speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

AA is cheaper to run. Li ion are definitely better in terms of power and life but AA chargers are available everywhere and sometimes Li ion batteries of various companies have differently designed chargers.

Do not discard a Camera just because of its battery. Look at features and quality of images. Different AA batteries will have different life. Like SONY and UNIROSS AA will provide more life than KODAK or Panasonic AA.

Go back a few post and see that I have already mentioned that some of the new olympus is not feature rich and lacks important stuffs. SP 800 UZ does not have electronic viewfinder, dust filter, noise reduction and etc etc. But just because you wanted more zoom I mentioned that.  SP 590UZ is a better camera, whereas SP 800 UZ is better value for money.

sb-alto2010-05-14 06:44:43

I have a Nikon digi cam(2mp) which uses AA batteries, and i am frustrated with it, i use Sony batteries but even then it drains out very fast while on the other hand i have Olympus u1000 with Li-on batteries & am very much happy with it. I think i will give priority to Li-on batteries.

I need to buy a Handi-cam so that I can take it along during my trips, etc. I already have a digi-cam COOLPIX but I need a Handicam. Kindly suggest me one that has HD video recording and is reliable and sturdy

@diftpunk : Budget ?

Sony HDR XR100E and HDR CX150E/B priced at 30k is the best entry level HD video camera. Panasonic HDC HS20(45k) is equally good.

Also check out Canon Legria HF r18 and HF M300 (45k), but Panasonic and Sony should be your first preference.

Whoops. 30 k is out of my reach. I am collecting money for alloys for my car. I have collected 17k already but I need 8k more. After that I will plan a Handy-cam. I think I'll go in for something around 15k-20k.

Buying a new laptop. Its going to be a Toshiba and probably the M series.

Have had a not so great history with laptops.

Dell Inspiron 1520 - Fantastic to use. Dell service SUCKS. Structural damage to my computer(one of the hinges the monitor is connected to the base from,, broke). I call them and they tell me we dont have a part, call after 6 weeks.

My cousin bought a laptop, delivered with a  faulty mother board and refused to work at all. We called them 30 mins after taking delivery asking for a refund of a replacement. They take 2 months to replace the laptop.

HP Pavillion tx 1219 - Kept for a year. Very bad heating problem. Worse than I've seen on any other laptop. Something went wrong with the motherboard that resulted in the wifi to stop working. HP gave me an estimate of 24,000(out of warrenty) to fix it. Got it fixed for 2500 from Nehru place and sold it last week to some poor soul for 22,000.

Acer Mini ASPIRE one - I bought it last year just for travelling purposes and random use. Using it till I buy a proper laptop. The poor thing is being pushed to its limits. Is running very slow. Has been pretty much trouble free except for the charging point going bad which took only 800 rs to fix from Acer.

My dad has been using his Toshiba for 3.5 years now and that laptop serves his purpose of emails, stock market etc. without any difficulty at all. Not a single issue in that computer in almost 4 years.

I am not buying anything other than a Toshiba nowsmiley4.gif.

Toshiba, hmmm. They dont have much of a market here in India.

According to a TIMES survey:

40 out of every 100 laptops are HP

40 are DELL + SONY

Remaining 20 are others like Acer+Toshiba+Lenovo.

I suggest you stick with HP. I, my dad and my sister all have a HP laptop. HP has the vastest network in India. Although DELL is now catching on. But HP is the number 1.

Ofcourse, laptops require utmost care. HP ones are known to be ruff and tuff. But laptops are delicate things. Their tuffness can never be compared to a Desktop. Desktops are like - super strong. Laptops have to kept like laptops, nothing less.

@asethi I checked your HP config and I can say that you choice wasn't good .

You had an AMD processor whose operation temp is 75 degree which was not suitable for India . Even I have AMD processor and it is hot but when I compare it to intel processor models of the same specs then I can see I saved 12k over same config intel processor.

Tell me whats your requirement and I will suggest good laptop also tell your budget.

I would have gone for HP but I had a horrible experience with the one I just sold. It had loads of problems I didnt mention.

