sreekumar

which car to buy?????????

Dear Members

I'm planning to take a new hatchback and took test drives of Swift VDi and the recently launched Skoda Fabia 1.2 MPI. I liked both cars and now, I'm confused as to which to select. Swift VDi has excellent responsiveness and pickup. However, its scores low on the substandard interiros+tacky panels. Fabia 1.2 doesn't come near Swift for the responsiveness. I know i can't compare the diesel and petrol. But still, Fabia scores more in terms of the more refined styling, appearance, high quality interiors, accessories available and brand name. Skoda is claiming 17.5km/l for the new Fabia while, Swifts around 18 km/l in terms of overall mileage. I'm a person who drives smoothly, keeping even the highway speed about 100kmph at the max.

Following are the points to be considered

1. I drive around 20kms per day (4-5 days a week)

2. Petrol (Indainoil Premium) is Rs. 56.89/l. Diesel is around RS. 38

3. Long drives (Highway) drive is very rare except for the 70kms which is   inevitable once in every 2 months

4. Swift VDI's onroad price is around RS. 5.83 lakhs here, while Fabia 1.2 (Classic) is Rs. 5.88 lakhs. But, Swift VDi don't have music system, speakers, rear parcel tray,airbags etc.

5. I plan to keep the new car for 3-3.5 years

Can the experts, pls enlighten me on which would be the best choice?

My dear friends. Once again a new member starting with a new topic? I hope he stays!! The profile is blank making me wonder whether he intends to stay and contribute to the forum.

I cannot see any thread where this one fits so am not responding harshly. Firstly you do not PM whenyou have posted your query.

The query is Swift VDi vs. Fabia 1.2 with essentially town running of about 10,500 km per year.

The price difference Rs.5.83 v 5.88L is insignificant.

You get what you pay for. More upmarket features in the Skoda, more basic car in the Maruti. I suspect someone 45+ may prefer the Fabia while a younger driver will prefer the Swift.

I would advise you to go for the Swift - even though the annual mileage is on the low side for the simple reason that the Fabia 1.2 in my view is grossly underpowered. In town running the lack of performance will really be felt. If it were the 1.4 I would probably have opined the other way.

as 20km per day u should not consider diesel...either u should consider swift zxi and fabia ....by the way does fabia @ 5.88 lacs on road comes with abs and airbags

Agreed. Swift Petrol is a far better option that the Fabia 1.2.

I would prefer to go for a Swift Zxi, especially since now it gets an integrated music system and also steering mounted audio controls which are a first and unheard of in this segment.... of course all these in addition to those safety features which are not available in the VDi version..

With Swift out of the picture i would have gone for the Getz 1.3 since it is well built (though not as well built as the Fabia, but then it doesn't cost a bomb to maintain), is reasonably fuel efficient, and has good amount of space.

Well at this milege and price the Swift ZXi is the best bet and ACI shootout btw Swift and Fabia swift won .

Kindly refer sgiitk's last post... his father and wife don't like the swift....

wow wow, sgiitk sir chill down.

Between the two ig you want brand name and fool people by owing a fabia 1.2 and say its high end model (what is it 1.4 or 1.6) thus getting in the bracket of 7 lacs and above then go for fabia.

So Fabia if you are buying a car for others to see.

Swift if you are buying a car for your own comfort.

Dear Members,

Majority is for swiftsmiley1.gif. I test drove the Swift ZXi also. but it didnt feel as comfy as VDi..i had alltogether eliminated the option of VDi earlier..The only factor that pulls me to Swift VDi is the fuel economy..

Read in the forums that skoda has delayed the delivery of already booked fabia 1.2 and doing some modification on the engine. In that case, i would decide to wait for few more months and see if it comes up with something good

ya just wait hope that they come up with powerful 1.2....And is comfort is considered both vdi/zxi are same or u might be talking about driving comfort..ofcourse vdi is a better car to drive..even i didnt like petrol swift...Do hav a look at getz if u like it

Dear Members' date='

Majority is for swiftsmiley1.gif. I test drove the Swift ZXi also. but it didnt feel as comfy as VDi..i had alltogether eliminated the option of VDi earlier..The only factor that pulls me to Swift VDi is the fuel economy..

Read in the forums that skoda has delayed the delivery of already booked fabia 1.2 and doing some modification on the engine. In that case, i would decide to wait for few more months and see if it comes up with something good
[/quote']

If you are waiting for a few more months then you might as well have a look at i20 also which is slated to release by october or so... i feel it would be worth the wait.

well u said zxi is not better than vdi..

@octane i think fabia with new engine or some improvement will be out within less than a month and october is far so he decided to wait means i think not of 4months or more...

Well the vdi is more comf due to change in damping rate due to the heavy engine and even ACI said this don't buy the Fabia the economy of it is worst than the zxi.

but if ur rear seat is occupied most of the times u should consider fabia or getz...how about getz diesel...
 I dont think so that getz will be right choice....it wil soon be shadowed by the all new i20.....i think you should wait for this one...........smiley2.gif