speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

Yes it is quite rare(all Acer phones are). It has 512 MB ram and also isnt likey to get an upgrade to 2.2 leave alone 2.3.

According to GSMArena Desire HD took 1065 ms for a benchmark operation and Arc took 1009ms. Lower is better.

Arc comes sometime in March. If you can't wait have a look at Dell Venue.  Would have suggested Samsung Galaxy but not a big fan of its quality and feel as compared to competition.

WP7 phones will get a Mango update that will eradicate all the glitches mentioned above by itsanguine. After that we will see the first Nokia MS handset in October. The concept looks delicious. So no use buying WP7 phones before that.

ConceptNokiaWindowsPhones1.jpg

ConceptNokiaWindowsPhones2.jpg

any info about Venue pricing ?

will stay away from W7 have heard they rely on windows Live id too much. Plus they don't have much apps to chose from.

Edit: this is a tricky one. Which has a better Wifi range and speed ?

sarabjeet2011-02-16 18:01:52

I am looking forward to buy Xperia Arc in the coming month. There is a high demand for the phone in the market. More and more people are asking for it. The phone is AWESOME. The only thing it'll lack is a Super-AMOLED screen, which the normal screen cannot match. But I think the Bravia Engine will do justice to the screen.

Interesting article for Apple fans.

Talks about misrepresentation of facts by Mr.Jobs during the launch of the Ipad2. Also links to past incidences of similar behaviour. Its obvious to expect a company to hids its shortcomings and highlighting its strong points but bending facts like this. Wow!

Anyways, the ipad remains the most impractical product I have bought. Serves no main purpose except for a bit of testing work at office. Amazingly pointless yet successful device. Well done Applesmiley36.gif!

SE Xperia Arc and Neo are available for pre order on Flipkart. Expected price 29k and 25k respectively. Launch in April. Well priced I would say.

I am glad i waited, what about Xeria Play rahul ? And any news about galaxy S 2 ? will ask for price from sahara market

If you love PSP, then Xperia Play is the phone for you. However If you aren't much into mobile gaming Xperia Arc will do the job quite nicely for you. Neo is just Arc in a cheaper less expensive clothing.

Galaxy S has not much changed on paper apart from Dual Core Teagra Processor. While this may sound very exciting to you it is not. No apps have yet been launched that use Dual Core functionality. No operation even in Android have support for Dual Core technology. Also with Samsung the build quality is nowhere as good as Nokia, HTC, Apple or Sony. You will get a better screen, (which has been bested by Nokia E7) but that single feature does not make that phone more attractive than the SONYs or HTCs.

Got my Epic 4G (CDMA) last week. Brilliant. On the IITK network on WiFi I was able to touch 24+Mbps on downloads. Unfortunately, the ear speaker has developed a fault. The vendor wants it back to fix. Have couriered it today. Hopefully, it will be back week after next.

Discovered an interesting trait. You can move to a Reliance registered SmartPhone using a HCC (*229<code> to get out, *228 to get in). You cannot get out with a HCC. Need them to do it for you.

My son has the same unit for over two months and is delighted. Unfortunately, Epic 4G is still on Android 2.1, Sprint/Smasung released

Froyo (2.2) but found it not totally stable. He has upgraded - it is

faster, but does reboot once or twice a day.

The phone is Galaxy S series with a full QWERTY keyboard. Cost 20k with 16GB uSD card, and MEID & EVDO registration (Tata does not allow MEID registration of foreign handsets). Build quality is quite good. Remember it is very rare to keep a phone for much over two years.

The data charges of Reliance are about the lowest - EVDO available, 200MBpm Rs.100, 500 MB Rs.200, unlimited Rs.600. I have been Reliance CDMA since 2003 and find no reason to move.

sgiitk2011-03-04 16:34:31

Sony Ericsson is in deep waters these days. Hard time for them. Samsung has much larger share of the smartfone market than Sony. My next phone will be Sony Xperia Arc or the Samsung Galaxy S II. I will unhesistantly put my money on the Galaxy S II over Sony Xperia Arc. Although the prices have not yet been revealed, but Galaxy S II is speculated to cost somewhere near Rs.38,000 and Sony Xperia Arc to cost near Rs.30,000. Regarding the dual-core Tegra processor, it increases the speed of processing to some extent and its internal job-scheduling algorithms do not necessitate the requirement any third-party applications to make use of the capacity of the two cores. However, applications that will make use of both the cores will be fewer in number in the market, but the overall performance of the phone is definitely enhanced by the cores!

It has Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, Mali-400MP GPU, Orion chipset which are one of the best compatible config's available for a mobile. The 'Mali' GPU is the world's first OpenGL ES 2.0 multi-core GPU providing exceptional 2D and 3D acceleration performance with optimal use of bandwidth and power.

@sgiitk - Android below 2.2 (2.1 in your case) is a little harsh on heart as the AWESOME (MUST-HAVE) apps are all compatible with 2.2 and above but not Eclair (2.1).

