akj53in

Loot by Honda

guys............dont buy civic

hybrid !!!!!!!!

if want to ride home a hybrid ......there is a good news >>

tatas & m&m GM ....    r workin on hybrids.........for their car

if there is competetion ..surely honda  will  check their  prices >>

First, you got to commend Honda for bringing in a hybrid. Second, you don't get worth while discounts on its City, even now; such is the quality of business they have here in India. Honda is up there; right at the top as far as India is concerned. Toyota has totally lost the plot, here; after the Innova there have been no worthwhile launches or announcements, except rock bottom discounts on the Corolla, and they have taken Corolla a step below, with a bare bone basic model, which sure is a retrograde step. Honda has four models( City, Civic, Accord, CRV) which are top dogs in their respective segments; to play with against the 4 models Toyota, (Corolla, Innova, Camry, Prado) if you can consider the Camry and Landcruiser Prado, as mainstream models.

Prado is in a different category with the Montero ,CRV comparable is Fortuner .Also Vitera sales have increased because the service and spare parts is available at many places even in remote hill areas Maruti workshops . The A/T sales account for 15% of the total sold.

technology is only beneficial if its meant for masses, if only a select few can afford , its no good . honda has showcased hybrid at this price to push the sales of gassguzzlers- accord & crv ,which are facing stiff competition from more fuel efficient cars(in the wake of fuel price hike). honda still is selling its petrols only , every other manufacturer has diesel in its arsenal, why hasnt honda brought in a diesel? ans is it wants to sell its petrol models on whose technology developement it has spent a fortune, petrols are on their last legs, so honda wants to sell as much as they can before a technology shift takes place. a cheaper hybrid will make more impact than a first hybrid.

ya but someone has to start it then with the help of competition you will get same at low price..... even this process is going to be same again if the launches are delayed so its a good move...If it was done 3-4 years back u migt have seen some indian hybrids(manufactured here) on our roads...

Imagine...there are 2 parallel roads...one on which only Policy makers travel and the other on which everyone else travels and these roads never meet (though unpaved link roads r possible) !

The blame shouldnt go to Honda for wrong pricing; they've started a new category' date=' soon there will be other manufacturers entereing the segment, who will then create a 'lobby', which will inturn lubricate the system and get some sops for hybrid cars and then my dear friends we'll be able to afford green cars, till then lets appreciate those who buy the green civic and make the above happen!

If I had the need to buy a car, in the 20-25L bracket I would def choose the hybrid civic over others!

As far as being a style statement (and thinking on these lines), arent all cars beyond say 10-12L bracket some sort of an attempt by owners to flaunt their financial powess?

I feel a car of the size of a City, Optra is good enough for everyone...for larger families there are Innovas and Taveras...but then we think of what image a car has, people think twice before buying a vehicle popular in the taxi segment say a Tavera/ Innova...you can call it a dicotomy of sorts, we want expensive tech and that too cheap (with a passive Government to boot)! Nehow the real green cars would be the Fuel Cell cars...Civic hybrid is only a begining!

PS: Why just cars, everything imported into India faces ridiculous duties...imagine quality alcoholic beverages being taxed @ 168%!
[/quote']                                                                                                                  "if"i have 20-25l, ill buy civic hybrid, but even if you dont have, still you can go to showrooms & test drive cars in this price bracket. after doing so youll say " if i have 20-25l ill never buy civic hybrid. beause in this price bracket you would get very fine top of the line cars. all cars beyond 10-12l  bracket are not just style statement, there is parallel increase  in comfort & performance.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            when there is so much hue and cry after 1re. inc. in prices of fuel & dal & the whole system is brought close to a shutdown, why be a mute spectator & appretiate a car maker for almost  a re10l inc in price tag. sorry i dont buy that. as srk says in an ad that santusht kyun ho, thoda wish karo! so, demand people as its your right.

no no they pay heed to every small happening, india is a golden eagle for them . such a booming economy of over billions, they simply cant afford to overlook .

eg. i had some issue with my honda city, local agency would turn deaf ears to it, so i wrote to honda headquarters japan  & pat came the reply , matter got sorted in no time, one of my friend had it with hyundai accent & on complaint , bvr subbu himself got in touch.

this might not be totally relevant but goes on to show how parent company is bothered about consumers.

we have the power through forums & other media to highlight our demands, which when come to their notice , wount be totally ignored.

Imagine...there are 2 parallel roads...one on which only Policy makers travel and the other on which everyone else travels and these roads never meet (though unpaved link roads r possible) !

The blame shouldnt go to Honda for wrong pricing; they've started a new category' date=' soon there will be other manufacturers entereing the segment, who will then create a 'lobby', which will inturn lubricate the system and get some sops for hybrid cars and then my dear friends we'll be able to afford green cars, till then lets appreciate those who buy the green civic and make the above happen!

If I had the need to buy a car, in the 20-25L bracket I would def choose the hybrid civic over others!

As far as being a style statement (and thinking on these lines), arent all cars beyond say 10-12L bracket some sort of an attempt by owners to flaunt their financial powess?

