gauravsimply4u

tires for santroxing?

hi friends,i have santroxing and its tires are due for change.i just want know what will be the up sizing for better ride and handling? and weather this up sizing will show speedo meter error and how much will be the reduction in the mileage.what is the average life of a tire considering the Indian road condition? 

Well before upsizing its better to get the rims checked or put an alloy wheel .Also what do you want to upsize the rims ,tyres, wider tyres and expectation for the tyres?The current size is 155/70 R13 so if you want to widen then 175/65 R13 is fine (+-5% speedo error) .To upsize the rim 175/55R14 is goo enough (but the comfort is lost and the handling is better).

I have mentioned the original one FRG .

@gauravsimply4u
 You can go for it but since your overall diameter will decrease then the speedo meter shows higher reading and then you will find FE is decreasing but still the error will be less .Go for it also tell which brand are you going for.

I think I have posted this elsewhere ages ago:

155/70R13. Total diameter 2x(155x0.70)+13x25.4 = 547.2mm

165/65R13. Total diameter 2x(165x0.65)+13x25.4 = 544.7mm

Your 155/70 after wearing 1.6mm of tread become the same diameter as 165/65. In general the total diameter should not change by 5% on an upsize. The proposed upgrade will give a somewhat better grip and steering feel with minimal loss on economy.

I am also intent to buy tubeless tyres in my Santro Zipdrive. My priority is comfort level, also the condition of the road where I live is pathetic, with huge craters and potholes, some times big 18 wheels get stuck. So which size you suggest?? and what would be the cost of tyres?? Also can i put the tubeless tyres on my 5yr old steel rim?? I am using 155/70 R13 Bridgestone tyres.

Here's a nice tool that does the math and lets you know what the speedo error after the upsize will be - http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

If using tubeless, get your rims painted before you change tires(on the inside too).

And if you have a lot of rim damage (bent edges,etc)  in your everyday driving - then go for a tire size that has a bigger sidewall than your current tire (high profile tire). Use the link to check the sidewall height of various tire sizes.