speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

Google - Moto Partnership creates Moto G

post-7385-0-72181200-1391626640.jpgpost-7385-0-84066600-1391626664.jpgpost-7385-0-55954200-1391626675.jpg

The phone is priced at Rs 12,999 for the 8 GB variant and Rs 14,499 for the 16 GB version. A sweet device and we can see the dynamics of the budget device market toppling over with this new launch. Competition, beware!

Source: Indiatimes

SONY to stop making PCs, cut 5000 jobs:

Sony said the job cuts would save about $1 billion a year starting from early 2015, and announced the sale of its Vaio brand of PCs to a Japanese investment fund.

Read more at: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/hardware/Sony-to-stop-making-PCs-cut-5000-jobs/articleshow/29941752.cms?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=TOITech

On my mind - buying a new laptop , any suggestions ?

Which ones do you own ?

How old are these ?

Basic internet usage , will be running 24*7

Any internet offer you are aware of , apart from the 40 k offer on Macs

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Don't opt for Sony. Its very delicate! It could get damaged easily!!

Hardware components are not upto the mark!!

Dell and HP are good brands in my opinion.

Apple devices are good too, but a bit overpriced!!

I am using a 3 year old Dell Vostro 1014.

I've upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 3GB!

That's the only expense i've incurred so far and its working very smoothly.

YES, Sony is the worst

MY sony Laptop , E Series , VPCEB14EN , makes more noise than my Scorpio, the sound is so bad that I am just waiting for it to die in the coming days so the hunt

MY sony Laptop , E Series , VPCEB14EN , makes more noise than my Scorpio...

Hahahaha!! :lol: Hilarious metaphor!!

So, how much would you like to spend? I could suggest a few if i knew that...

Well Librankur, these are the four Dells i thought you'd want to consider:

1. Dell Inspiron 15 3537

Specs: Windows 8, Intel i5 (4th Gen) 2.6GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 750GB SATA Hard Disk.

Cost: Rs.43,490/-

Link: http://www.flipkart....fa-2b48c9cd1eb2

2. Dell Inspiron 15

Specs: Windows 8, Intel i5 (4th Gen) 2.6GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB SATA Hard Disk, 2GB Graphic Card.

Cost: Rs.48,488/-

Link: http://www.flipkart....fa-2b48c9cd1eb2

3. Dell Inspiron 15Z 5523

Specs: Windows 8, Intel i5 (3rd Gen) 2.7GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 500GB SATA Hard Disk, 2GB Graphic Card.

Cost: Rs.53,800/-

Link: http://www.flipkart....CFUtU4godWT4A3A

4. Dell Vostro 3560

Specs: Windows 8 Pro, Intel i7 (3rd Gen) 3.2GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB SATA Hard Disk, 1GB Graphic Card.

Cost: Rs.56,290/-

Link: http://www.compuindi...ostro-5902.html

And these are the four HPs:

1. HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15 N015TX

Specs: Windows 8, Intel i3 (3rd Gen) 1.8GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB SATA Hard Disk, 1GB Graphic Card.

Cost: Rs.44,490/-

Link: http://www.flipkart....20-396b3058abf8

2. HP Pavilion 15 E039TX

Specs: Windows 8, Intel i5 (3rd Gen) 3.2GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB SATA Hard Disk, 2GB Graphic Card.

Cost: Rs.46,490/-

Link: http://www.flipkart....53-125675977da5

3. HP 4540s ProBook

Specs: Windows 8, Intel i5 (3rd Gen) 3.1GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 750GB SATA Hard Disk, 2GB Graphic Card.

Cost: Rs.47,990/-

4. HP Pavilion 15 N208TX

Specs: Windows 8.1, Intel i5 (4th Gen) 2.6GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB SATA Hard Disk, 2GB Graphic Card.

Cost: Rs.49,240/-

Great Work GTO, very nicely done , appreciate the time you took to pen these down.

Hoping this " Holi Festival " will throw in some extra discounts on these.

Most of these even have TOUCH

Great Work GTO, very nicely done , appreciate the time you took to pen these down.

Hoping this " Holi Festival " will throw in some extra discounts on these.

Most of these even have TOUCH

Welcome Librankur!!

Yeah.. Some discounts are expected around Holi but not something huge.

Also had a look at the link you posted, HP's models like the Pavilion 15 E039TX and Pavilion 15 N208TX are offered at a price slightly higher than that offered by Flipkart, but the margin is very small!

Did you hear of Google Chrome Book...? It has life time free OS upgrades no need to install any PC software (unless you want JAVA/.Net programming on your machine). It is availabe at around 25K in Croma. Do check it out.

