speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

@sb-alto

GPS is free in almost all android phones and definitely on all the phones mentioned above.

The Nokia 500 is way more powerful, quite a lot smoother than the other phones mentioned here. Symbian Belle update will give it a new lease of life. It has a 5 MP camera, very good screen, 2 GB internal storage and 1 GHz processor, which runs Symbian (a much less resource intensive OS than android) effortlessly. If possible that is the phone to go for. This is the phone which in my opinion meets all your requirements the best.

@sb,

I this phone is more for experimental use, I would suggest you Idea Blade.

It costs below 8k with almost 4k worth of freebies like 3 months 3G, 3 months TV subscription, loads of free calls and its not LOCKed to Idea.

The same phone is sold across as Dell XCD35, ZTE Blade and Orange san fransisco Blade.

Its got 3.5" screen with awesome resolution. This phone was sold by dell for around 15k a year back.

@sb-alto

Blade is not a good idea. The plan they are offering is not very exciting, 3G is free for 3 months, but only 1 GB for each month, which on 3g speeds can be gone in an hour.

Lots of details of this deal is confusing like any other "deals" offered by network operators. Buy this phone only if you want large screen.

http://www.ideacellular.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/c5/dY3BCoJAGISfxSf4Z1d3taNI6FJsxK6We5ElTETTDhH09m106dLMbT6GjxyFLv45Dv4xrouf6UxOdhzCiiZLpdJWQsk6U8CGA5xOn4fsijKvknQPHHgTZi3MEbWJoeIvx5_kIF2tt55acumPx2xZ8LCdhZUMSKid-8FfXnSfpmsxRNEb7rmEhg!!/dl3/d3/L0lJSklna21BL0lKakFBTXlBQkVSQ0pBISEvNEZHZ3NvMFZ2emE5SUFnIS83XzIwNVQ1Vjg3NklTRTEwSTYxS1QwVDYxMDA0L1NXaGZZOTYyMTAwMDM!/?WCM_PORTLET=PC_7_205T5V876ISE10I61KT0T61004000000_WCM&WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/global_static_lib/devices/blade_sa#Offer ">Check Idea Blade details here

However a much better option is still Nokia 500. Powerful, elegant, good software, 5 MP camera great battery life and meets every requirement you have put comfortaby

As of now, the choice is between Galaxy Y, Nokia 500, C5-03(not c5 -05), and Galaxy Pop.

Nokia 500 is the best one on specs, but a bit out of budget. Still very much on cards. Might need to wait for a month more to acquire fund.

@rahul

Link is getting back to the same forum page.

sb-alto2012-02-13 15:34:38

@Bornfree looks like you are an apple fanboy after getting a faulty handset you again brave it out on another varient of the phone I hope this isn't faulty .

I guess the 4S costs around 56k ? Also did apple refund you the whole amount of the faulty device earlier?

@sb-alto

Go for the LG NET it has good ownership reviews and the specs are great as well . The Google maps can be downloaded for any mobile for free from the net so just look at the hardware at the moment then think try which OS suits you the most.

Main reasons for me advising LG are' date=' 1500mh battery, 512 RAM, 320*480 display, good sound and good service.

[/quote']

These 4 things are very important for any mobile. Do check these components first before buying your mobile.

All samsung have 240 x 320 pixels( many apps wont work in this resolution), 1200mAh battery, about half the RAM and bad service.

As a result, you will be awarded with poor battery life, pathetic display and lots of lag in samsung in this price band. \

So, my advise, stick only to LG. Nokia may be good, but not as proven as Android.

*Update* Bought an iphone 4s. Now fiddling with it..!

Congrats, BF. Is it the 16 GB model? How is 'Siri'? How is 8MP camera? Expecting a few pics from your DSLR and the iPhone 4S, long over due.Durango Dude2012-02-15 07:50:56

*Update* Bought an iphone 4s. Now fiddling with it..!

Congrats alot BF for buying India's favourite & hottest selling Premium cellphone -iPhone 4S.

Which shade you've bought ?? White or Black !

