akj53in

Loot by Honda

Govt has hiked duty by 15,000/- on cars having engines between 1500 to 2000 CC capcity. The price increase after other taxes should have been around 18,000, but Honda has jacked the prices of CIVIC 1.8 VMT by Rs 30,000/=.

How can they justify such increase. Just becuase they are not facing any tough competition, they think they can get away with such absurd price hikes.

HONDA is on a ball in india, its one of highly overated manufacturers. by now they very well know that the ignorant(foolish) indian customer can be easily taken for a ride. a massive show of arrogance came in the form of hybrid civic - i mean what are they thinking? insanely high priced. fact of the matter is neither honda nor any other manufacturer is  concerned about environment. its only the laws that are forcing them. honda very well knows a lot of show off types are going to make a beeline, as has happened in the past. but planting trees is a better & efficient way to go green. such products should be shunned totally.                                                                                                                   by the way can someone tell how much profit are manufacturers making on cars - model wise. this would give a fair view of how much discount can a consumer ask for. i think honda must be saving the price of a regular civic on a hybrid. & their executives must be having big laughs in the boardrooms- poor indians.

HONDA is on a ball in india' date=' its one of highly overated manufacturers. by now they very well know that the ignorant(foolish) indian customer can be easily taken for a ride. a massive show of arrogance came in the form of hybrid civic - i mean what are they thinking? insanely high priced. fact of the matter is neither honda nor any other manufacturer is  concerned about environment. its only the laws that are forcing them. honda very well knows a lot of show off types are going to make a beeline, as has happened in the past. but planting trees is a better & efficient way to go green. such products should be shunned totally.                                                                                                                   by the way can someone tell how much profit are manufacturers making on cars - model wise. this would give a fair view of how much discount can a consumer ask for. i think honda must be saving the price of a regular civic on a hybrid. & their executives must be having big laughs in the boardrooms- poor indians.
[/quote']

When there are snobs who buy Laura DSG for 18 lakh<ex-showroom>; there's nothing wrong in bringing in "real cutting" edge tech for 21.5 lakh <ex-showroom>. Don't have two sets of rules: one for Skoda and one for Honda.

hey dude see you have yourself mentioned SNOB, how good can a snob get? i never appretiated skoda, only ridiculed honda.  you can go ahead & tarnish skoda. even skodas fabia is overtly priced. we were only discussing latest launched car.                                                                                                                           you can get a normal laura for around 13l, dsg isnt essential, whereas hybrid tech. is very much essential. if people will gallop for civic hybrid at this price , it will send a very wrong signal to forthcoming hybrids- they all will be priced high thereby negating the whole effect. in near future indian car companies would come up with cheaper hybrids, maybe on existing model platforms. then you would realise hybrid tech is not all that expensive. and we would all appretiate them.                                                                                                                      the profits international car companies are making in india, major portion is taken to their homeland & not contributing to indias growth. so, make people aware not to throw their own countrys wealth away, it is much more needed here.

dude no offence meant but honda is not to blame here. its government. atleast they should reduce the taxes on the hybrids. i mean 102%

smiley3.gif

they have no other option. except to import it into india. so unless govt. reduces the taxes no one can do any thing.

sorry for posting again. but i was watching cnn ibn autoshow they say that it will give 20 kmpl. even a diesel would do that. so if i got 20 lkhs i would go buy a diesel.

and the honda guys say that if the demand is more they will produce it locally and the cost would go down.

I will try to bring some rationality back into this somewhat overheated discussion.

Please note that:

1. If there was one perfect car for everybody then the variations will not be there.Remember the mai baap sarkar deciding that Indian needed only two cars and gave us the Fiat and Amby as the options. Will you want to go back to that?

The range is there because everyone has his/her own preferences. To deride somebody else's selection simple because it does not match my whims is not good.

If a car is no good then it will not sell. Let the marketplace decide.

3. Coming back to the topic: I did not see any kudos to Honda when they marginally reduced prices after the drop in CST by 1%. The hike of Rs.30,000 does sound a bit excessive. With steel prices likely to go up from July-August expect price rises all over.May be they are vectoring this in.

I may add that the concept of CST is totally at loggerheads with VAT.

