speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

Guys please help me decide between iPhone4/s & Samy Galaxy Note...

iP4 is insanely priced in India.

If big screen is your need, go for Note.

Check out MotoRazr or buy Xperia Arc and save substancially. Arc costs just around 22k and is one of the sexiest in market with more than adequate features to its price. Its only con is front camera and to some extent the single core( IMHO, Single Core is enough for day 2 day activities)

Yes iPhone4 will come ~30k about the same I will have to shell out for a Note.

Arc is out on Drift's suggestion. He said it doesn't have a front cam for Video calling. I found the phone to be good but then lef tout on it. Not going to buy a Moto. or  Nokia, strictly between iPhone & Note.

@BF

The latest official Android phone Nexus S is being launched in February. 4.6 inch Amoled, 1.2 GHz dual core, and it will keep getting updates much longer than any of the other phones. Price expected 30k.

An outdated iP with single core and just 5MP for 30k is total unVFM.

A comparo between Nexus, Note & Razr, hope it helps. Recently read in news that Nexus would be delayed till march end and will be priced close to 40k.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/technology/PersonalTech-Updates/Big-Fight-Galaxy-Note-v-s-Razr-XT910-v-s-Galaxy-Nexus/SP-Article1-775007.aspx

I believe Nexus is not going to be a big hit.

Would have bought iPhone 4s but for the price. A friend of mine who was here this month from States was gifting me his 4s but I told him that I would buy it from him & not recieve such an expensive gift. He said he could not take money from me & gift was the only way to go. So there it stands!

Im using 3gs, pretty satisfied with the device except that battery life with 3G is quite low. So thought 4/4s could be a good upgrade.

Samy Note is in consideration due to its massive screen real-estate & my love for browsing!

@BF

This Nexus is a sure-shot hit because this time it is better than its Samsung brother. It has sime unique technologies and this is the best Android iteration yet, and the stock version is highly recommended.

My friend bought a Nexus S from UAE @ 26k INR in some wholsale shop over there and all I can say is that ,it is the phone one will want to own in 2012 only issue is that the body feels plasticky but then it is light weight too. The screen size is more practical than the note.

Symbian Belle is out for Nokia N8 and makes N8 a different phone.No more lags, android like drop down bar , six home screen and unch of ne wallpapers and ringtone.The update is 273 Mb and a PC connection is required.

Durango Dude are you listening? Grab your update now and post some more pictures taken from your N8.smiley36.gif

GOLF2012-02-09 16:24:01

The bought defy+ has been returned back . The phone was supposed to be waterproof but after some cold drink fell on it the phone got damaged and I took it to the after sales they said its a water damage and cannot  be claimed under warrenty .

I was like how can a waterproof phone get damaged by liquid . Anyway sense prevailed I mailed flipkart that I wasn't satisfied with the device (it was within 30 day replacement) . After some mails were exchanged I paid extra 2 grand and got the optimus 2X phone and in the short ownership I can say is that the phone is awesome at this price point even if LG gives a bit stepmotherly treatment to its device I can always use rooting to get updates and modify the phone .

I used to like Moto's from Razr days & even thought of buying the latest Razr but their quiality is not consistent. Great that Flipkart returned & congo on your new phone. Do share a full review when you start using it.

Thanks BF!!

I am still a noob in the Android world and I could even rearrange my homescreen properly.  There were some problem registering the google account (I have 2 step protection on it) but now I got that sorted out . The screen is great not as much as AMOLED+ and not bright as the lg optimus black (NOVA display) but the overall package is VFM . The 8 MPix camera is not the quality one I expected it to be .

I firstly download the launcher pro app and now the UI works well . The speakers are just about average (much louder than nokia E66 my Ex) . The 4.0inch display means that my fat finger are well suited to type message . The Battery is just about average with some apps running otherwise poor but its fine for me as I only make 2 calls on an average in a day . The phone was the first dual core phone to be launched exactly a year ago (and I am buying it now)

The reason for considering the Optimus 2X

1. Really no competition in the 18-21k price bracket . The SE neo V is good phone but the brigtness is too less even indoors . 

There are the usual galaxy phones the SL , s+ and R (now surprisingly discontinued)  The first 2 don't have camera flash and I couldn't image living w/o a flash (I need torch light) The R was an acceptable competitor but the price of the phone sht up by 2k and it didn't have a Gorilla glass and only 5 M pic camera . 1

The another best thing about this phone is that I will get the ICS in April 1st week . Though some 15k walkman phone has already got it . The dual core processor doesn't make this phone lagg much and the nvidia chip ensure that games will have good FPS.

Symbian Belle is out for Nokia N8 and makes N8 a different phone.No more lags' date=' android like drop down bar , six home screen and unch of ne wallpapers and ringtone.The update is 273 Mb and a PC connection is required.Durango Dude are you listening? Grab your update now and post some more pictures taken from your N8.smiley36.gif[/quote']

I have updated my wife's phone: N8 as I have moved to the iPhone 4 that I was sitting on for almost 5 months and then I cut the SIM on Jan 14th, 2012 and started using it. After Symbian Belle the update the first glitch was a blank contact list and to add insult to injury the phone wouldn't sync with Nokia Suite (latest 3.3.84). there bugs and I hope they bring out a patch fast. Thanks for remembering.

