speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

A samsung store is offering Galaxy ACE at Rs 11.5K . Worth the stretch ? Or Nokia 500 as it is now ?

Forget it, sb.

Its having a Crap camera with poor Color differentiation, Contrast & Picture Quality. Instead my l'll SAMSUNG is having better quality & Sound at even 1/3rd of its Initial price.

Features only in its favour are Good Touch Screen Interface & its Outlook.

At ~11.5k of budget you can get many other better Handsets, in HTC, Sony Ericsson brands or even Wave M is better, I guess.

@rahul:

Even I'm also a SAMSUNG Galaxy owner, I'm having GALAXY 3 with 3.0 MP cam & My sister is having Galaxy Ace.

Though these phones are really functional with Functional interface

& wide range of Apps but the camera pic quality of GALAXY series is

really a crap, if compared against Sony Ericsson or even SAMSUNG

Non-Galaxy series handsets.

The cam & pic quality of my other Wave-I(525) & SAMSUNG C3322

are still much better, while they costs 5k & 7k respectively lesser than

Ace.

Only Galaxy Pop is having somewhat better picture clarity than Sub 18k Galaxy range.

So, My vote goes to Non-Galaxy range if one really wants Cam clarity.

Btw, a Cam shot from my My Galaxy 3(3.0mp cam)

NvVtRl.jpg

from C3322(2 mp cam);

Gvmavl.jpg

& From my previous Sony Ericsson Naite(2 mp cam)

UWQndl.jpg

dr_nishu2012-03-08 16:35:35

@nishu

Galaxy 3 is an entry level phone, so you can't really hold it as benchmark, just like you cant hold Galaxy y as benchmark today. Galaxy Ace, S, S-LCD and especially S-II have pretty good cameras.

@nishu

Galaxy 3 is an entry level phone' date=' so you can't really hold it as benchmark, just like you cant hold Galaxy y as benchmark today. Galaxy Ace, S, S-LCD and especially S-II have pretty good cameras.[/quote']

Galaxy 5 was the most basic amongst Android phones by SAMSUNG back in 2010, not the Galaxy 3.

Actually SAMSUNG launched 3 Galaxy phones launched back in 2010 on Android 2.1 platform, those were;

-Galaxy 5(base) with 2.0mp Cam.

-Galaxy 3(Mid) with 3.0 mp Cam &

-Galaxy S(top-end).

& These were priced at 10k, 13k & 24k respectively at that time.

If you Still Insist i can post similar kind of pic clicked by Ace.

My previous SE Walkman W580i, Naite were the best in Cam clarity against Sub 18k Galaxy phones.

But now my l'll Samsung C3322 is doing the job perfect in clicking daily casual shots.dr_nishu2012-03-08 18:30:34

My sister has the HTC wildfire S which is a great entry level android smartphone and was solely bought for the great build quality amoungst touch screen phones.

The only issue was the 1100mAh battery life . For a touch screen mobile even a 1500mAh battery is too less if one uses 3G and calls for 2 hours a day . So I read about the extended batteries which are available aftermarket . As usual in India we never get these things and online purchase was the only option . But I have very less experience in online purchases so I was a bit skeptical .

Some companies claim that the stock size battery will have more charging capacity and I was against that because it is not safe to have that much charge with a smaller volume.

I was looking for the extended batteries which were roughly 2 the size of original and with about twice the charge levels . So a 2200mAh battery was the one I wanted . There was only one seller which met the criteria other claimed that they had 3500 mAh charge which extended battery which I felt was not right and not safe.

So I ordered the battey from

on the 3 of march and they delivered the battery on the 15 th . All I can say is that my sister is happy with the performance since a couple of days and its the best accessory you can purchase on a touchscreen mobile .

They offer 6 month warrenty and provide the extended back cover as well .Overall the service is great and they reply a query with in 12 hours (atleast that was for me) . And get this the original 1100mAh battery costs Rs.1100 bucks and this one costed Rs 890 with registered airmail service . Now I am looking to book an extended battery for my LG optimus 2x.

Guys, I have checked the Galaxy Y. Did not really like it. Used it for 5-6 hours and found these negatives.

- small screen , resolution is not very appealing

- GPS did not work without internet connection,

- not very good battery backup

- earphone sound quality is not good

- 3.5mm AUX did not work smoothly Pioneer AUX port.

- scroll function can be better.

I am more inclined towards higher phones now. budget can be around 12-13k

also I need another phone in the 5k budget. Preferably touch phone.