Honda is not to blame here ...it attracts 104% duty so Honda will not sell it in low prices and covering loss from its pocket...if anyone wanna buy they can otherwise you have other option no body forcing you to buy an overpriced car whether its Skoda or Honda...Who we are to blame....And govt has cut excise duty from 24 to 14% for hybrids if produced here...

the mai baap sarkar, is not making all the profits on car sales only, what about car companies? how much profit are they making per car. do not always ridicule yourself voted sarkar.                                                                                                                                                                                                                its not about deriding someones choice but trying to warn someone - pal theres a ditch ahead, fall if you please! forums are for awareness also.                                                                                                                            honda can easily manufacture hybrid in india , why import? they never imported city / accord / crv.

First let them check the demand for it and then produce it...i know that with this much price they cant see any demand but production in not like buying the vegetables....if its that easy u open up a plant and produce these hybrids....And ya everytime the Govt. is to blame for there work and taxes and all nonsense things done by them.....And why any company will not make profits they are not here for charity ...if they find that there products are selling well at high prices why will they give discounts...after all they will ofcourse charge for thier goodwill and name....Its govt work that their citizens are not looted and so warn the manufacturers but our govt itself is in process of LOOTING their citizens then how can warn these companies..almost every companies in every sectors(MNC's) sells thier products at high prices....U cant do anything about it..

the whole point is to make people aware not to buy at such hefty prices & save your hard earned buck. value for money is what 99% indians aspire. they are not studying market but are playing wicked by starting with a high price tag & influencing other makers also to do suit, so that everyone can have a pie out of the indian consumer. suggesting rigthfully to people isnt a bad virtue!                                                                                                                                                            nobody is there for charity, but the price has to be somewhat justified, a2-3 lakh inc would have been ok.

but u cut down the 104% duty and other taxes and then calculate the price and it will be value for money....so thing is that they will not earn high profits and only one authority here is to blame and thats only our Govt nobody else whatever you say buddy.. 

my 2 cents - presently the duty is high and I believe the govt needs to reduce it if they want to promote eco friendlier cars - ateast till the production commences from India. On the comment of exorbitant pricing, Honda is an economic organisation and they will want to make profits - no body forces anyone to buy an overpriced car but you still see a lot of Hondas on Indian roads -  they can price it high and they are doing it - would'nt you & me have done the same.Coming back to hybrid cars, they are a step in the right direction - fossil fuel wont last for ever - so very obvious that the prices will be higher initially - makes little sense to crib about it

would you buy a maruti 800 hybrid for 5l? your ans lies in this ques. civic hybrid is a right car at a wrong price. people are not going to go in for it because of efficiency - thats offset by the price tag, environment is also not going to benifit - to few nos. so, its not a recomendable car by any stretch of imagination. only a extremely die hard honda fan is an exception. its just not an economically viable solution

would you buy a maruti 800 hybrid for 5l? your ans lies in this ques. civic hybrid is a right car at a wrong price. people are not going to go in for it because of efficiency - thats offset by the price tag' date=' environment is also not going to benifit - to few nos. so, its not a recomendable car by any stretch of imagination. only a extremely die hard honda fan is an exception. its just not an economically viable solution

[/quote']

but there are a lot of so called "Die hard Honda Fans" around.!!!smiley36.gif

bad thing because theyll drive the markit dynamics further,  showing undue intrest  would not push the company to reduce prices. whereas there must be a huge price diff that could be brought down, but the customers have to be demanding for that. 

Imagine...there are 2 parallel roads...one on which only Policy makers travel and the other on which everyone else travels and these roads never meet (though unpaved link roads r possible) !

The blame shouldnt go to Honda for wrong pricing; they've started a new category, soon there will be other manufacturers entereing the segment, who will then create a 'lobby', which will inturn lubricate the system and get some sops for hybrid cars and then my dear friends we'll be able to afford green cars, till then lets appreciate those who buy the green civic and make the above happen!

If I had the need to buy a car, in the 20-25L bracket I would def choose the hybrid civic over others!

As far as being a style statement (and thinking on these lines), arent all cars beyond say 10-12L bracket some sort of an attempt by owners to flaunt their financial powess?

I feel a car of the size of a City, Optra is good enough for everyone...for larger families there are Innovas and Taveras...but then we think of what image a car has, people think twice before buying a vehicle popular in the taxi segment say a Tavera/ Innova...you can call it a dicotomy of sorts, we want expensive tech and that too cheap (with a passive Government to boot)! Nehow the real green cars would be the Fuel Cell cars...Civic hybrid is only a begining!

PS: Why just cars, everything imported into India faces ridiculous duties...imagine quality alcoholic beverages being taxed @ 168%!