Planning to buy a new phone, but I am unaware of a few things.

1. Capacitive touch or resistive touch ?

2.  AGPS any good ? As good as MMI ?

3. I have shortlisted Nokia C5 05 and Samsung Galaxy Wave

4. Budget is low,smiley18.gif May be 7k max.

Requirements are

1. Good camera

2. GPS

3. Large screen / touch

4. Good battery life

5. Good music

6. 3.5mm jack

sb-alto2012-02-11 06:11:13

@ sb_alto -

1. Capacitive screen is way better than oudated resistive screen as you require more pressure to use touch screen in the later

2.AGPS or Assisted GPSit is basicaly GPS which uses intrenet conneion in addition to regular GPS to provide you accrate location.Data charges apply.

3.If you don't  payin few hundred rupees extra over your budget of Rs 7Kyou can get Samsung Y S5360 - it costs just Rs7550 ( in Flipkart) and  you get benefit of Android 2.3 ( Gingerbread )OS and speed of 830Mhz processor - This phone suits most of your requirements.

@Golf

Thanks a lot, I am really bad at choosing phones.

1. I got this.

2. Is there any phone with free GPS (or am I asking too much?)

3. Ok 7550 is reasonable. But I do not much about Android gingerbread OS, because I have only used Symbian S40 edition so farsmiley19.gif. Also how is 830 Mhz processor different from other processor. Please enlighten. And battery life?

4. Ok the options so far is Nokia C5 05/ Sansung Galaxy Wave / Samsung Galaxy Y (as per golf). Anything else?

@sb alto all I will say is that you don't get android at this price because

1.The apps compatability issue will be higher for the spec of these phones.

2. Processor speed is less therefore more laggy

3. Poor graphic and poor game play and video playback

These cheap entry level android phones should be avoided because mostly they don't support many apps ,they lag and then frustrate the user and the user will think that Android OS is bad .

I would say that you buy capacitive symbian mobile (NOKIA) and also at this price you will mostly get A-GPS only

If going for android I would say that the Galaxy ACE is the cheapest phone to support 80% of android apps and is not sluggish but it cost almost 13k.

Honestly, I do not know about android and stuffs. I am ok with anything which is easy to use and does not hand. I am not likely to install any apps at all.

Secondly 13k is out of bounds. 7-7.5k maximum

All nokia GPS are free for life ? AGPS or GPS ? I am confused

@sb-alto

Navigation in both Nokia and Google are free for life, but Google as of now is more accurate and detailed.

If you dont plan on installing any apps, go for Galaxy Y, its a good phone at the price point, and there really isn't a better alternative.

The Nokia C5-05 has resistive screen, way poor sensitivity, also has only A-GPS. The next best Nokia phone in this price range is Nokia 500, which will cost around 9000 Rs. It will get Belle update soon, and it should be much smoother than Android.

The difference between A-GPS and GPS is that in A-GPS, your mobile asks location to satelite through your network. So an approximate location is generated with accuracy varying for 200m to 4 km. In GPS the phone directly communicates with the satellite and hence is more accurate for 100m-400m

You can also look at Galaxy Pop. It is very similar to Galaxy Y, has larger screen better camera, a slightly slower processor, but with an additional Graphics processor for 8000 and is upgradable to 2.3 gingerbread.

Galaxy Y and Galaxy Ace are same phone with the difference in graphics processor (means less games) and a smaller screen size. The processor speed is same and so is RAM. See specs compared here

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=3724

I use Galaxy Y as my secondary phone and have no complaints till now, from the past 4 months.

If I were you, I would go for either Galaxy Pop or Nokia 500 depending on how much I can stretch my budget.

Rahul

Thanks a lot for the detailed answers. smiley20.gif. I never knew that it was so tough to decide on a phone.

1. Capacitive better than resistive - C5 ruled out, also just 2mp camera.But navigation is free. (one point to ponder)

2. If Samsung Galaxy Y, does it have navigation for free ? Also Agps with google maps ? (since you said that Google maps are accurate)

3. Samsung galaxy pop. Does that have only GPS ? or AGPS?

4. Nokia 500, only if the cheaper ones prove to be insufficient as per requirement.

1. Capacitive touch or resistive touch ? Cap

2.  AGPS any good ? As good as MMI ? Definitely

3. I have shortlisted Nokia C5 05 and Samsung Galaxy Wave - Both bad choice

4. Budget is low' date='smiley18.gif May be 7k max.

Galaxy Y is kind of I am also an Android, it does all the job as an ordinary android with poor resolution and same what weak battery.

My next choice is my own phone Optimus One, its old but a very good bet for around 8.5K with awesome battery and awesome resolution, should search around for this one.

Next choice should be, Optimus Net, a successor of the above with slightly speedier and cost 500 above, but this phone looks a tad cheaper.

Requirements are

1. Good camera

2. GPS

3. Large screen / touch

4. Good battery life

5. Good music

6. 3.5mm jack

[/quote']

Main reasons for me advising LG are, 1500mh battery, 512 RAM, 320*480 display, good sound and good service.

creativebala2012-02-12 06:43:39