speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

@Nishu.

As Rahul said, this problem seems to confine with Samsung. No such problem with my android.

Do check if there is any place in settings to switch off media scanning.

As a solution, make use of AppKill before you use any new applications. 
creativebala2011-02-07 20:48:12

@bala;

Processor Speed of My Android G3 is awesome, better than Wave  & even unmatched by most of the handsets. Capacitative Touch Screen is Superb but only glitch is with Its Self-Running Media Scanner.

Also I'm still Unable to find out the Switiching off mechanism for this Media Scanner.

Any idea !! Samsung Users.

HP ENVY- specs in brief1.core i5 - 450m - 2.26GHZ2.500GB hard drive3.21112010065.jpg

Did you assemble the envy notebook or is hp still going with fix models

I am intrested in Envy 15 with ati 5830 graphics and i5 420M processor.

also did you opt for the 15 cell additional battery tray? BornFree2011-02-11 03:31:29

@rssh - I did not configure the HP ENVY 14  , as HP in India does not allow configuration of your choice in India.

HP only sells HP ENVY 14 beats edition( mine is HP envy 14) and ENVY 17 model with 3D in India not 15 model( I am not sure about it though).The website is bit misleading so ask HP  itself - Toll free number , as they are in better position to guide you.

One piece of Sound advice - the stock speakers are okay so don't expect much and finally upgrade the RAM to atleast 6 GB for smooth functioning

Brought 8GB Kingston MicroSD HC M.Card for my New Samsung Galaxy3 phone, as previous 2GB MicroSD was getting too much less for my usage.

The media scanner is Samsung problem AFAIK.

Spot on, Rahul..

Also talked to Samsung Dealer yesterday Samsung G3 for the same & he Replied that's the Part of Samsung design & Software so No Workout for it.

Incidentally after plonking the New 8GB Kingston in my phone Media Scanning time is Greatly reduced, as Topping up of earlier 2GB MicroSD was the culprit behind it.

Now All Izz Well..smiley1.gif

I would never wear it!  iPad... But wiating for the new update when they have a front facing camera!

This thing will be hit among Indians who are very keen on flaunting!

Yes, go in for the updated iPad due for a launch soon.

Btw, why not an iPhone 5 or updated 4?

Edit: & Microsoft has paid Nokia a huge sum.

I don't see this venture working out great for Nokia.

Nokia should have embraced Android rather than shunning!
BornFree2011-02-15 17:13:00

What about the new windows7 phones. I have heard the interface is great. Probably not as good as the iphone but still good. Not sure if they are available in India yet though. Anyone?

Wait a while - you will get them from Nokia. They have signed a deal. What else do you expect when the new CEO of Nokia is ex-Microsoft.

More seriously, Win 7 phones are available from LG, htc, and a few others.

@Sarabjeet

Dell Venue is better than Dell Streak. Streak only has an advantage of bigger screen.

There are a few nice upcoming phones in a month or two. Xperia Arc (IMO one of the if not the best looking phones in the market), HTC Incredible, Dezire S and Nexus S. You may want to hold your purchase till April.

Wait espescially for Xperia Arc. Sony has completely restructured its startegy and is now launching a market assault. Check out this link for what they have planned in future.

http://www.gsmarena.com/mwc_2011_sony_ericsson-review-566.php

Wait espescially for Xperia Arc. Sony has completely restructured its startegy and is now launching a market assault.

This time, Xperia Arc is going to blast the market even bigger. The present Xperia x10 is itself a class to use, only drawback being the 2.1 Eclair OS. In Xperia Arc, not only they have plonked in the 2.3 Gingerbread but it is also rumored to have the Android superset 3.0 Honeycomb compatibility. The department next to mine is the Ericsson department and I have a couple of people there who share geeky information with me =) . Also this Arc has an awesomely improved Bravia engine which is slated to be second to the Super AMOLED (which is the No.1 screen these days). Even Retina display looks a shade faded in front of S-AMOLED, although Retina display in itself is a highly acclaimed screen. Samsung Galaxy S has S-AMOLED and Samsung has patented this technology!

IMO, Xperia Arc will be priced near 32,000 INR.
driftpunk2011-02-16 08:48:44

I think people are discarding the win7 interface without even bothering to look at it once. I saw a review. It was impressive' date=' people. Give it a chancesmiley1.gif.[/quote']

Win7 i/f is too flashy for regular use IMO. It is attractive no doubt: but with all those animations one might feel restless after some days. Plus it will consume more power and might need better processors.

There are many annoying aspects of win7 and it needs a bit of brush up to meet standard of Android:

No system-wide file manager

No Bluetooth file transfers

No USB mass storage mode

Limited third-party apps availability

No Flash (nor Silverlight) support in the browser

Dependent on Zune software for file management and syncing

No video calls

New ringtones available only through the Marketplace

Music player lacks equalizer presets

No multitasking

No copy/paste

the problem with Arc is it has 512 MB RAM where as other coming up with 2.3 will host 768mb RAM. You need that extra power to run apps seamlessly.

No secondary camera. And it is suppose to be a 3G

Samsung on other hand is launching Tab 2. 1Ghz core duo with 1 ghz Ram

@Sarabjeet

The Samsung Galaxy Tab is a 7 inch device which is being launched in a 10 inch version. Also there is no version with 2.1 Core Duo. It is a 1.2 GHz dual core with 1 GB Ram. Also it wont fit in your pocket!

Also currently 512 MB ram is very much more than sufficient for running any no. of apps. If you are planning to keep this for sometime(more than a year) then the extra ram would be waste. Instead go for brilliantly designed Arc.

Even the recently launched Google Nexus S has 512 MB RAM

@Rahul

its a typo. It had ment to be tab2 having 1 ghz  dual core.

Well my friend has an Sony experia and HTC Desire HD and believe me the extra 256 MB RAM does help a lot. But the only draw back with Desire HD is its weak battery life.

I will keep the cell for maximum 3-4 months. That's the reason i am hesitant.

sarabjeet2011-02-16 17:04:38

@Sarabjeet

Xperia X10 has 384 MB ram, while Desire has double of that so you feel prononced difference. 512 MB ram is very much sufficient. Even Xperia Play, which is supposed to be the ultimate gaming phone has 512 MB Ram.

This is the performance of Xperia Arc where it has steamroled the competition. You can also see where Desire and X10 stand!

gsmarena025.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You can get more details here

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_arc-review-553.php

rahul18102011-02-16 17:19:18

the comparison isn't with desire HD(768 mb) i believe. Will check it out. Any dates when it will be launched ?

@rahul i had checked out Acer ferrari edition. comes with 2.1 i believe quite a rare phone.