1. It was a tablet hence had the touch screen. If you touched the back of the monitor, the touch screen used to become active.

2. Horrible camera and screen quality.

3. Wifi motherboard issue.

4. Severe heating problem

5. Bad ergonomics.

For something I paid 60K, the computer was terribly disappointing and I honestlly waast happy. The Dell laptop was far superior in almost every aspect except the service. So basically HP to me represents Maruti and Dell, Skoda. smiley36.gif.

@Rssh

I did have an AMD processor. I should have talked to you an year agosmiley36.gif

I am planning to spend about 50K and am looking at the Toshiba M series of A.

Totally turned off of HP and Dell service network.
asethi9192010-05-14 09:51:35

Look what i found.

@DP

To be my personal companionsmiley2.gif. Its always with me. I take it to office in the morning and bring it backc home with me. It stays on for about 12-16 hours a day.

Work includes some light photoshop and coding, very little gaming, movies and other usual stuff.

@Asethi - The more laptops a company sells the more the defects. Therefore HP is leading. And it is unrivalled fact that HP is the market leader followed closely by DELL. I wonder how old this graph is as Dell is shown pretty far. Nowadays DELL laptops can be customized to suit your needs. You can get your own liking things together and get a laptop assembled, infact, according to DELL. Here's the link to their website:

http://dell.co.in/home/laptops?&dgc=ST&ST=Dell%20laptops&cid=33221&lid=783243&acd=10599679472341472

@asethi

I dont know how long before you had that problem, but I have had really good experience with Dell service. My dads dvd drive had some problem of reading dvd drives(minor) and the whole drive was replaced free of cost. Also they did not take the laptop with them even once. This service is called Dell Onsite Warranty. They came to my house, they checked it and found it as erratic. They then came back couple of days later and then changed the drive in our home only.

Also from what I have experienced, I dont know about the one you are going for, Toshiba are not exactly the lighter of the laptops. So keeping them 15-16 hours a day might be cumbersome.

As far as services are concerned

My dads D820 latitude laptop needed a battery replacement we asked Dell to send it at my adress they said it will take 15 days we agreed . A month passed it didn't come we again called and said that the DD which we sent you should be returned back to us or give the battery , they said this battery has been stopped manufacturing so now my angry dad says no Dell for now onwards.

Another case my friend got the new Dell Studio laptop in January and one day it stopped starting only 4 days after delivery he asked for replacement and at Dell they say call him , they forward to another and this keeps on going . After 15 days they reject the letter for replacement of laptop w/o siting reason. We again call and now they say the person coming will take 1500 bucks we protested its in warrenty and this kept on going till 1 month and then they send a rookie to attend the laptop he didn't know nuts I knew more than him seriously !.

Dell send a new motherboard ,then they sent some CD (mind you all this took 10 days ) I got angry at the person repairing seeing my friend almost crying (50k invested on laptop ) then he checked the RAM and replaced it . The replacement came in 15 days and he used his lappy with only 2 GB ram till then.

@asethi

look at the ACER range and Lenovo also .

An advice on HP service centre there are many service centre you need to be in the right one ,if you don't like one look at alternate one . I had my fan assembly and heat sink change at one centre were as the other one wasn't agreeing on it.

@Asethi, well i have HP DV2000(entertainment) series since 2007 & touchwood, there is no single problem with it, infact looks wise it still feels only few months old. I never had any problems with it, but only thing that is not good is its battery life, nowadays it doesnt even work for say 50mins without charging, thats the only thing i hate about it.

Moreover they have good A.s.s, wide range of products at almost every price points. Though now HP's are not treated as they were before, people feel HP's are very downgraded while i dont think the same but current Scenario seems that HP are Hyundai's while Dell as you said are Skoda. Even i have not heard anything good about Dell's service, maybe now they have improved but their products are really good.

For Toshiba, though they are great, they doesnt seems to be ultra modern(especially in size & looks) & doesnt have decent A.s.s, i think you will be more so happy with Dell than Toshiba if you are concerned about service issues.

