speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

Just now coming from Croma, saw lot of phones there. I was impressed with Samsung Wave, its touch feel was very good much better than those Nokia's or SE's & display was AMOLED too, even its sound was good but Sasung's reliability & Bada's long term performance is yet to be known. Also lack of Qwerty keyboard is a let down otherwise at 18.5K, it was nice.

Also HTC PDA HD Mini was very good, its touch & display too was nice & was priced at 20k.

After again seeing those Vivaz & Xperia's Mini, i am not willing to go for those, i dont know but i dont think they are worth the price being offered especially Vivaz.

So its all comes down to HTC Mini HD, Samsung Wave & N97mini. I want something like N8 but lets see when it comes.

Overall i am OK with N97mini but many times Nokia's arent that troublefree, many times there are some problems with them & then Nokia discontinues it in short time.

Any 97Mini user here???

Got my HP Mini today, wonderful device. Almost the same functionality as my earlier HP lappy. Will post pics. later.

Btw, guys suggest me a good cellphone preferably a Nokia or a Blackberry in the range of 15-20k.

Also, for how much can we get I-Phones from Airtel/Voda?

& what's the guarantee/warranty status if bought from grey market & the prices there. Im keen on the lowest GB model(8-16).

Saw some ads of blackberry 8520 curve for 17k. Seems like a good buy, Otherwise check HTC.

Was just checking the iphone prices myself 3GS is around 40k from voda but I think would be better you bought from some other apple dealer like maple, same price and the phone is not locked to 1 network. iphone 4G is expected in december if you want to wait and save up cause its expected to be quite pricey ;).

@ Bornfree

But are you getting any warranty/guarantee on the phone at that price?

@ asethi

I use a curve myself, but mine is on contract so have no idea how much it costs otherwise. Just saw an AD in the newspaper and there is a very high chance that the price advertised is not really what they sell it for.

If you are not interested in the BB services (BIS, BES and maybe MMS) then if go to the chaps who import legit phones and then crack them and sell them the prices are far lower. The Curve (8330) for CDMA cost me Rs.9000 as against 18,000+ from Reliance. The 'worldphone' is also available at a similar price. Check out Saadikk, Hitesh, dkaile, etc. on rimweb.in. I hear that the former is now (cellwala.com) into GSM also.

My son bought his htc Hero for Rs.19,000 in January.

sgiitk2010-08-12 06:12:18

Dear BS, I m using samsung flip phone since 3.5 years and without any problem. My friend is using samsung for more than 2-3 years. My phone has fallen from my hand no. of times, but still working without any complaint. So I can vouch for the quality of SAMSUNG brand. I am not aware of it's software compatibility, so can't comment on it. But quality is at par with any international brand. All the best.

Samsung are today as good as Nokia, BB etc. ie top league. I do not like the user interface of either Samsung or LG - but this is a personal choice.  Nokia have been quiet for some time. With the world switching to Android the better options may be htc, Samsung, Motorola, etc. I very much like the BB user interface.

@BS

N97mini's touch is not amongst the good ones out there. It is not very responsive as those in a similar price range, and the processor is not the best either. Also, it has a TFT screen.

It would be better to wait for Nokia phones like N8, C6(which is touted as the N97 mini replacement, but still has a TFT screen). N8 will be your best bet.

Among Nokias if you can stretch go for N900. I used it for some time. Excellent phone, and gives you a true computer like feeling.

Have a look at Motorola Milestone and Backflip as they have really shaken the android world, if you dont mind the Moto.

Bada OS is pretty new in the market and will take some time to catch on. It is better to go for platforms like Android, Symbian etc.

If you are specifically looking for screen quality go for the SE's and HTC's mentioned in my previous post. Add HTC HD2 on that list.

check out N900 its better than N97 , u can also get a cheaper one from grey market as an import

If BB's are banned they are still a better phone in normal GSM services

try Palm Pre at grey market also

Well yes N97mini is not amongst the modern one's available today & lack of AMOLED is letdown & puts me off.

I had seen C6 yesterday in grey market & that too wasnt as impressive, looks wise was not that classy & was priced at 16.5k.

N8 is best bet but when launched will be new & a risky bet actually seeing Nokia's past, also its launch date is unknown & i have an urgency to buy, have no spare handset.

N800 is big & exceeds my budget.

Well not interested in Moto's, saw backflip yesterday, it looks impressive & keypad is great but i guess that keypad is exposed & thus will gather dust in no time.

SE's touch to me isnt great either especially the Experia Mini's & though i liked HTC's their service backup still is not upto mark. When any problems you dont get required spares in time, & also HTC introduces new models so suddenly & fast that their existing models vanishes away in no time.

So now i am left with Samsung Wave bada or to wait for N8. The touch feel of Wave is amazing & its display too but yes Bada is new & is compatibility will be an issue atleast for some time still some samsung dealer said me that it has around 15000 apps available. And heard from a dealer that its service network now is good & spares are easily available, dont know how true it is.

N8 is dissapointing , my friend has used it , its launched in portugal n spain , the current OS has bugs but it will improve with upgrades which will come in future.

Some how i thought wave even though good with touch sensivity losses out with OS , u can also get BB storm 2 in grey market

N8 is dissapointing ' date=' my friend has used it , its launched in portugal n spain , the current OS has bugs but it will improve with upgrades which will come in future.

?

Some how i thought wave even though good with touch sensivity losses out with OS , u can also get BB storm 2 in grey market
[/quote']

Ohhh, so my doubt was right regarding N8. Well Nokia's are known for this.

And how does Wave loses out on OS, i mean have you found/heard any problems with Bada OS or anything. Speed wise, its processor speed 1Ghz which is quite good when compared to symbain.

well OS is ok but if u compair Android 2.2 , apple and BB samsung still have to catch-up. The apps available are also not so great , 1ghz comes to use when u can store tonz of apps , which wave cannot do , its more suited for Galaxy S , try Sony if u can .

there are issues with Bada apps, its not so easily availble like Andriod in galaxy , even if they are available there are few

Galaxy is great but it exceeds my budget at 28k. Wave to me seems great but why i am not buying it still is because of its doubtful Bada OS, otherwise specs wise its very good phone.

Sony too has some androids but Xperia X10 again is expensive & X10 mini are too small, i didnt liked Vivaz too.

if you are open to grey market you can get N900 , Milestone, storm 2 at around 20K

then there is Sony Idou (OS s60) , why don't u give used 3gs a try ? install Iblue Nove and u can transfer files also

Well will have a look at Storm2. Also i am not interested in used cell phones.

BTW, whats the difference between HTC HD Mini & HD2. Also which one is better, HD mini, HD2, Legend or Wildfire. HTC model's lineup is very similar & thus confusing.

@BS

After all this you have only two options in my opinion. Either go for BBs or go for Nokia E72.

Samsung's Bada OS is still very new, will take time to catch up with the rest, and has some bugs, espescially regarding accelerometer.

Also Nokia are known for dishing out updates quickly. So any bugs in N8 would be sorted out quickly.

I have had a bad experience from samsung. There was a little liquid damage to my phone, but it was declared not repairable within a day from the service centre. They almost refuse to take up any thing that may be damaged by the user and repair them. There policy is to only repair defects arising due to manufacture.

basic difference between HD2 and HD mini is size , HD2 has 4.2 inch screen and HD mini is about 3.2 and HD2 has 1 GHZ processor while HD mini uses 600 MHZ

pick between legend and Hd2 , while HD2 has 1 ghz processor , Legend has andriod 2.1, HD2 uses windows 6.5