speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

I have selected Lenovo G 570 i3 2nd gen, 500GB, 4GB ram, 1 GB ATI raedon, 15.6 HD LED, and all other standard feature. Price is 34k including all. 5 Gifts assured.

Some are rejected on grounds of poor review, while some on subject to stock.

Selected ipad is the 16GB 3G+Wifi . Price is 28k

Phone is still undecided.

@sb-alto

You can get same model with i5 at 34940 on Flipkart.com (Link)

The i3 model on Flipkart costs 30k.Link

Regarding phones, espescially now that you are getting an iPad, Nokia Lumia looks the perfect one for you. As whatever apps you may feel are not there on Windows Phone(only few of the popular ones), would be there on iPad, and therefore they would both complement each other.

@rahul

The one that you have mentioned comes with DOS, while the one I am going for is with Win7 HB. The price difference is 3-4k. I will try to get the i5 with Win7 at 37500.

Lumia looks good. I guess it is near 15k right ?

while the one I am going for is with Win7 HB. The price difference is 3-4k. I will try to get the i5 with Win7 at 37500.

Lumia looks good. I guess it is near 15k right ?

For this budget, you can get this Sony Vaio laptop with;

-i5 processor with Turbo boost function.

+500GB HDD.

+4 GB DDR3 RAM.

+NVIDIA Graphic card.

+LED 15.5-Inch display.

+Great Battery life.

+Sony Quality & Reliability.

all at ~37.5-38k after discounts.

Lenovo, hp or Dell are nowhere near around it, as per what i'm experiencing.

Regarding phones, In 15k you can get SAMSUNG OMNIA W or Nokia LUMIA or SAMSUNG WAVE-III

All are equally good but Wave-III is l'll bit expensive over these Windows phones.dr_nishu2012-04-15 08:20:10

@rahulThe one that you have mentioned comes with DOS' date=' while the one I am going for is with Win7 HB. The price difference is 3-4k. I will try to get the i5 with Win7 at 37500. Lumia looks good. I guess it is near 15k right ?

[/quote']

Yes Lumia is around 14.5-15k, can be brought to around 14k with a bit of haggling. Of the phones Nishu has mentioned Lumia takes the cake because of Nokia's excellent navigation tools, where you could also download maps and store it on your phone to use without data connectivity.

Your laptop choice seem justified, but keep in mind that Windows 8 is coming in October, so basically you will end up paying 4000 for a software that will be outdated in 6 months. Instead of that its better to use Windows 8 Customer preview(very stable, I am using it) which is legally free till January, and then get Windows 8.

EDIT:

@sb_alto

How long can you hold out on your laptop purchase. New Intel chips are coming and should be in Indian markets by June. They are much faster, efficient, and extremely good in graphics department, so much that unless you are a serious gamer, you don't need to put extra money on a graphics cardrahul18102012-04-15 10:10:27

If you have to buy now, you should also check check this odel from HP.

It has AMD A6 APU, which is comparable to Intel i5, along with 1 GB of graphics card all at 31k only. You can get an extended warranty of another year for just 1000 RsDetails here. Bear in mind, you have to purchase it before 20 April to get the extended warranty.

It also comes with Windows 7HB.

@nishu

Sony looked good but a bit down on specs. 512 graphics and I am getting 1GB at 4k less. Except you, not many vaio users I know.

No HP this time. Service cost is too much. I am using a mini 110-1051TU and cost of spares is more than cost of the mini. Dell is not value for money. Inspiron 15 R looked good but pricey.

@Rahul

I can wait till 1st week of May, or maximum 2nd week. I have exams from 22 till 31st and I will be leaving on 2nd June. By that time I need to finish shopping all these.

I am told about windows 8. But somehow I have to use it before its arrival also. Moreover buying windows separately is getting dearer than a laptop with pre installed windows.

Are you talking about new processors or graphics ? I can wait only if I get the new ones within my budget. Else I will have to settle for whatever options I have now.

@sb-alto

For electronics spares are always priced very high. For my 3 years old Thinkpad laptop which costed me 27k, charge for replacing screen was 25k plus taxes. So no point ruling out HP as that is the case with every manufacturer.