I feel a car of the size of a City, Optra is good enough for everyone...for larger families there are Innovas and Taveras...but then we think of what image a car has, people think twice before buying a vehicle popular in the taxi segment say a Tavera/ Innova...you can call it a dicotomy of sorts, we want expensive tech and that too cheap (with a passive Government to boot)! Nehow the real green cars would be the Fuel Cell cars...Civic hybrid is only a begining!

PS: Why just cars, everything imported into India faces ridiculous duties...imagine quality alcoholic beverages being taxed @ 168%!
[/quote']                                                                                                                  "if"i have 20-25l, ill buy civic hybrid, but even if you dont have, still you can go to showrooms & test drive cars in this price bracket. after doing so youll say " if i have 20-25l ill never buy civic hybrid. beause in this price bracket you would get very fine top of the line cars. all cars beyond 10-12l  bracket are not just style statement, there is parallel increase  in comfort & performance.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            when there is so much hue and cry after 1re. inc. in prices of fuel & dal & the whole system is brought close to a shutdown, why be a mute spectator & appretiate a car maker for almost  a re10l inc in price tag. sorry i dont buy that. as srk says in an ad that santusht kyun ho, thoda wish karo! so, demand people as its your right.

@ Speed: When quoting someone please make sure u read the post correctly...I said "IF I HAD THE NEED TO BUY" and NOT 'IF I HAD 20-25L'...fyi and putting it very politely, i dont need to 'test drive' luxury cars!

The idea is GREEN and the move is applaudable...good move Honda!

As mentioned earlier in this thread by almost all members, the price difference between the regular and hybrid is purely coz of the duties being slapped by the GOI !!

Please dont expect MNCs & Pvt companies to act like PSUs and subsidize products, they r here to make a buck and not for charity!

LMAO @ srk COMMENT BY speed...!

dont take personally, need to buy or buy is not the point, it was just an eg., you could put me instead.

greenry can be brought about in many ways, it shoudnt be expensive to go green.

you can applaud honda to any length thats your choice, but youll only applaud it from far , seeing the car in showrooms only. one would need one under to really go green as lying in showrooms its not going to create greenry.

its much more than meets the eye , only duties are not the reason for this , in future govt. will reduce duties but still you wont see prices coming down exponentially.

they are definitely here for the buck thats what im saying, but you are applauding them for  green. so applaud them for making buck.

Well Nissan sells its fully imported Teana in India at 22 lacs, which is a far expensive car than Civic. I cant believe that Honda sells its Hybrid Civic at a higher price than Teana in Europe or USA. So obviously it is charging a higher premium here.

If they really wanted to sell the Hybrid model in India, they could have easliy started assmbly here to qualify for lower duties. The additional assembly costs would have been very low as they already make the Civic here. The price difference in USA between Hybrid and normal Civic is less than Rs. 2.5 lacs. So Honda India could have sold it here for about Rs 15 lacs making more sense and bringing in more volumes. 

Normal Civic Sedan LX retails in USA at US$ 16960/= which is about Rs 7,31,000/=. Honda 'manufactures' it in India thereby attracting lower duties and taxes. Labour costs are also cheaper here but still we are being charged a retail price of Rs 11.96 lacs. why??

A pair of Honda fog lamps is priced at Rs 20,000/=.

Does it not qualify as a loot ???

Well even i saw civic in dubai which was i think cheaper variant which had hub caps and no alloys the overall finishing was really dull and so was the interiors and if u see there and here the finishing of here is just too too good....it even had black moulded strips on sides....so here we are not having cheaper variant but there u r having as an option....even in dubai there were higher models same as of india...

accept it or not with this launch only u will find some good cheaper hybrids in our country in near future...somebody needs to dare creating all new segment and honda did it....now other manufacturers will wake up and prepare themselves to fight....this only leads to cut throught competition if nobody brings new product then u will not get anything new...Honda brought Civic to throw away corolla and did it ...Maruti launched Sx4 and that was the reason Honda was forced to bring new efficient yet cheaply priced new city and its ready to do that...and it goes on and on...

Well Nissan sells its fully imported Teana in India at 22 lacs' date=' which is a far expensive car than Civic. I cant believe that Honda sells its Hybrid Civic at a higher price than Teana in Europe or USA. So obviously it is charging a higher premium here.

If they really wanted to sell the Hybrid model in India, they could have easliy started assmbly here to qualify for lower duties. The additional assembly costs would have been very low as they already make the Civic here. The price difference in USA between Hybrid and normal Civic is less than Rs. 2.5 lacs. So Honda India could have sold it here for about Rs 15 lacs making more sense and bringing in more volumes. 

Normal Civic Sedan LX retails in USA at US$ 16960/= which is about Rs 7,31,000/=. Honda 'manufactures' it in India thereby attracting lower duties and taxes. Labour costs are also cheaper here but still we are being charged a retail price of Rs 11.96 lacs. why??

A pair of Honda fog lamps is priced at Rs 20,000/=.

Does it not qualify as a loot ???

