speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

@BornFreeDid you mean SX200 IS ? or SX 220HS ?Sx200IS is discontinued long back. 220HS is a good one but why down to this ? BTW in the price bracket of 15-17k there are better options.@DD Nice capture. A bit more light would have made it a pro shot. Hyatt Regency reminded me of my old address. I used to stay very close to Hyatt Regency Kolkata. Nice Hotel and awesome cuisine.

@BF: At this range have a 'dekho' at the Nikon S9100. There's a christmas offer on zoomin.com at some 12% off. If interested I shall forward the email. First I suggest you read a few reviews online and also over to sb_alto for his thought's on the suggestion.

@sb_alto: My daughter would be thrilled, it was she who shot the pic.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_coolpix_s9100_review/ Review of Nikon S9100 from Photography Blog.Durango Dude2011-12-20 18:19:42

Some other options include

1. Sony HX7V / HX9V

2. Fujifilm F500EXR

3. Panasonic Lumix TZ20

SX220HS is feature rich and has more creative touches than all the above. But most HS(High Sensitivity) processor compromise in quality and add to noise. Also HS on long zoom sometimes add more grains than expected. So better test the camera in extreme low light before buying.

Also, sometimes images come crystal clear and stunning in that small LCD of the camera, but when reproduced on computers they loose everything, thanks to an awesome resolution small LCD. So do not judge the photo seeing it on the camera LCD. Photos reveal identity on large screens.

Also HS systems are generally very very slow. So do not expect fast lights and movement to be captured with HS magic.

BTW these are general conceptions. SX220HS can be an exception. Need to find out more by reading. While you can try out testing seriously.

**EDIT**

I have had bad experiences with my Nikon P60. I have not seen many Nikon compact cameras to deliver good photo quality. But things might have improved now. Still for very casual shooters Canon and Sony rules.

sb-alto2011-12-20 18:32:24

The camera model is: Canon SX220 HS 14MP Digital Camera.

Generally I would tend to incline towards Cannon or Nikon when it comes to Cameras. Not to say Sony, Panasonic arn't good but the former are Camera specific.

SX220HS is the normal one and SX230HS is the same camera with GPS.

@BornFree

reviews suggest sx220hs good and better than many. So if others dont click, then you should go for it.

Also, generally people think the same when buying cameras. It is true that for compact cameras, Sony Panasonic are less popular. But they too have tremendous cameras up the order. Say, sony borrows technology from Carl Zeiss and Panasonic borrows from Leica, both are world famous in photographic lenses and components.

The camera model is: <SPAN style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANS: none; : rgb(255' date='255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; LETTER-SPACING: normal; DISPLAY: inline !imant; FONT: bold 12px/18px arial; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; : none; COLOR: rgb(43,43,43); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" =Apple-style-span>Canon SX220 HS 14MP Digital Camera.

?

Generally I would tend to incline towards Cannon or Nikon when it comes to Cameras. Not to say Sony, Panasonic arn't good but the former are Camera specific.
</SPAN>[/quote']

It may be true but I'm unable to get the picture clarity of my old S600 Digimax Samsung 6MP camera, with any of my newer camera's, till date it. It's 6 years old and is still good.

It may be true but I'm unable to get the picture clarity of my old S600 Digimax Samsung 6MP camera' date=' with any of my newer camera's, till date it. It's 6 years old and is still good.[/quote']

@DD

That is because, the recent trend in digital camera is to pack as many megapixels as possible in that same old small CCD sensor. Say the same CCD in your camera packs 6mp and in a new one packs 12. So clarity is compromised and noise is escalated.

Finally decided to go in for the Motorola Defy plus because it has 1700mAh battery and it is waterproof . The UI may not be that great but can manage with it ,actually my sister is buying it and I am going to get her HTC wildfire S . The battery is the reason for going in for this phone and also its kind of a VFM @ 16500 INR . Android 4.0 compatible and will get released later in Feb.

This is one news I've been waiting for since long. After being disappointed by the lack of FrontCam on Xperia Arc/S. I've been looking out for the much rumoured Nozomi, which seems to look like having a front cam although surprises never come by a door-knock.

Rumoured, Nozomi will feature -

-- 4.3" LCD display of HD resolution (1280 x 720 pixels)

--  12 megapixel camera with FullHD video recording

-- Snapdragon chipset featuring a couple of 1.5GHz Scorpion cores and the Adreno 220 GPU

--  HDMI port

-- 1 GB RAM

--  microSD card slot

-- MicroSIM Slot (like the iPhone 4)

And here's the news:

New Sony Ericsson smartphone coming up next week?