Regarding Windows 8, there is customer preview for windows 8 which is full featured and you are allowed to use till January after which you have to buy. I would recommend you buy laptop without Windows, install Windows 8, and then buy it once it releases. If you don't play games, or have use specific Windows only softwares, you can also try out Linux.

The new processors have been priced the same as the previous ones, but you can expect the companies selling the laptop to price it higher at start to ride on the hype wave. Also they would be coming only in June, very unlikely to come in May.

So buy the laptop now for your case. Look at the HP above, get it with 1 year extended warranty. That would be the best choice in my opinion, especially, as HP in general is better than Lenovo non Thinkpad range.

Bought an UV filter and Circular PL(Polaroid) filter. The PL filter is used to cut off reflections. It makes blue sky bluer and white clouds whiter,by cutting down reflections. Also eliminates water reflection. (Info)

Ever wondered how these photos are taken ? But why you dont get such results ? Its not photoshop but PL filter.

archesnationalpark1.jpg

The filters

dscn1420z.jpg

dscn1422p.jpg

dscn1423a.jpg

dscn1424m.jpg

See the difference

dscn1425pc.jpg

dscn1426q.jpg

@BornFree

A must for your SLR.

@Rahul

HP seems less VFM. Extended warranty is cheap, but proves to be less worthy even when compared to dell. BTW I will be buying the i5 +DOS version of the Lenovo G570. Windows 8 will be next. (as per your suggestion)

@sb_alto: Congrats on the filters. I have booked a 'Bridge': Nikon Coolpix P510 has impressive specs; I'm eagerly awaiting delivery from Flipkart. My trusty Samsung Digimax S600 called it a day after serving me exceedingly well for almost 5 years. I get a white overexposed image for last few weeks. What could be the defect? Is it serviceable?

Heyy.. Am New to the DSLR Family, being a novice am surprised with the quality of pics produced in Auto mode from My Cannon 1100D With 18-55 Lens and a Complimentary Hoya Filter..

So lets See if any one can guess how much I paid for this cam?

MRP is arnd 35k i guess..

Its available at 28k at many stores.

I got lucky and simply walked into a store and the gentleman quoted 24k With the lens, filter, lens protector, scratch guard. :-D (I was like is this a New piece or Used)

Am extremely happy with the performance but want to learn more desperately

^^^

Even I heard many goods about this particular camera and was under the impression of choosing one between 3100Nik or 1100Canon with a budget of around 30k, but BF asked me to wait for yen correction

But last week, I saw the same camera for 22.5k, was like shocked and your info of 24k proves the 22.5k is right.

The 22.5k price with lenses at Saravana Stores( The Inspiration story for Big Bazaar)

@BF

What could be the reason for such price difference?

Flipkart says 29k

Saravana Stores 22.5k

Some other stores 24k.....

creativebala2012-05-03 04:51:25

The fact of the matter is I was out in the market to buy myself a Nikon D3100, with a price of 28-29k in my mind.

I chose Nikon initially as it was a latter model than the rival Canon and was expensive only by just 1 - 2k. I thought it would be worth paying that extra amount for the Nikon.

But when I was quoted a price of 24 for Canon and 29 for Nikon its changed the game completely and I immediately decided to buy Canon instead. icing on the cake was the freebies worth at least 1K

Talking about the Yen.. I had purchased this in November 2011 end and you are talking about a month back i guess.

goenkakushal2012-05-03 05:13:46

@CB & Goenka: Those DSLR's are coming at 'Bridge' prices. The reason to choose the Nikon Coolpix P510 is it's incredible Optical zoom of 42x, going from 24mm all the way to 1000mm in DSLR terms it will mean 3 sets of very expensive lenses. I got it yesterday and results are good.

@DD Even I was thinking of going for something like the coolpix510 or similar models because of the superb zooming capability but my friends discouraged me saying that the pics from SLR are not comparable to any other cam and dont compromise on camera only because of zoom.

Hence I opted for a DSLR but I am still unaware it that was a right decision.

@DD

Congratulations on the purchase. Bridge cameras are real value for money these days. Looks like a sensor problem or lens misalignment both of which is a cheap rectification. My old Nikon P60 had similar problem of turning pics pink. Sensor replacement was the solution and had to shell out Rs1200. No problem ever since.