Hey Sstar, ya i've heard a lot of chatter about the Chromebook over the Internet.

I feel its a good first laptop.. For the youngsters and people who want to use it for basic things like checking facebook, emails, watching a few youtube videos etc.

It ain't exatly a business laptop, business users may find important features in google spreadsheets missing, for graphic and video editing it isn't recommended either.

So ya.. Its a really good product, depending upon the buyer's requirement!

GOOGLE ARA

post-50246-0-86157900-1394021014_thumb.p

I don't know how many of you have read or heard about this, but google is coming up with something BIG!!

They are calling it the Google Ara (also known as Project Ara).

So the idea is this.. There would be one endo and a few modules. The endo is the structural frame that holds all the modules in place, while a module can be anything, from a new application processor to a new display screen or a keyboard, a bigger battery, an improved camera, a bigger RAM, a pulse oximeter or some other customisable hardware unit.

You can customize your phone as per your requirement!!

And when the phone gets old or the technology advances or any hardware component gets damaged, you can switch it with a new and improved component without discarding the whole phone!!

This video should help you understand better:

This video is old, but explains the concept nicely!!

Google Ara has been creating a lot of buzz, with the Mountain View giant saying it aims to price the first version of the modular smartphone at $50 at launch.

Google has also announced its first ever Ara Developers' Conference, scheduled to be held April 15th and 16th this year. We can expect to hear more details about the project at this conference, which would be held online.

The search engine giant said it would be keeping Project Ara with itself after Lenovo's announced Motorola acquisition!!

Here is a video which tells something more about Google Ara:

What do you guys have to say?

I personally feel this is gonna be the next big thing in the mobile industry! CAN'T WAIT!!

post-50246-0-36911200-1394022380_thumb.j

Google is pushing Motorolas idea.

ZTE has its own going by the name ECO MOBIUS

Many years ago there was a similar concept by the name of MODU, it never took off and had to be shelved.

This pricing is killer.

Yes Librankur, especially the gold and black treatment makes it look so much similar to the iPhone 5S!

I checked it out at Micromax's website: http://www.micromaxinfo.com/canvasknight/index.aspx

Features seem to be promising!! And it is priced at Rs.19,999.

I've got a feeling that its gonna get sold out real soon!

Hi librankur!

Just gone through your query for new laptop & replies to it! I also bought a new laptop (Asus K55VM-SX086D Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) ) 2-3 months ago & was about to recommend the same to you, but I bought it at 40k & now it's price is around 63k! So after going though recent offerings, I'ld suggest you, this one,

http://www.ebay.in/i...=item35d1c74a7c

of course, you can't get fit n' finish like macs; but just like horsepower & torque are most important factor while buying a vehicle, similarly processing power is what you should look into electronics! & this one with 3rd gen I7, 8GB RAM & 2GB graphics is a rocket! & considering current technological trends, it's touchscreen will also be very useful in future!

I guess this offers perfect bang for buck & it seems like a good gamble!

Edited by CarCrazyASTL

& talking about MM Canvas Knight....

After owing 4 Micromax phones, all I can say that they seems perfect on paper & also seems pretty decent in showrooms, but they really start to annoy you after 6 months! The components which micromax use has very short service life & as a result phone literally decays! & you can't really expect software updates from micromax, which again shortens device life! Another important con of MM is fact that they aren't well engineered & as a result the overall ownership experience isn't that good!

I'm also looking for a new phone, but this time I'm gonna break this loyalty & place my bet on Sony Xperia Z2 or rumored Z3 featuring Biometrics!

what a jump , 23K in 3 months.

Your Laptop needed an OS , Who installed the OS for you , how much did that cost ? Which OS are you running on it ?

Needless to say , You have killers specs on your Laptop.

News just in - GALAXY NOTE PRO to be launched at 65575 in the coming days.

what a jump , 23K in 3 months.

Your Laptop needed an OS , Who installed the OS for you , how much did that cost ? Which OS are you running on it ?

Needless to say , You have killers specs on your Laptop.

News just in - GALAXY NOTE PRO to be launched at 65575 in the coming days.

Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit & Ubantu 13.10!

I installed it by myself & as I got some good contacts at Microsoft HQ, I got legal copy for free! ;)

& even with dual OS, it manages to boot windows 8.1 in around 8 secs! Another special fact about my laptop is ASUS's Ice cool technology, which keeps my laptop cool even after 4 hours of playing NFS Rivals! The overall fit n' finish is also top-notch! It's full size keyboard with separate numeric pad & full size navigation keys is also awesome, even better than XPS series or even macs!

I must agree that I'm completely satisfied!

Edited by CarCrazyASTL