I think you should look at Sony Vaio, though i dont like it much but the only option for you seems to be Vaio - offers good quality, looks good, offers decent service but is little expensive.

Today i went to electronics showroom & tried Nikon P100 & i felt that thats the piece i would probably go for, moreover its Nikon & thats the brand i like much though i am not hell bent upon it, still will have a look at Fujifilm, Olympus & Panasonic in the US as they dont offer wide range in my city(in majority of national chain stores) to have a look.

Also i checked out the HP Mini and asked if DOS based accounting software would work properly, the sales person said that due to its Atom processor it will work quite slow, these are basically for internet use & other light work like MS Office, Songs, etc.

@SB, as you already have a Mini, please share some reviews, is the Atom that slow too even support a DOS based A/c'ting software or that sales person was just ignorant. Also what are the basic drawbacks of the Mini netbooks apart from lack of CD Drive.

Also does the Mini's come with Wifi/Bluetooth???, especially the one which i am looking for i.e HP Mini 210?

EDIT - @Rssh, sad to know about the DELL horror stories, seriously its a Skoda of Computers. I was thinking of Dell desktop in sometime but not now.

But i would not even recommend Lenovo, now its not known for its quality and its service isnt that great either, for Acer well they are decent & come at good prices but if you have good budget, look at another brand.bluesapphire2010-05-14 12:21:01

@DP I know about the customization and all their products. I like their stuff.

@Rahul

I like Dell products and I even bought a server for my office from them. And I think the keyboard provided on the Inspiron was simply amazing. Had it been just a single experience I would have been fine but what my cousin faced is really not something that can be ignored, can it now?

The fact is that Dell not having customer care centres you can visit is more of an issue than we realize it as of now. 

We unfortunately dont live in a country where you can do much about sh*tty customer service. Taking legal action is not really an easy alternative and requires a lot of time and effort which not everyone has the liberty to take. I would rather prefer to go to a company that has a customer service centre I can go to and rip them a new one face to face than to do it on the phone.

He faces 2 months of argument and delays from Dell people to get a brand new laptop replaced. All we kept wondering was that had we bought this same laptop from another company's store, we could have simply gone back to the store and got it replaced.

- Order and wait for 15-30 days for the product to be delivered.

- No face to face customer service centres.

Dell's business mode is flawed. Especially for a ccountry like ours where the laws protecting the consumers are not strictly enforced and the consumer courts are slow as a snail.

Anythign but Dell for me.

@Rssh

Lenovo is unreliable. Already have an Acer.

@BS

Vaios are expensive and probably will be out of my budget. It has to be HP or Toshiba. I'll probably visit Nehru Place tomorrow and see whats on offer.
asethi9192010-05-14 12:20:04

toshiba makes excellent laptops!

my dad has beeen using since last August, and no problems touchwood. It is a good laptop and it was not too expensive either. Go for it.

BTW, does toshiba make only satellites or they have more models?

Toshiba makes fabulous laptops, they used to be expensive than the competition but of late Toshiba has reduced the prices & made their laptops very competitive.

Toshiba offers best of Japanese engineering, small innovations like waterproof keyboard, unbreakable LCD & shock proof HDD, etc. go a long in building brand value.

@SB' date=' as you already have a Mini, please share some reviews, is the Atom that slow too even support a DOS based A/c'ting software or that sales person was just ignorant. Also what are the basic drawbacks of the Mini netbooks apart from lack of CD Drive.

Also does the Mini's come with Wifi/Bluetooth???, especially the one which i am looking for i.e HP Mini 210?

.[/quote']

Atom is not that slow, but it is not suitable for good games. You can run all software without any problem. But when it comes to games it is slow. Heating is an issue with limited ventilation.

Yes wifi and bluetooth is there in all minis. Mine is the first Mini launched. One problem with Mini is that the key board is not anti-spill and not type friendly. But I think that is improved with the newer models. Battery life is poor with 2.5hours, but a spare 6 cell is available for all models which will provide 6 hours life. Webcam is VGA but 1.3 mp for the newer models i guess