speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

@ Bornfree: I had a multifaceted client, this morning, he's a pilot who tunes 'superbikes' for a hobby and is "in" to electronics like no one I have ever seen. Compared to him I feel 'ahem' primitive. I was quizzing him after the consult on his latest toy. He whipped out his iPhone and showed the cool live DVR surveillance of his apartment and especially his prized possession: his superbike parked (reason: someone had pranged his superbike) just then as we were seeing his DVR of his apt. his daughter had just come back from school and was ringing the door bell and yes there was no one there so he left in a hurry. Thinking back, during my college days, only Roger Moore could perform such a stunt. I was about to show him the cool mosquito repellent app on my N8 and then he upped the ante, after which I shut all my sphicters tight and let him do the talking.

Haha.. so true, we often feel primitive compared to the geeky generation. Nevermind, I do try my hands on some new Apps on my iPhone. Mosquito Repellent & Torch light being the starters!

Was trying to install GPS today but was unable to. The silly iStore/Tunes is not my cuppa tea! Still its a cool device & I feel like getting an iPad & the soon to follow new iPhone(5G). Maybe Prof. could help out narrowing down an Android device, want to stay in touch with that platform too.

Haha.. so true' date=' we often feel primitive compared to the geeky generation.

[/quote']

The way software , products are designed these day leave a lot to be desired-Many people find idrive irritating to use even after 7 - 8 years after introduction - Even some geeks find some products intimidating to use , so what I mean to say is just that products are badly designed with use and throw function - Longevity is a old fashion so aesthetics or form comes before function.

An example I will give below-

I never felt comfortable with iPod due to use of itunes to load /delete videos or songs.I stopped using itunes and have found better alternatives now.

@sgiitk: Congrats on the new phone' date=' you seem to be getting a new android every week. What happened to the Epic 4G?

@BronFree: This answers it. I thought you knew![/quote']

This is GSM for the boss replacing her N5230. The Epic 4G (CDMA) is with the vendor in Nasik. The cable connecting the two halves is cracked. Also he is getting a new earphone just in case. Tough luck but this is a problem when you get high end phones - CDMA top end is all in the grey market. The cable(s) have arrived in India. I expect it back in a week or so.

sgiitk2011-04-06 06:54:02

The upcoming Samsung Galaxy S 2 is going to have 1.2 GHz dual core  cortex A 9 processor.

The new iphone 5 maybe launched in June and may feature a dual core processor and 8 megapixel camera.

(Source - gsmarena.com )

@sgiitk - Sir ,I want some advice regarding installing free android apps from android market and apps brain store.These apps require certain permission ranging from read phone state and idenity to send and recieve sms - So what I want to ask you is there is risk of any personal data theft from these apps which require permission like modifying SD card contents and read phone stae and idenity.If yes , then Is a antivirus a must and avoid internet browsing and reading mail through android.

@all I m contemplating on buying a new laptop . This laptop needs to be a desktop replacement so I need all the best hardware you can get on a lappy and a great CPU and Graphic card are the first and the only priority for the laptop.

Budget is around 80k . Also Dad want only HP, Dell or Sony .

No alienware plz !  I am impressed by the HP envy 17 which has the right hardware and 2nd gen sandy bridge i7 processors the card is ATI6850 1 gb which is great as it fall in class 1 on graphic cards .

Any other configs which look better please tell me.

The negatives of the envy 17 is poor battery and it can get a little bit hot ,which I can live with as I am currently owning a lappy with AMD processor.

Hello Rssh, Although your requirements include a graphic card, rather a powerful one, I would like to say here that graphic cards are not meant for laptops. Laptops are LAP-TOPS (for daily routine work). The real brunt is to be borne by desktop. Having a graphic card in your laptop will greatly enhance the heating issues and cause problems in the future as the laptop has very less ventilation in comparison to a desktop.

HP Envy 17 is a good buy!