42x zoom is good and bad. Do buy a tripod when you use the longer end of the zoom. Also since there is a CMOS sensor, try using a SDXC card instead of normal SDs, even SDHC will do, but SDXC should be the best bet.

@CB, Kushal and DD

1. SLR pics are far better than Bridge cameras, only if you can use the correct settings. Any first time user can screw up settings and blame the SLR. People who says blindly that SLR takes better quality than other digital cameras are saying it out of mental satisfaction or because it is costly.

2. Zoom is not the ultimate determinant of whether a camera is good or its pic quality will be poor. All depends on the size of sensor and the amount of pixel density that it holds. For any camera, be it a SLR or Bridge, long zooms pose vibration threats and thus ruin photo quality. Since it is in the longest area of the lens and the narrowest band, any minor movement makes a major shift in light rays and you get a blurred image. (Psst : Ever seen camera men behind cricket boundaries, with black and white lens ?, they use two tripods often, one for the camera, one for the lens.)

3. The difference between quality and features of high end bridge and low range SLR is negligible. The SLRs in the range below 30k use the same sensor as a Canon powershot or Nikon coolpix. The only thing you get is a lens which needs manual adjustment and flexibility.

4. Thailand is the best place to buy cameras. Cheapest among the world. Prices are almost half of current market prices.

5. D3100 is better than 1100D anyday. Not everything can be justified with specs.

20120504_113735_DSCN0250_-_Copy.JPG

I think this pic will give an idea as to the P510's capabilities. I have been running after pigeons ever since I got the camera.

Here are some hand held night pics and flowers and coconut pods so you can get an idea.

20120504_114637_DSCN0072_-_Copy.JPG

20120504_114708_DSCN0078_-_Copy.JPG

20120504_114743_DSCN0088_-_Copy.JPG

20120504_114813_DSCN0014_-_Copy.JPG

20120504_114831_DSCN0016_-_Copy.JPGDurango Dude2012-05-04 11:49:01

@DD,

Congrats for your new eye.

Awesome Photos, especially the Pigeon.

How about creating a telescope room in your rooftop and showing people, the far of Beach, Santhome Church, MRTS train, Kapalishwar temple... and collecting Rs10 each as they do in Hill station.(I guess 42x can do it )

@CB: Thanks, I may not do that but may give a moon shot a try, but have failed this far, unable to get the settings for the "moon", with tomorrow being full moon I think I shall give it a shot. Mean while I'd like sb_alto to guide me as to how to get it right.

@DD

Daylight photos are very good indeed. Night images can get even better with some tricks. Moon images are rather easy to capture if the sky is clear. Always try to use all the modes as and when you get a chance,also play with white balance in different light conditions. You will get tremendous results.

@CB

10k is it ? I thought it was 5-6k difference. 1000D is almost non existent now, and 1100D is around 26-28k. Moreover, your idea of cost benefit for getting new lens or tripod is not bad, but trust me, if you have a SLR, you need all those(or want) even if you have an EOS 5D MarkII or something. But on a serious note, photo quality of Nikon D3100 is far superior in all sorts of light conditions.

I have selected Lenovo G 570 i3 2nd gen' date=' 500GB, 4GB ram, 1 GB ATI raedon, 15.6 HD LED, and all other standard feature. Price is 34k including all. 5 Gifts assured. Some are rejected on grounds of poor review, while some on subject to stock. Selected ipad is the 16GB 3G+Wifi . Price is 28k Phone is still undecided.

[/quote']

Avoid Lenovo.

Even some stranger gave me the advice to not to opt for Lenovo, when I was in the hunt for a lappy last year.

& after seeing the 1.2 year old lenovo of my friend, what I can say is a BIG THANKS to that guy who saved me from a mess.

The same I'd suggest you to, go for DELL if not VAIO.

But here at our Institute/Workplace, New SONY VAIO E-Series is much dominant now.

Another frequently seen are Dell XPS series with JBL Audio.

HP, Compaq & Old VAIO E-series are the thing of the past now.

A brotherly advice, Just rethink onto your decision.