Private mobile operators 3G roll out in full swing. But they are 3 times more expensive than BSNL= 1p/10kb, whereas private operators its 3p/10kb.eg a 12000kb youtube video on BSNL=Rs 12 whereas private players its Rs36. But video plays without buffering (at a huge price).

Durango Dude2011-03-05 02:12:35

Tata DOCOMO is offering Unlimited 3G internet mobile browsing for Rs.350 with 200 minutes video calling free every month, in our Punjab circle.

Also, Have anyone tried Aircel Wi-Fi? ?

As its Ad commercials are aired at various TV channels regularly.dr_nishu2011-03-05 06:49:21

Are you sure its an un-limited plan because their 3G Data plans are quite expensive at ~ 1.2k/month.

"Wifi", guess you talking about Wifi routers? Otherwise only BSNL is offering WiMax in Punjan circle.

@BF

with every Tata telecom product there is a huge *condotions apply always attached. Have experienced it very well with Docomo.

Now I would think twice before going for Indicom or Docomo.

BSNL has the best 3G plans in my opinion. They also work in a wide network, and economical too.

Raul, I find Tata, Reliance, Airtel, etc. sailing in the same boat!

Coming to BSNL, their customer service is probably the worst. Recently they have done away with un-limited plans thus doing away the only ace they had up their sleeves!

Essentially, I am talking of 4G! I can have this on campus, since we have our own wireless network on a 1GHz pipe to the outside world. I switch on the browser in the morning, go out on the network (sets the permissions) and just leave it in the background. Since this is there, and I do not have EVDO (paid at that) at the moment so why bother. When my Epic 4G is back (hopefully week after next) then I will get the EVDO activated (apparently has to be done for each phone separately) and then see. When the vendor tried for EVDO activation (before the phone broke down) he was informed that there is some parameter error.

My long term plan is to get EVDO running, see that I get a good bandwidth, and then upgrade to the 500MB pm @Rs.200. This will be using the Epic as a tethered modem. I may then dump my Photon+ .

sgiitk2011-03-05 09:26:26

Looks like a case of the deaf and the blind altogether. I saw somewhere that Symbian's share of the smart-phone market is under 1%.

Remember the current CEO of Nokia is ex Microsoft!

sgiitk2011-03-09 04:11:03

Looks like a case of the deaf and the blind altogether. I saw somewhere that Symbian's share of the smart-phone market is under 1%.

By Christopher Trout writer_rss.gif posted Feb 10th 2011 5:54AM

gartneros-sales-2011.jpg

According to Gartner's latest mobile sales numbers, the rise of Android hasn't been quite as meteoric as you might think -- even with 888.8 percent growth in 2010. Last month, Canalys quoted

Android as the top earner for smartphone platforms in Q4 of last year,

beating out Symbian for the top spot, but Gartner says it ain't so. In

fact, IDC already quietly chimed in on the topic a few days ago saying

that Symbian was still the smartphone OS "market leader."

Gartner's numbers do show Android overtaking Nokia's Symbian devices in

unit sales, but it points out that the OS' use across a variety of

brands in Q4 actually "kept Symbian slightly ahead of Android." Symbian

ultimately outsold Android by more than 44 million units last year, but

considering the little green robot's astronomical growth in 2010, we'd

say even super star is an understatement.

source:engadget.

Symbian has been dumped by Nokia for Win 7, but it continued it's dominance in 2010, but this year would be a whole different ball game.

I will check. I saw the figures somewhere, and will have to try and find the same. That showed Android no.1, iOs No.2 and RIM no.3. I was myself surprised at the information.

There have been various fake reports surrounding Symbian, ever since it started facing competition. There are various conditions surrounding each survey.

One of the first survey from Malayasia, very famously laid claim in December that Nokia had been trumped by Android in Asia. And then right in the bottom corner, there was written in smallest possible fonts "We were not able to get Data from India and China and they have not been included in the survey".

Also the Data given above is unbelievable as in this period Nokia sold 4 million N8's and iPhone sold 12 million units. That alone throws the nos. out of order. Also this talks about postpaid customers only. In US Nokia was never a giant it is in other countries and does not have many attractive postpaid plans on providers like Verizon.

Anyways I am very optimistic with Microkia. Nokia switching to other OS dumping in house Symbian shows that they are in pursuit of something which Symbian could not provide. With development teams of two world giants putting their heads together combined with Nokia's absolute brilliant hardware,  I am pretty sure we as consumers are in for a treat.

Meanwhile the world's largest mobile company(still) has declared its war!!

I can't wait for the first Microkia device and I really hope it knocks the socks of Android and iOS because that will only mean a harder struggle for the top!

My Sources: http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/09/gartner-android-os-sales-trumps-ios-and-rim-grew-888-percent-in-2010/

Also check out this blog. A very interesting perspecive.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/17945/why_microsofts_1_billion_payment_to_nokia_is_money_well_spent