[/quote']

very good akj53in, honda knew that a lot of manufacturers in india are testing or have finished testing hybrids, mahindra has been showcasing their hybrid scorpio foreever. new launches by such manufacturers were eminent. but honda wanted to steal limelight for nothing, by trying to shock the market just to be called as the first hybrid maker, how fickel!

i think makers like tata should be really complemented who had the vision to see society at large & come up  with something like a nano. in the future we would see good & cheap hybrids coming from their stable. what a commitment!.

on the other hand companies like vw, toyota , honda , ford ,etc. havent even gotten small cars here. why? because of lesser margins. what have we to do with that they had beetles & corollas & other best selling models which never even touched indian shores.

Agree that SOME Honda accessories are over priced...but even if they were cheaper I dont think many honda owners would fit any as the cars themselves are loaded!

Hybrids wont be 'cheap' cheap but yes one can def. look at prices around 10-15L on road.

With manuf. like Mahindra and Tata, reliability and finish are a major concern...

If you wish to 'pat' someone on the back, it should be for the Reva...they are the only electric car manufacturers who have been present for a long time, but then people might also think that 4L for a very small car is ridiculous...!!!

@akj53in: In the US import duties for green cars is 0; they are also providing subsidies for green vehicles.

When compared to India, Import Duty 104% +Local Taxes and NO SUBSIDY for IMPORTED GREEN cars.

Please do the math, take the ex-showroom cost and add 104% + local Taxes

well if indica was to go hybrid, it wont cost more than 1.5l more than the regular indica.

mahindra & tata are improving by the day in reliability & finish, i have driven scorpio for some time & its been fairly reliable.

reva is a good car , but is impractical due to size & price, moreover they have to build on sales & service. it should have been more in m800 class or even lower.

well the price hike of 18000 is on the factory price of cars...so when it gets supplied to the dealer they might have increased the dealer commission as well...but with so much of inflation and every thing is increasing....the latest tyre companies hiking its price with steel so you really cant blame honda....as for the hybrid its due to the great indian govt which imposed this tax to make people buy small cars as they call cars above 1.5 l to be  fuel-guzzlers but the hybrid should have been given complete excise exemption so that people can buy that car !!! our indian govt is a bunch of ***** and with a great ***** like chidambram nothin much can be expected !!!!

they are telling that duty has been imposed so that less cars can be bought above 1.5litre but tell me one thing if anybody is going for 7-20lacs car he will not consider 15000-25000 increase...so no use...its just a thing to fill their pockets and excuse is to save petrol...bloody politicians

govt. has high import duties on luxury cars, but honda does not import accord, civic ,crv,instead makes them in india. all these models are hi tech, but neither of them helps the fuelefficiency or green cause. now, comes civic hybrid, why not also produce it here, escape duty structure & pass the benifit of low labour & spare part costs? why try to arm twist govt. for duty reduction? when in other countries- japan & china where they operate , cannot even have a sniff at govt. policies. though these countries have their own policies & laws for cars. india is reeling under tremendous inflation these days & common man is braving the backbreaking brunt. so , any further reduction in duties would put more pressure.as everyone knows that reduction from one side means inc. to some other & in this case would lead to inc. taxes for common man. do we want an inc in taxes so that honda can have profits? 

the ans. is no. just to put things in perspective, there are other very good expensive cars- bentleys, ferraries, etc , why not reduce their duties also? people let the rich man pay! why burden the economy?

govt. has given sops for small cars, which i feel is an excellent move. as core aim should be providing cheap & affordable mobility to masses. these car companies should have committed themselves to small car market much before & by now launched a small affordable hybrid- which would have been a truly appretiable step.  makers boast of simultaneous launches or first launches in india , but of  irrelevant models. honda is having a hybrid since 99 , why import it now? &  hence code is cracked!

atleast hybrids should be exempted also electric two wheelers are not getting subsidys and thats reason they are very costly nowadays...the duty is too much man it should not be that much..thank god they removed octroi....there are so many taxes here in India and this all is to fill pockets..i cant see any good infrastructure development...dont praise govt...we are the only county with so much of money but with begger country like infra...there was a time when china was almost 50 years back from us but now they more than 50years ahead than us in terms of development...same is the case with dubai and malaysia..there are no taxes in dubai except 4% custom duty..no income tax,no sales tan,no service tax,no vat nothing and see progress...And u r telling that if govt will exempt such hybrids common man taxes will increase why so govt can fill that gap from their treasury afterall what Govt is meant for...Till corruption prevails u cant actually praise our govt. they are bullsh*t peoples in the world and u actually cant support them also... U cant expect any thing good till this corruption prevails...everybody is corrupted here...these ministers salaries is nothing but still they own thousands of crores of properties how??? all this money is ours only not their hard earned..all these taxes directly goes in pocket and at the end they say we have no money almost every govt department make losses or little profit...our money in the form of taxes never comes to us in this country...and thus people should learn more and more how to earn black money so that our great politicians dont make this much of money....sorry iwent offtopic...m out of this debate now...   bluesapphire2008-06-24 11:12:11