jimgeo

Why dont we like Estates/ Station Wagons?

Even i think we haven't bought many estates simply because there weren't too many which looked appealing.... though the Altura looked better than the Baleno sedan it still hardly was a looker... and also it had a steep price of 9.XX lakhs.. which put it in the same league of the Lancers and the Astras...

I think only estate which met with some 'success' if you can call that... was the Corsa swing... i have seen quite a lot (more than the other estates of yesteryears) of swings on the road. It had cute styling and wasn't overly bulky or large....

And with Marina, Tata has a strong product (i feel this is the best looking among Indica family...) and if you compare it to other estates i should say it's doing quite well....

the design of Estate version itsself gets a wierd feeling on your spine and opnly if you got such huge Luggage or thigns to put everyday then its Ok but for a kinda chap like me i wont pure styling and estate version not basedon styling!

Cheers!!!

I have found that estates are costlier than their sedan partners and all you get is more boot space. Less curves and more box like shape so not exactly better looking. But yes estate can be look good but why do you want that extra space? Its not like you can stack things up there, as it gonna end up on your head.

Some of the pics shown earlier on the thread show some estates abroad. But I feel their (what do you call the distance between the front wheel and rear wheel) ..... has been increased thus increasing the leg space. If so than its good.

Estates are good if they are made from starting as estates only. If they just make a sedan into a estate and nothing less than nothing in it for me.

Though this estate may have some adavantage I am overlooking. As I have seen many estates ae 4x4. Maybe they have better handling because of their shape. And have more efficient braking too. Is it so? 

if an estate is derived from a saloon, then probably saloon would handle better because of less bulk in the back. also maybe a saloon is a bit more aerodynamic.

estate would also have a longer braking distance due to more weight.

if u want small boot in estate than its probably a premium hatch but heighted not like srv or fabia but like jazz or wat shown in previous page of this thread....i liked the skoda combi very much but was tooo expensive

in india i think the only car which was fresh and not converted from sedan was TATA estate which was 1st model(estate) of that kind in india...i have travelled to hardwar and masoori in that...was damn spacious...the rear space was like contessa vey comfy...

skoda combi must have been the biggest failures of modern times.

i too have travelled in tata estate, it was good for its times. but i believe it shared chassis with sierra & sumo.

which is fine but it shud be reasonably priced. We can't have a saloon for 7-7.5 lakhs and an estate for 9 lakhs (guess that was a case with baleno). if the diff is 30-50k and the looks are reasonably good there is no way it wud not sell given the additonal practicality as a family vehicle.