kiran14760

Santro xing discomfort

I bought my first car Santro xing GL two and a half months ago.I already covered 4100 KM and I am fully satisfied with its performance and true value for money.But I have one problem, my right leg angle pains if I do long drive some 100 Km and all.Actually I had felt this problem during the test drive, then I thought it would be allright once I used to it. I feel the accelerator pedal position of santro causes a little bit cramp while driving.I would like to know the feed back from other santro xing owners how they feel.

congrats on your new santro. the pedals in santro are placed in a way thats it gets  uncomfortable in long run. whats your height? have you tried changing the seat position to find the perfect suited to you?  i m tall , so the problem i had with santro was inadequate legroom upfront. one of m y friend had similar problem , he got the seat uprooted & fixed a little backwards. well this is not an ideal solution because of safety issues, but worked for him in finding a perfect driving position. the seat travel backwards is restricted in santro to provide legroom in the rear.

for ankle pain you might try sitting a little higher up, if your car doesnt have seat height adjustment, then a cushion would do.

kiran, if you had felt ankle pain during test drive, then you should have looked elsewhere as choices are aplenty. test drives are meant for finding the best that suits you. so, in future dont get overowed  by the situation my friend , use your head over heart!

Well I will try and explain in again remember taxiwala with the right arm on the window sill .Sit like a king and lean your self more on the B pillar (its the pillar btw front and rear door it might be tough to adjust for a week but put a soft pillow and sit like that but the only thing you will have to sacrifise the the gear shift you will have to bend to get to it ,try  it my driver used to sit like that .

well i have driven my friend's santro over long distances and i have really just one problem with it....the pedal position is really awkward and the accelerator is placed at such a position that the foot feels a bit uncomfy...i feel its too near too the driving position though am not a tall guy !!!!

taxiwalas used to sit like that when ambys & fiats had bench seats up front, maybe to accomodate the extra third passenger, bus drivers also use this position as the ergonomics demand so. but i suspect if ankle pain gets relieved in such a contortion , he might  start having back pain. moreover in case of a whiplash what would happen to the neck?

I bought my first car Santro xing GL two and a half months ago.I already covered 4100 KM and I am fully satisfied with its performance and true value for money.But I have one problem, my right leg angle pains if I do long drive some 100 Km and all.Actually I had felt this problem during the test drive, then I thought it would be allright once I used to it. I feel the accelerator pedal position of santro causes a little bit cramp while driving.I would like to know the feed back from other santro xing owners how they feel.[/quote

What you are feeling is a cramp: due to constant pressure on the accelerator pedal. This has nothing to do with the pedal position, this is because of the constant position of the right foot with constant pressure on the gas pedal. I have also experienced it. Just stop the car get out and stretch, and take a short walk and drink some water, resume journey again. If you drive on the cramp will only increase. Even if you rest your leg on the driver side door, or try and change the leg position it will help. I have tried but you just can't remove your leg from the gas pedal; 'cause the car will slow down, it may risky on the highway where other vehicles may be following you at speed. Or you can fit a "Lazy Boy" with a special designed calf massager, in place of the driver's seat, but prepare not to fall asleep at the wheel...lol.smiley36.gif
Durango Dude2008-06-24 18:55:31

as frg mentioned,  "

It is a common problem on the Santro. The pedal positions aren't as comfortable as they should be." so, 9 out 0f 10 times it could be because of pedal position.  if he feels the same in some other car too, then cramp is indicated, for which stretching & walking would help.

as frg mentioned' date='  " It is a common problem on the Santro. The pedal positions aren't as comfortable as they should be." so, 9 out 0f 10 times it could be because of pedal position.  if he feels the same in some other car too, then cramp is indicated, for which stretching & walking would help.

[/quote']

I have felt the same in my Elantra twice on long journeys. It typically happens on the return journey, so could be blamed on fatigue and dehydration<blame it on the omnipresent sun in South India>. Or probably u have the seat pulled too close to the steering wheel and the right leg is contorted in a highly flexed position, leading to the cramp.

you are right , cramps are common. but he said he felt pain on test ride also. test rides are usually short runs for short duration of time.

i also advised him to check the seat position, to find a comfortable one.

One other point. In India we have a habit of sitting cramped in the drivers seat (the boss in the rear has to have maximum space!). Make sure that the seat and the slope of the back are properly adjusted. Seat should be back up to the point where you can comfortably floor the clutch, and the angle should be such that your hand fall comfortably on the steering.

As pointed out cramps also have a contribution from the pedal placement ane height, Ijust though I will add the other bit.

Friends thank you very for your valuable suggestions and response.I think the uneasiness is due to keeping the toe portion raised without getting proper support.what about keeping some wooden piece or some thing and resting the foot over that?Will it affect safety?

extremely valid point made by sgiitk sir. i usually drive my own car & never use the backseat, my drivers seat is always pushed way backwards to provide a good seating position as i stand tall also at 6.1 feet.

kiran , you are welcome, yes youve pointed out right. if you do go on to keep something underneath  your foot, make sure it doesnt move, as any movement would get your feet accelerate hard which could be dangerous.

@kiran : placing some small sheet/platform on the floor, to raise the heel  so that you may operate the pedals comfortably is an excellent idea.

@speed: you probably missed the '!'. What I was referring was to 'driver mentality' since the percentage of chauffeur driven cars in India is still very large and these chaps are the ones almost bent double.

yes kiran sgiitk sirs advise on "small sheet/platform on the floor" is perfect.

no no sgiitk sir i had got your point. i never took anything  personally. i was reffering to kiran to heed to your advise.