DD, should I order both? I already have iPhone 3GS. Was thinking of iPad/2 16GB, WiFi & maybe 3G too. Wasn't so keen on 3G because I can always use the 3G connection form my Mobile on iPad through Bt.

Naren, that's a cool product but I will buy a SUV first to install it!

The ipad 2 has an excellent review and is a must buy ,if you are looking at the tablet segment .

@ Drift Punk I will agree you on the desktop being better for graphic card but I need portability as I am in college nowadays and this laptop or say desktop replacement will never be used on a lap . I have booked the Laptop with the additional battery tray (which has 9 cells ) . Will get it in 3 weeks.

@BF

iPhone4 is no longer the best phone in the market and now has many competitors espescially with dual core mobiles. If he is coming sometime during June tell him to get HTC Sensation(launch on June 8). Also from what I have seen there is not much difference in mobile prices here and there especially if you go for legally unlocked phones.

Also LG Optimus 2X is worth a look and currently is the only dual core mobile on sale worldwide.

Sensation vs iphone4 vs galaxy s2

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/htc-sensation-vs-iphone-4-vs-samsung-galaxy-s2-942788

galaxy s2 vs optimus 2x

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_ii_vs_lg_optimus_2x-review-585.php

optimus 2x vs iphone4

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG-Optimus-2X-vs-Apple-iPhone-4_id2657

I am just waiting for the Galaxy 2 to arrive asap to India . If its priced well then I am buying one.

As far as iphone is considered its a great phone and will server its purpose for 2 years at maximum as you can't always upgrade its OS and the features provided are limited but overall the device is very functional with its USP features.

iPad2 launch in India on April 29!!

Prices

WiFi Only

Rs 29,500-16GB model,

Rs 34,500-32GB model

Rs 39,500 for the 64GB

Wifi+3G

Rs 36,900-16GB,

Rs 41,900-32GB

Rs 46,900-64GB

via Rajiv Makhani(NDTV GadgetGuru anchor) on Twitter

@BF I would recommend you stay away from tablets. I have owned one for months now and I am yet to discover a single practical use for it. We needed one in office for testing purposes hence got one. Pointless device if you ask me. iPhone does everything it does, so I would personally recommend that.

I got myself a new Samsung Galaxy SL with 8GB memory as birthday gift  (13th april).This my first android phone though I like the phone  ,I am not very happy with Android market - apps want all kinds of permission from Full internet connection to read phone state and identity  - so its tricky finding apps without so many permisson.even a basic app like barcode scanner from shopping savvy ask for all kinds of meaningless permission.Otherwise the phone is very good though browsing picture gallery it suttles.

tity? - so its tricky finding apps without so many permisson.even a basic app like barcode scanner from shopping savvy ask for all kinds of meaningless permission.Otherwise the phone is very good though browsing picture gallery it suttles.

Oh Come on man!! Its just touching the accept button. Darn Lazy ;)

@ All: My computer monitor is 10 years old so is the keyboard, my printer which was also 10 years old just gave up it's ghost and I replaced it with hp deskjet 2050. My CPU which was upgraded 4 years back feels almost ancient.The question is what do you guys think of the sleek "all in ones" on the market. I have taken a strong liking to the Lenovo Idea Centre Desktop B 500 configuration. I want refined looks rid my self of the wires, I hate laptops. I really don't want the iMac as it may have problems with file sharing and peripherals. I'm comfortable with Intel and Windows. The Quad core processor costs Rs.58000 incl of taxes and the i5 costs some Rs. 67000 incl of taxes. Is AMD better than Intel? The OS is Winodws 7 Home premium. Kindly advise.

Durango Dude2011-04-30 16:26:43

http://compreviews.about.com/od/buyers/bb/DesktopPCs.htm

i5 (ask for second generation)

4GB memory DDR3

500GB HD

R/W Optical drive

2GB Video Card (like nVidia)

Win7

19inch analog/digital monitor that suits you (good refresh, 1400 native resolution)

This will last for a long, long time and should cost about 40,000.  The i5 at whatever speed suits your budget is more than adequate.