but are they really more difficult to drive or park? They are similar in length and width compared to the sedan version, aren't they? If they are, I have a feeling that it should be more easy to judge while parking an estate.

yes you are probably right jupiter, estates are usually derived from sedans with almost same length or maybe a marginal increase. they are actually easier to reverse or park as theres no trunk that blocks your rear vision. i have driven a tata estate long time back, it was ok. but estates lose in handling department.

its just that saloons are believed to be more prestigious than estates here. indian family sizes are also such that they need more seating space than luggage.

its a part of inbuilt pshyche also, whenever we think of a beautiful or aspirational car, we think of a saloon. if its a design competition one is taking part in one would most probably draw a saloon or a suv , estate wount figure anyware. people have swanky posters of saloons or suv on walls, but never a estate. its just that someone with a definite purpose for extra luggage would opt for  estate.

i personally think purpose should be on  top of the list  of priority when shopping  for a car & buy a car that suits ones needs the best.

Here is some snaps of Corolla Estate (Fielder, Axio). and Corolla MPV (Verso). Are they looking too bad as some of our friends told about estates /MPV generally? 

5-2007-toyota-corolla-early.jpg

Corolla Fielder

8-2007-toyota-corolla-early.jpg

Corolla Verso MPV:

t8_cov_car_gal22_770_tcm280-620932.jpg

t8_cov07_car_gal20_770_tcm280-620931.jpg

No........they are not at all bad that much.....but we are here mainly talking of those indian estates with their ugly looks n XL size.....(eg: marina, adventure etc) the pics u hav givn are of those estates which r not in sale in india ...hope carmakers get aware of this n bring such nice estates here........ smiley2.gif

these cars look good in pics. but you also have to post pics of their sedan versions for comparisons. the verso is looking moreof a large hatchback or supermini.

I really love the estates, unfotunately not too many good options available in India. Service standards of TATA are seriously questionable. I think our car makers need to make affordable estates and the same cud sell like hot cakes. If we have an estate version of say an SX4 or a Honda city for just extra 20-30K, I'm sure many wud prefer to go in for the same rather than the basic sedan.

yes sumit for an estate to do well , it will have to be designed exceptionally good.

honda has already shown its prowess in designing, maruti is catching up on the trend. but remember maruti failed miserably on baleno estate.

I think baleno failed anyways initially. Again, the key reason was that maruti was known more for small, value for money cars and not for luxury sedans. I remeber people in my office eligible to buy a sedan wud never consider a Maruti till around 2003-04. Post which Baleno was one of the options being considered and many bought it.

If Maruti comes with an estate version of SX4 now and prices it aggressively it cud be a still be a big hit (I wud buy it for sure).

There has been a shift in buyers liking with more and more people opting for family vehicles (SUVs / MUVs)as is evident from a sharp increase in the unit sales of UVs in the last year and current yr (tata has recorded around 30% increase in sales of UV in 2007-08 and a 85% increase during the months of Apr-May08 against same period last yr).

If eastates are reasonably priced by one of the reliable manufacturers, there is all the possibility of success.

yes sumit , buyers do like suvs & muvs. but must not forget these are used as people movers. suvs  haul people & carry loads of appeal for the buyer.

america which is the largest market for suvs , has seen a downtrend in recent times due to fuel situation . this trend might as well rub of on the indian consumer.

an estate would  be a little heavier than its saloon countepart & hence will consume little more amount of fuel. a typical indian consumer might not want to spend extra on fuel & thus stick to  the basic version.

definitely sumit, estates are more practical than saloons.

i can think of one car that could do well as an estate- marui desire estate ddis. desires boot looks out of place & sync with rest of the car, but imagine a very neetly done curvacious back side . and maruti would not have to spend a lot in its conception. they can take inspiration from tata & spawn different variants on the same platform.

Agree with u speed. The reason for decline in the SUV demand overseas is continued recession in the economy for the past fwe years. While we are witnessing some slow down, the car sales are still zooming despite fuel price hike, price hike by manufacturers, excise duty hike on big cars. The key reason has been new vehicle launches and still easy availablity of loan.

check all these out and some times back autocar has spypics of optra estate which was purely for testing and no thoughts of launching it....it looked good though...And baleno altura worst looking estate ever with dull finishing