Sony Ericsson is going to start the New Year with an announcement. The company will be unveiling a new smartphone at CES, which starts next week in Las Vegas.

The company mentioned on its Twitter and Facebook accounts that it's going to make a major announcement in exactly seven days and urged users to guess what it will be all about. And, seeing that the attention of everyone in the teaser image is focused on that large-screened smartphone the girl in the blue shirt is holding, that's not quite so hard a challenge.

gsmarena_001.jpg

What's a bit trickier is to guess what exactly Sony Ericsson is going to announce. Currently two of its smartphones are doing the rounds in the rumor mill - the Nozomi and the Nyphon.

Logic dictates that it will be the Nozomi, as last year Sony Ericsson announced their Arc flagship at CES and it'll make sense for its successor to appear there, too. Plus the Nyphon is said to be the first smartphone to make do carry the Sony logo, instead of the Sony Ericsson one. And since the merger won't happen before the middle of the year, it's probably too early for this one.

Guys I finally settled for a Canon 1100D DSLR camera. Yet to start operating it, tips welcome...

Also help me deciding between iPhone 4/4s or Samy Galaxy Note...

Btw, my New Years/Christmas kitty includes a Lenovo Tab & a Blackberry Playbook too!

Guys I finally settled for a Canon 1100D DSLR camera. Yet to start operating it' date=' tips welcome...

?

Also help me deciding between iPhone 4/4s or Samy Galaxy Note...

?

Btw, my New Years/Christmas kitty includes a Lenovo Tab & a Blackberry Playbook too!
[/quote']

Congrats BF, now I know how busy you have been. I was given to understand that you already have an IPhone 4. No? Given the dimensions of the Galaxy Note, I'd prefer the iPhone 4 any day, very handy. Since you already have the Lenovo tab and Playbook don't you think the Sammy Note would be an overkill? Kindly post pics taken with the Rebel T3.Durango Dude2012-01-09 17:12:13

DD, I have a 3gs. Keen on the Samy Note because its a nicely converged device. Portability of a Phone & functionality of a Tab.

I would be gifting the BB Playbook away soon & my 3gs is getting pretty old now!  Have limited the choice to iPhone 4/s & Note. More inclined towards the iPhone but 4S is priced way to much. Basically I can't justify buying a phone beyond 30k! Or maybe I'll ask someone coming from abroad to bring a 4S, costs ~650$'s.

Yeah Im iching to click some pics. from the new DSLR...

@BF, Congrats for your new eye, am sure you are going to see a whole new world with it. Do post the experience in detail( pre/post purchase)

@sb, even I am planning to buy one, I need to learn ABCD in photography with it, so which would you recommend. Canon 1100/ Nikon 3100 or anything else

Guys I am planning to buy a Camera which can click hi-res photos that can be scaled to a full wallsize poster. I have absolutely no idea of how much money I require for it, and have no knowledge. I am very keen to click pics that I can scale up and put up as a full-fledged wallpaper that spreads across the wall. Approx size of wall = 20 ft x 10 ft 

Guys,

a small confusion on 3G

Heard browsing in mobile using 3G reduces battery life badly. I am right now using Airtel98 1GB EGDE connection and the 3G 500mb is just Rs201 in airtel. Can 3G users clear my doubt? I am easily getting 1.5days back up in my OptimusOne with 2G, will be become too bad if I switch to 3G?

Guys' date=' a small confusion on 3GHeard browsing in mobile using 3G reduces battery life badly. I am right now using Airtel98 1GB EGDE connection and the 3G 500mb is just Rs201 in airtel. Can 3G users clear my doubt? I am easily getting 1.5days back up in my OptimusOne with 2G, will be become too bad if I switch to 3G?[/quote']

What you have heard is 100% right. 3G saps battery no end. I have kept 3G on permanently on and apps and push mail on then it will last you with mild phone usage till mid day only. The battery gets reduced to about half with 3G on through out, if you switch it on occasionally to browse and use the battery saver mode it will last longer. Keeping 3G on permanently reduces battery charge to half or less depending on the health of the battery. After this I keep my home screen blank and with battery saver mode on and GPRS disconnected then my N8 used to last roughly 3 days, my phone usage is very sparse. Durango Dude2012-01-15 11:37:49