@sb-alto

GPS requires internet connection, because it needs to download maps. Only a small memory is allocated to cache map data, hence it connects to internet everytime. However, if you have the map cached, you can try switching off the network and GPS will still work.

At around 13.5k you have Sony Live with Walkman. This phone is the best in this price range. Great camera, 720p video recording, 1 GHz processor, confirmed upgrade to Android 4.0, 3.2 inch.

Sacrifice 0.2 inch in screen size, and you get a much better quality screen in Xperia Mini. Other specs and details are same, but at a little lower price ~12k.

At 14.5k you have Nokia Lumia 710. This provides you the benefit of getting the ability to download maps through your computer, so no network connection is required. Also the screen is great, 3.7 inch, 1.4 GHz, Windows Phone 7, which is smoother than Android.

If it is possible to stretch go for Nokia Lumia 710 as its in a different segment. Else go for Sony Live with Walkman.

At 5k, I would recommend you dont go for touchscreen, as the response would be very laggy. I would recommend you go for Nokia Asha 300 which also offers little bit of touch experience. If you want full touchscreen, check out Sony Ericsson Mix Walkman (~6k)

For the budget of 12-13k try out the galaxy Ace just because it has a good battery back up and also the screen size is big enough and can be used for access for net . The HTC wildfire S is not recommended due to smaller battery back up .

Ok update, BIG update,

Phone budget is 13k now, Galaxy Ace is on minds,

I am getting IPAD 3G+Wifi 32GB this week

Also suggest me a basic laptop in the range of 25-30k .(Looking for 500GB HDD, i3 processor, 15.6 display, good battery life ) I do not expect too much out of it,

@sb-alto

If you can stretch to 14k you can have a look at Lumia 710 and Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman.

Lumia 710 will allow you to download the maps, and will give you a full powered top range smartphone experience. I have been using it for 3 weeks and it has been a great experience.

With the Sony, you will have the benefits of more apps, but experience of a mid range smartphone. Also a slightly smaller screen.

Regarding laptops, if you dont have an aversion to Samsung have a look at this. Suits your requirement perfectly.

If you dont have aversion to adding RAM(4GB is recommended) from an external shop, have a look at this Toshiba Model. It has a 512 MB dedicated graphics memory. There is a similar Asus model with 1 GB dedicated graphics card.

You can find the complete list of models meeting your requirements here

Is fujitsu reliable ? I mean I have never heard of them. I am getting ipad 2 3G+wifi 32gb for 34k (special price). So I do not have much to spend. But I heard that Toshiba laptops have good battery backup. But are they good in service and spares?

I have no idea about Fujitsu, but Samsung should be reliable and wih good service network.

If you are still unsure, go for Dell Vostro 1550 for 27k and add 2 GB Ram on the existing 2 GB one. Vostro laptops are quite sturdy and durable with good build quality.

I have an HP and would recommend you not to go for it. Huge heating problem. I was told that it has been corrected and told it has some new tech (ad jargon) that solves but its not to be. On complaining they will tell you that its standard and to operate it from desk, mentioning its good for our health too!

You should go for Lenovo only if its ThinkPad. IdeaPad series is not very good.

I dont have much opinion about Toshiba and Samsung because of no first hand experience. However the Samsung looks the best specced and should be a good VFM buy.

@sb:

Strange to see that why you've not considered SONY VAIO E-Series laptops.

These are good looking, are excellent performing, have multiple configuration options &are pretty reliable too with 1year complete warranty(including battery and charger) and 1year extended warranty option.

In 27-28k you can get awesome looking vaio with 2nd gen i3, 500gb HDD, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 512MB NVIDIA Graphic card.

Battery backup is also great in it and is upto 4hrs.

Vostro 1450 has 2 GB RAM and 320 GB Hard Disk. As the requirement stated by sb is 500 GB, a difference of 180 GB is significant. And 2 GB RAM is now a tale of old times. 4 GB has become a standard across all variants, excluding netbooks!

@driftpunk

RAM can always be added with no risk on top of the existing RAM for a very small sum. Similarly for the Hard Disk space. Also there is a Vostro 1450 model costing 2k more with both of that.

As I have already said above, it depends on the brand trust. If he has no problem with Samsung it is the best available in terms of specs. If he wants to go for a proven brand, Dell Vostro 1550 is the best available.

Unless and until he is an avid user, using laptop 10-12 hours a day, he wont be needing extended warranty.