speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

Let the battle rage on, but against all odds got myself an N8 this evening, initial impression - just awesome, hardware; software much better than the 5800, the 3.5" Amoled screen with Gorilla glass and anodised aluminium body is great, inserted BSNL 3G: autoconfigured and got the GPRS settings, yet to test the 12 MP camera, phones charging overnight, kids can't lay off and started playing the NFS.

I can hear sniggers all round, I think. I find Symbian 3 easier to use than Android, I know most of you may disagree. I fell for the hardware, it's solid and loaded , onboard is 16 gigs (who needs an SD card).

I for one dont disagree with your choice DD. Congratulations. Do post some pictures taken from the camera.. As its a Nokia, dont forget to keep updating regularly. Nokia is still pushing updates every 2-3 weeks for N8.

Congrats DD on new N8.Happy reviv in! I am looking forward for release of Samsung Galaxy S 2 which will come with Tegra 2 processor due to shortage of Samsung's own dual core processor.

Hey DD when you start using your Gps in your car, make sure your charger is plugged in. Otherwise battery gets rapidly discharged and the phone temperature hot. Oh and don't pay too much attention to the gps lady, sometime's she tries to force us into the smallest by-lanes of chennai !

Thanks to all, I have started using the N8 and use it mainly on wifi. It's camera and video just rock: will do a standalone digicam proud. Have a complimentary one year subscription to Ovi Music unlimited downloads. 

@durango Sir - the photo quality is amazing, but your car looks like it has just arrived from showroom.very well maintained indeed.Is it for sale?

I am looking forward for Samsung Galaxy S 2 launch, Which I think might be delayed following Japan crisis

@durango Sir - the photo quality is amazing' date=' but your car looks like it has just arrived from showroom.very well maintained indeed.Is it for sale?

I am looking forward for Samsung Galaxy S 2 launch, Which I think might be delayed following Japan crisis[/quote']

My car is more than 5 years old. It's definitely not for sale. It's still running like a dream. I just covered a relative's grihapravesam function with my N8 and it gave amazing results even in doors. This shot of my car was there so you see all the debri lying around.

My car is more than 5 years old. It's definitely not for sale. It's still running like a dream. .

Just kiddingsmiley17.gif' date='
This shot of my car was there so you see all the debris lying around.

Debris near the house? or on the way to house?

Leading player in compact superzoom digicams, Panasonic has launched new digicam in its TZ (ZS in US) series.

In addition to its present flagship TZ 10 (ZS 7) model a new model TZ 20 (ZS 10) with following feature has been launched:

1. 24 mm wide Lecia lense with 16 x zoom.

2. 3" touch screen with touch functionality for Touch Zoom, Touch Auto Focus (AF), Touch Shutter, and Touch Playback features.

3. 3D Photo mode, which creates a 3D stereoscopic image that can viewed on a Panasonic VIERA 3D HDTV.

4. 1920

I read a review about this Panasonic ZS 10 model in Cnet and was unimpressed with it after reading the review.I bought ZS7 model and I am very satisfied except in low light  conditions where the photos are not great.

Yea I was originally looking for Arc itself as mentioned in my posts a few days back! But it is not worth the price. Paying 30 thousand rupees and still not getting Full-HD recording. And RAM specs, bla bla bla.

Looks = 10/10.

Overall, Sony is no-more a player in the market.

@drifty

Dont just go after the better video recording. By Google's own admission 1080p video recording needs to be developed a lot and what it is right now is just a stretched 720p. You wont be needing more RAM and the much hyped dual core processors for some time as there arent apps that use that much memory. Its like installing an 8 GB Ram for XP. You maybe satisfied but its of no use!

Also Xperia has blown the competition away in performance and in UI.

Check this link

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_arc-review-584p4.php

Also if you want it a little cheaper go for soon to be launched Xperia Neo. Exactly same specs, different and still a good design(though not as good as arc).

Also they both have one of the best still cameras in the market. Read the review In the link above.

And overall, Sony is expected to be the biggest gainer this year, because of a strong range(Arc, Neo, Pro and Play) and the best designs.

Not so easy to say that giants like SE are no more players smiley1.gif

@Rahul

I have a passion for expensive cell phones. And its not that I buy it and forget it. I use the tech to the max. My present Samsung Wave (the original one) is like a mini-computer. The hardware specs are astounding and never let you down when it comes to performance.

Regarding SE Xperia Arc, I admit that overall it is a very good phone and is more VFM than Galaxy S II (although the price has not been revealed yet). But after using Wave -- especially Super AMOLED screen, I cannot settle for LCD screen (although backlit LED in case of Arc). The Arc has Bravia Engine which enhances the crispyness of the display and is indeed wonderful. But on the other hand Galaxy S II has Super-AMOLED-Plus screen which takes the screen colors to new heights and side-by-side consuming lower power. You might have seen the AMOLED screen which is available in some Nokia phones these days, I would definitely recommend you to have a look at the Super AMOLED screen of Wave I or Galaxy S. Watch a video on it. Real Life colors! Regarding Camera - present phone fulfills the 720p recording capability so I want to move up. Shapewise -- Arc scores much higher over Galaxy S II. Arc is sexier and peppy. Galaxy II is more tab-like and has wider (read better) screen width than length (as compared to Arc). But what bothers me is the RAM in Arc. Arc has 512 MB RAM. A phone costing 30k and having just 512 MB RAM is something unjustified. My present phone Wave has 512 MB RAM. Galaxy S II will have 1 Gb RAM. But the best thing about both the phones is the OS. Android 2.3 Gingerbread in both of 'em. Dual cores now -- ummm... At present I dont care much about the dual cores as although they will make the phone more efficient without the need of any third party application, I'm sure heavy apps will come up that'll utilize the cores to their core capacity and give new dimensions to mobile experience!

Yea, I have in mind the SE Neo, which can be an alternate to Arc. This whole new series is awesome! But what I meant was that apart from these countable phones, Sony has no other phones selling as hot cakes as compared to Samsung. Agreed, Sony is a big player in the market and definitely has its own standards, no doubt about that. In terms of buying a Television, I'd happily buy a Sony Bravia TV -- eyes closed. They are the leaders!

P.S. - If Arc starts coming with something like Super AMOLED screen, I'm going to be the first one to pick it up!

I agree with Drifty on the issue of Xperia Arc.The main disadvantages as listed by GSMArena.com are too hard to ignore

• Display has poor viewing angles

• No front-facing camera - NO use for video calling so 3G is waste

• Main competitors have dual-core CPUs and better GPUs - paying 30K still no dual core and 512MB RAM is too less for a smartphone these days

• No smart dialing
  • Display doesn

At the end of day it depends on our tastes' date=' capacity to buy and maintain it.

[/quote']

Thats absolutely true! But I really appreciate Rahul's inputs!
    driftpunk2011-04-04 06:47:22

Got my Samsung Galaxy 551 yesterday. Looks like the product of a one night stand between the Galaxy 3 (front end) and the Epic 4G (slide out keyboard). Still coming to terms with it. tested out the GPS - fix within 40m in under a minute!

Got my Samsung Galaxy 551 yesterday. 

@sgiitk sir - Congrats.Its  has better version of Android - froyo which means more apps is available for use unlike android eclair.

. tested out the GPS - fix within 40m in under a minute!

WOW! , Its really amazing.Whether its Wave or N85 it takes ages to get a GPS lock in my phonessmiley7.gif and also the maps are available only in paid version .I don't like to pay for maps due to poor experience with GPS functions in my phone