speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

Can someone please tell me something about the Apple i-pad.Price,features,abilities,pros. and cons.,etc etc etc..which one to buy and which one not...I MEAN EVERYTHING!

Secondly:since now a days most of the time I am on move due to business purposes so recommend me if it is better to have an i-pad or any net-book,netbooks are cheaper but someone told me that they are more reliable!!

HELP NEEDED....I AM CONFUSED.. smiley5.gif

@TsiVipul - I would suggest you following:

1. Netbooks - for editing spreadsheets, docx documents more office oriented in a slim package

2. Ipad or tablets - for general net  suffering , reading ebooks,watching videos , photos   - for casual purposes.

Still waiting for the launch of Samsung Galaxy S 2 in India. It was launched in South Korea yesterday (30-Apr-11). Can't find the pricing. Speculated to be around 499 Pounds (UK).

@Golf:

That means netbook makes more sense for me.Right?

Which one to go for?I mean which brand/make?

@TsiVipul

There are plenty of brands available.ut before buying a new netbook look for following:

• Size of display - 7 to 11 inches - so choose accordingly.Also don't go HD screen it is pointless if you use your net books for business as reading is a chore in HD screen

• Processor - from basic atom to dual core atom processor - but these processors will still be inferior to mainstream processors used in laptops - its due to their architecture
  • Number of usb - minimum of 3
  • Hard drive or SSD - Hard drive minimum of 80GB is sufficient and are not that expensive.SSD are lot more expensive - their weight benefits can't be ignored
  • Ergnomics

• operating system - cheapest ones have - Linux standard but go for windows home basic if you use MS office as preloaded open office in linux is inferior when it comes to use of impress
  • An external DVD writer is must even if it cost extra
  • Brands - Sony , Dell . HCL , HP (Please see website for more details)

• Prices start at Rs 15000 for basic to Rs 30000-35000 for  feature rich

@Golf:

Doesn't the netbooks get an in-built DVD drive?

Is is present in the i-pad?

Can I get a good netbook for 25k?

Please recommend some products in this price basket,26-27k is also acceptable.

Can someone please tell me something about the Apple i-pad.Price' date='features,abilities,pros. and cons.,etc etc etc..which one to buy and which one not...I MEAN EVERYTHING!

Secondly:since now a days most of the time I am on move due to business purposes so recommend me if it is better to have an i-pad or any net-book,netbooks are cheaper but someone told me that they are more reliable!!
HELP NEEDED....I AM CONFUSED.. smiley5.gif [/quote']

IPad 2 is good, but you really have to wait and also need to pay more for it. a 3G iPAD2 should cost over 38k I guess and it still wont work on 2G aka EDGE, which provide cheaper internet usage.

Alternatively you can consider Samsung Galaxy Tab. Its handy and does everything. I don't want to compare it with ipad, but its better for what on offer.

Yesterday bought one for dad at 24,700 from Poorvika ( he even has a Acer netbook).
creativebala2011-05-03 04:10:51

@TSiVipul -Netbooks don't have in built dvd/cd wrter or player due to form factor.

I would suggest that one avoids android based Phones or Tablet due to severe privacy problems in them ditto for Apple Iphone or Ipads.These device are not only capable of tracking your every movement but are also highly capable of stealing your personal data , know whom your calling to and in extreme cases even record your conversation - so all those corporates beware of  Industrial espionage- If your an iphone or android user -The phone is never personal again.smiley7.gif

GOLF2011-05-03 07:11:17

Golf....anything you say or write or type on the internet is forever recorded.  Even if you erased it...it's stored and retreivable without your consent or advisal.  Always use an alias for e-mails or whatever and be sure to generate data to support the alias.  If you must purchase with a credit card....get a limited card with a low, low credit limit. 

Anybody with any experience of the OtterBox. I have seen some good reviews. Considering Epic 4G has Gorilla Glass, do screen film and/or the Otterbox make sense.

sgiitk2011-05-05 10:13:50

The default Android small font size for telephone numbers in phonebook

is really painful.  For all those who find it difficult to read those small fonts, here is a solution.

Try `Magnus Vitrum' application for `magnifying the phonebook'.  This free app is available from Android Market.  It loads a bit slowly.  But, after loading, it works fine.  One can read the phone numbers even without glasses. 

Try it.  You will love it.

iPad 2 is nothing great, ipad 3 is going to be completly different. ipad 3 will be launched in october in usa. I'm waiting to buy that.

@DD - What budget your looking at for your desktops. If you buy from usa it would cost a lot cheaper though if you know someone whos coming down. if you ask the company to ship then you will have a hassle with customs.

Congo'z Doc! That is a sexy piece of technology. LED monitors totally rock. They light up your screen to a new world. Enjoy hi-def movies and beautiful wallpapers.

Still going with Win Vista? Switch over to Windows 7. Feel the difference doc! driftpunk2011-05-30 14:49:44

Guys, I need your help.

I am planning to bid adieu to my problematic Vaio and zeroed on XOOM. My requirements are mainly surfing, photo editing and music playing. With Google docs around, skipping MS office should not be a big problem. If need arises latter I may think about a cheap netbook later.

Now my question is: When is XOOM coming to India? If you have any inside information, kindly enlighten me so that I may plan accordingly.

heyy what about the apple macbook range???i have a macbook pro and am more than satisfied with it!yes it is a bit pricey,but it is worth every penny!!and as skipping ms office isnot a problem,you shouldn't have trouble shifting to mac OS which is light years ahead of windows!1believe me friend!! [;)]