speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

Got the invoice for my MAC Book PRO yesterday!! It is a 13 inch 4GB ram with a 250GB hard disk. Hoping to ge tit by the end of the week!!

even i had plans of buying Mac Pro, but i wanted windows , so removing Snow leopard and installing W7 makes it slow; so doesn't make sense buying a Mac

how much did u get it for anyways ? And any freebies ?

i also got macbook pro last month....

@sarabjeet if you are going for mac pro then u can easily install both snow leopard and windows 7. Its difficult to install both the OS in mocbook pro as it has only 250gb HD. also installing windows doesn't slow it much.

@cyrus43 you are buying it from India? which model? the 2.4ghz or the 2.66ghz? also are you planning to upgrade to 500gb HD as 250gb HD is less?

Got my phone back today. 2 weeks after giving it to BB people. As expected they said my warranty was void as soon as they found out about the water damage. But they still did open my phone and well, cleaned whatever residue the curry left inside the phone. I say this because the keypad which wasnt working properply is now working fine.

Bought the July edition of the ACI mag. The most interesting thing I read was that one of the reasons for the slow production rate of the Polo is that the quality checks carried out by VW are extremely strict and they are regularly sending back quite a few of the parts which are being supplied to them locally. Keep up the good work VWsmiley32.gif!!!

I have realised my big mistake of buying a Lenovo (R61_. 2 years on the following parts have been replaced till date.

1. Battery

2. Keyboard

3. Touchpad

4. Motherboard

5. Screen repair

6. Keyboard again

7. Optical Drive

Since a month the laptop has been getting heated up a lot. So much so that I had to use another keyboard to type. Keeping the laptop in my lap was more discomforting than spill tea over myself.

Since I leave in Manipal, and the laptop was bought by university, it is repaired by the university only. But right now I am back home, so I needed to find a service centre who would send their mechanic to come and repair as my laptop had Onsite warranty.

To my shock I found there is no service centre in Noida. I tried contacting the nos. given in the list and none of the nos. were valid. tried there toll free no. where there is no way to talk to a customer care executive, ad the only thin it suggests is for me to go to its website. Given that my laptop was untouchable that was a very useful suggestion.

Through my dad's office contacts i sourced the Email id of Sales head in Gurgaon for this region. Sent him off a big email, bashing his company left and right. Also gave my phone no.

Got a call from in a day asking for my address and time when I was free.

From there on, they did not give much trouble, but the fact that a Computer major has such a poorly maintained support section baffles me. The features are there, like sms connect etc. but the functionality isnt.

All this along with the various niggles I am having to face in the laptop, have made me decide one thing, LENOVO-DONT EVEN TINK OF BUYING ONE AGAIN.

@cyrus43 you are buying it from India? which model? the 2.4ghz or the 2.66ghz? also are you planning to upgrade to 500gb HD as 250gb HD is less?

Yeah, I am buying from India. IT is the 2.66GHz version. And I am not upgrading as I have around 1.5 TB of external hard disk storage space with me.

I have realised my big mistake of buying a Lenovo (R61_. 2 years on the following parts have been replaced till date.1. Battery2. Keyboard3. Touchpad4. Motherboard5. Screen repair6. Keyboard again7. Optical DriveSince a month the laptop has been getting heated up a lot. So much so that I had to use another keyboard to type. Keeping the laptop in my lap was more discomforting than spill tea over myself.Since I leave in Manipal' date=' and the laptop was bought by university, it is repaired by the university only. But right now I am back home, so I needed to find a service centre who would send their mechanic to come and repair as my laptop had Onsite warranty.To my shock I found there is no service centre in Noida. I tried contacting the nos. given in the list and none of the nos. were valid. tried there toll free no. where there is no way to talk to a customer care executive, ad the only thin it suggests is for me to go to its website. Given that my laptop was untouchable that was a very useful suggestion.Through my dad's office contacts i sourced the Email id of Sales head in Gurgaon for this region. Sent him off a big email, bashing his company left and right. Also gave my phone no.Got a call from in a day asking for my address and time when I was free. From there on, they did not give much trouble, but the fact that a Computer major has such a poorly maintained support section baffles me. The features are there, like sms connect etc. but the functionality isnt.All this along with the various niggles I am having to face in the laptop, have made me decide one thing, LENOVO-DONT EVEN TINK OF BUYING ONE AGAIN.

[/quote']

my sister also had this problem with her lenovo. it heated up fast and the body of laptop was just cracking every time. This was bought in USA and she stays in USA now. She gave the service people about 4-5 times and then she had enough. She sold it on ebay and got a new HP laptop. On ebay, she sold her laptop more for what she had originally bought. She had bought it for 650$ and sold it for 720$! I suggest the same to you to Rahul.

@ archit

You must have exaggerated the condition of the laptop.

You(or your sister) have cheated the poor buyer.

This is not ethical.

i couldn't do anything. The rule of ebay is that whatever you are selling does not get sold, its price will keep on increasing per week about 5-7 dollars. So i really couldnt do anything about it.

Hey everyone, I plan to buy a new mobile phone this week. I have a budget of Rs7500-Rs15000. Touchscreen and Wi-fi are musts, while 3g connectivity will be an added benefit. Large screen, decent camera, OS and music quality are preferable.

Please suggest me good phones in this criteria.

Cheerssmiley4.gif.

....And thanks in  advance.

I think you have created a similar kind of thread before if i recall it correctly.

Anyways' date=' try Nokia 5800, 5530 & X6. They all will suit your requirements. For other brands, check out other brands too.[/quote']

I asked a similar question in  the gizmos and gadgets thread, but that one got erased during the server breakdown.

Yeah the X6 seems really attractive, its a newly relesased model, right?

The 5880 is a bit of an old model though.

Does the 5880 have any plus points over the X6?

Thanks sarabjeet.

Well I'm not really interested in BBs, because I want a full-screen touch phone,

so that I can easily browse the net and use GPS.

Also, GPS would be a good +point for the phone, though I wouldn't always use it.

I would avoid Nokia touchscreen phones because I have seen many 5800 xpress music being more at service centre than on peoples ears ,also the touch screen isn't sensitive . I think the best touch screen interface is HTC legend , comparable to iphone at 21k.

If you are looking at a cheap Touch Screen phone' date=' the Nokia X6 is the King! [/quote']

No, get the corby PRO for 11k

3G Wi-Fi Slide out QWERTY keyboard.

2.8 Inch touchscreen.

The X6 gives you only touch screen, corby PRO gives you Touch screen + QWERTY.

Also you can get a Android for 13K.

Another phone worth considering is spice S-1200 for 14K with a 12 MP camera and 3X Optical zoom(yes, it IS optical, not digital)

If you want a QWERTY, get a E71 for about 12K

I would avoid Nokia touchscreen phones because I have seen many 5800 xpress music being more at service centre than on peoples ears ' date='also the touch screen isn't sensitive . I think the best touch screen interface is HTC legend , comparable to iphone at 21k.

[/quote']

My wife has a Nokia 5230 bought almost immediately after its launch. No problems. Nokia is a resistive touch-screen and not capacitative. My son has an htc Hero (CDMA) for the past six months and is very pleased with it. I am old fashioned and am going for a QWERTY pad system. Expect my BB shortly.