Hope you'll be enjoying its Super-soft Touch screen' date=' User friendly Interface & its 8MP Digital Cam like camera.

Goodluck & Have a happy i-Ownership ahead.

Now waiting for the News of your upcoming New Surprise Diesel car purchase.

P.S: Buy it before 15th of March, as heard that Govt will most probably be imposing additional 10% tax on Diesel cars.

How is this Samsung Wave Y ? It is based on Bada 2.0. How is it compared to Galaxy Y ?

Go for Wave Y.

Prime reasons favouring it are:

-Better Cam against Android based Galaxy series.

-Better Graphics than Galaxy series.

-Standby Interface in Bada-based Wave series is more functional than Galaxy.

-Though Android supports more Apps but Bada is more Practical & functional than Android(based on my Personal experience as I'm having both Galaxy3 & Wave 525).

P.S: Spend a bit more & buy atleast More functional phone with better Processor, Cam, etc.

Why not have a look at Wave M or OMNIA W or Nokia LUMIA 710.

@sb-alto

Dont go for Wave Y. No GPS.

Samsung just updated their Galaxy Pop with a faster processor and renamed it Galaxy Pop Plus. You should have a look at that phone too. Its bigger than Galaxy Y, better camera and has graphics processor and costs 8.3 k.

The best phone for you in my opinion remains Nokia 500 priced at 9k.

Link for Galaxy Pop Plus

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-galaxy-pop-plus-s5570i-mobile-phone/p/itmd6krnrwet2bdc?pid=MOBD6KRMXUTFJGMN

@Rahul:

Nokia 500 seems to be good but Symbian OS is still a !!

Samsung Galaxy series isn't a great either, atleast up 18k price range, thanks to its Dull LCD(of very limited colour contrast) & Weak Camera.

Only saving grace for Galaxy series is Android OS.

Wave is much better -Cam of Wave 525 is much better than Galaxy Ace, which costs around double the former.

So, for routine usage Nokia 500 seems to be good or Wave M.

Please throw some light on Nokia500, if you're having personal experience with it.

@rahul

Nokia 500 is very much on cards. Still checking a few phones to make sure I am not missing anything at a cheaper price. I will have a look at galaxy pop plus.

BTW Wave Y has GPS (AGPS). Specs below

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/mobile-phone/mobile-phone/smartphone/GT-S5380SSAINU-spec

@nishu

Wave Y has just 2MP camera. That is the only spoiling factor. Wave M is costly. I am not ready to spend hefty on phones, as I do not know much about it and use only 2% of all features. Budget is 7k to 9k max

sb-alto2012-02-24 18:05:07

@sb-alto

Wave series has GPS but the GPS softwares are not free. You have to buy the software at extra cost, and they are no where as good as Google/Nokia Maps.

@sb & nishu

With Symbian Belle upgrade the Symbian interface has become much better. You can check the review here

http://blog.gsmarena.com/leaving-anna-for-belle-we-take-an-up-close-look-at-symbians-latest-version-review/

If you are interested in Micromax then you can have a look at Micromax A75(dual sim). It has 3.75 inch screen and 3.2 MP camera with flash.

Rahul

Thanks for that, I would not want a pay GPS service at any cost. So no wave Y. Nokia C5 03 was also good but Resistive touch. Nokia 500 is the best of the lot now.

Is micromax good? Trust worthy ? reliable ?

I have no opinions formed towards Micromax as really have no idea what their quality is. It would be better going to a Multi Brand showroom and asking for their opinions, and the customer feedback they have received.

Nokia announces a 41 MP camera for it's 808 Pure View' date=' N8 successor. http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/27/2827158/nokia-808-pureview-launch-pictures-video-preview smiley3.gif [/quote']

The Pureview is an excellent concept from Nokia. While it is clear that most of us will not use 41 MP, and it very likely will not be of very high quality at that level, the high pixl ratio would be off immense use when the image is compressed in size, thereby having ratios of 5 pixel per pixel for an 8 MP image.

Those in confusion, read this article.