speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

Symbian has come back very strongly with its Symbian v3 first debuted in Nokia N8 and now in many phones.

I know of Symbian v3 & v5 but it still has to cover ground w.r.t. T.S. responsiveness, overall feel. The browsers are getting dated as-well.

BTW, N8 & C7 are facing different set of issues. Overheating & re-booting being some of them.

Well N8 also gets hang everytime while using FM Transmitter.

If you aren't big app freak, Bada is a very good OS, faster than android & bug-free. The UI interface of Wave & Galaxy(android) is as good as iphone & their display is far better.

Congrats asethi for the ipad.

I found Samsung Tab galaxy 1000 to be far better than ipad, its also phone too which i guess ipad is not. It also has camera, has better display & nice UI too. Overall a better package.

Olive pad is nice too but being Indian, there is still way to go as you cant rely on its reliability.

Dell Streak is big for phone & small for ipad.

Well N8 also gets hang everytime while using FM Transmitter. 
I found Samsung Tab galaxy 1000 to be far better than ipad' date=' its also phone too which i guess ipad is not. 
Dell Streak is big for phone & small for ipad.[/quote']

Yes, N8 is facing some problems & its due to reduced testing times because Nokia had to launch these phones in a hurry due to the competition demands.

iPad can also double up as a phone if you get the 3G version which would be ~ 100$ more.

A lot of new tablets are coming up, this is the 1st gen. products. I would wait for further developments & reduced prices.
BornFree2010-11-28 10:23:10

I used N8 for a couple of days. While I dont know about FM transmitter since I did not use it, the touch screen response was right up there. And camera provided as has been stated by all the reviews is the best seen on a phone. UI was easy and there were no hangups when I was watching a 700mb movie, with browser and camera running in background.

Browser needs to improve but we can always install the Opera Mobile on it.

I dont see much utility of tablet other than show. Those who have serious work will anyways rel on Netbook, similar to now when those who have huge work rely on BBs rather than the touchscreen devices.

For me its just an iPod touch which has a larger screen and is difficult to carry around. If i wish to travel and carry as less and as functional as possible I would go for Dell Streak, fits in the pocket and works perfectly

@rahul: Must thank you for the suggestion just got my phone's software updated, seems the 'handling' has become crisp and 'throttle' responses have improved considerably after the update, lol. I checked for an update 10 days back but none was available; I think if the phone gets back to it's 'moody' ways it would be useful to atleast 'reinstall' the software, once in a while. This is the first 'smartphone' I have owned so lavished a lot of time and attention on it loading it with songs and video's. Problem getting another phone would be to reconfigure the entire video collection to that phones screen size and resolution, transferring songs is easy. Durango Dude2010-11-28 11:31:09

I used N8 for a couple of days. While I dont know about FM transmitter since I did not use it' date=' the touch screen response was right up there. UI was easy and there were no hangups when I was watching a 700mb movie, with browser and camera running in background.
Browser needs to improve but we can always install the Opera Mobile on it. [/quote']

Many users across the World have experienced problems with N8. Nokia have themselves admitted to problems with N8:

BornFree2010-11-28 13:16:06

@archit - windows 7 phones have lot of short comings and interface is not that good when compared to ios or android.I will not recommend them.apps are limited anyway.I will request you to? wait till next year when Nokia debuts symbian 4 os.

oh yes i have heard about those windows 7 phones that are soon to be launched. but i have such a bad experience of windows mobile 6 that i dont want to take a risk. i am really considering android but i think there are not enough apps. hope i am wrong. iOS seems best bet for me.

@archit The new WP7 is right up there. It is very similar to how Vista was bad and Windows 7 was undoing the wrongs of Vista. They have ironed out the flaws and have made and OS which is right up there with evry other OS in te market.

I have Samsung Wave, having Bada OS. One thing I can guarantee, I have not seen any phone faster than this one. Samsung Wave and IPhone 4, both have 1 Ghz processor, Cortex processor in case of the Wave. And the display is eye-popping, better than IPhone 4's retina display. This was what swayed me over from buying Iphone 4 to Wave.

Latest News -- Apple has bought all the Super-AMOLED displays from Samsung. And Samsung have to temporarily stop production of Wave with S-AMOLED.

A video link would make it more clearer!   ~~ COMPARO VIDEO ~~

Drifty!driftpunk2010-11-28 15:58:40

I have the non 3G version because this is not meant for anything other than testing purposes and some light entertainment. Other than that, it does absolutely nothing a computer doesn't do just as good if not better. I would never have bought one if it hadn't been for work purposes. Still, respect to apple to have shaken up the entire industry and once again set a benchmark others are competing against.

Yesterday got my self a MacBook Pro i5 2.4 ghz, actually i was looking at the 27" Mac desktop but found the Macbook Pro a sensible option. Got a stealer , sold my 2 year old Vaio and paid a difference of 68K (new Pro costs 110K)

img0046h0.jpg

img0047s.jpg

img0048xv.jpg

img0049td.jpg

I am also looking for a good desktop, with i5/i7 processor, 21" LED, 3-4GB Ram & 400GB-1TB HDD. Though i am in favour of branded PC's as i have always used those, people are recommending me assemble's as i5/i7 are not available easily in branded category & also they are expenisve. I am still thinking of HP or Dell. Currently i have a HP-compaq with intel P4 which is just too old now.

Few days ago I  wrote about the iconic advert of 90s.Now its  the time to reveal - I got a new laptop after 6 years .

Presenting the HP ENVY 14 ,So whats so special about it?

To name a few -

imprint finish, chicklet keyboard, Macbook like looks with usability and quality which is unquestionable.

Rest of details next time including its trump card

I've seen one of the laptops from the Envy series. I have to say, its probably the first PC laptop I have seen that in terms of the general hardware quality seems to be up there with the Macs.

@Sarab 1.1Lac for a laptop.smiley3.gif Thats only a few thousand less than a Nanosmiley36.gif. On a serious note, Apple products always carry a unjustified(my personal opinion) premium but this is rather high. I am curious to see a detailed review just to know whats so special that its worth that much.

Congrats Nishu on the Galaxy 3. Doesn't the camera have a flash? I'm somewhat hooked on the Samsung Tab. Keep us posted on the 'Android' experience.

Thanks alot sir..

Its Camers is 3.1 Megapixel with Auto-Focus but without Flashlight, even I don't need it as I'm happy with the Natural Light Pictures.

Samsung Tab costs around 27-28k here. Its really a Good & Exhaustively functional phone.

Rest, Using Android phone is truly an Exceptional experience, Exceptional Graphics Clarity, Applications, GPS(Best feature explored in it yet & is having accuracy of upto 1m around the Device), Scroll Speeds, etc.

Just Loved it..smiley27.gif

Bought two Nokia 2690 & Bluetooth headsets: BH106 & BH108.

Can't believe, a bluetooth pone costing 2.5k & Bt. headsets for a s low as 700/- Just a couple of years back, I remember buying a Bt. headset for 6.6k & Bt phone would cost nothign less than 10k.