abanerji

Branded fuel

No problem. In fact if you took on a good volume (say more than 50% is now Power) you may feel the car running smoother and with more pep as it cleans out the fuel system. Experimentation by a friend with his Baleno revealed that there is a ~5% improvement in the consumption as well. I run my Accent which is E-II on premium fuels once they became available. Befor that I was using Formula G additive.

You may note that Euro II required only 89ON while Euro III is 91ON. Your ECU will be able to take advantage of it. XtraPremium is 93ON.

There is no problem. Only we find that the additives in branded fuels tends to keep the fuel system in better shape. Since you are in an E-III location the Octane change (91 to 93) is insignificant.

I have used additives (STP and then Formula G) and now branded fuel for over 8 years, and have found the cars running far smoother, with better pick up.

If you run with unbranded fuel consistently then on switching to branded or adding additives you will notice a distinct improvement. The odd tankful of normal does not matter. Whether A segment or C segment is again irrelevant.

If you get the 5% improvement in consumption, which is what I feel as well, then it covers the premium paid, and you have a smoother engine as a bonus.

Thanks sgiitk for your valuable thoughts. So what's the ON of the normal unleaded fuel in cities like NCR? And if a car is Euro-II compliant only then is it of any use to put Extra Premium fuel in it?

Also I have read that Fuel companies are pushing the sale of premium fuel as they have better margings in it... your thoughts?

I have already stated that it is 91ON (or more precisely RON) in all Euro-III cities. This includes all metros, and quite a few ther cities. In other places it is 87(?) RON. Thus XtraPremium gets you a 6ON advantage in these cities. There is a link to the IOC site giving this information floating around in quite a few threads.

Whether the fuel cos. are after better marguins or not does not bug me since on a Rs/km basis premiums work out cheaper (or at least no costlier).

sorry for grasping the crux slowly. So what I am concluding is that if one is having a Euro-II compatible car and lives in a Metro city, then there is no use of putting a fuel like 'Extra Premium' in that car as the normal fuel only will serve the purpose... am I correct here?

well i think guysz u should'nt  be pampering ur car with premium fuel...the branded fuel is a good deal costly than the unleaded...while ur mileage might increase by 10 % but its around rs 3.5-4 costly than the unleaded which will negate the increase in mileage so i think better fill ur car with the unleaded !!!

@ Mehul: Premium fuel is not just for increasing mileage but also to keep the engine clean. Want to add that in Madras, the difference between branded and unbranded fuel is nearly Rs.5.

i accept d fact that the branded fuel keeps the engine clean but unleaded doesnt much dirties the engine and even if it does its taken care of if you get your car serviced after every 10,000 kms.....so according to me the branded fuel is not worth paying for...if the branded fuel was priced at 1.5-2 more than the unleaded than it would have been a good proposition but right now due to high crude price itz really expensive to use it !!!!

Sure, there are so many people who would have switched to Unleaded because of the higher price difference after the June price hike. Earlier the difference was just Rs.2.

Anyway I have only been using premium fuels for my cars and continue using them.

here is the negative side....my bajaj service guy told me that using premium fuel will create more carbon compounds and that the oil needs to be changed a little bit earlier and that the silencer wil be filled with carbon deposits early in the lifecycle...i donno how much of this is true

yes this might be true...but the high cost difference and just a marginal increase in mikeage so i dont find it feasible to fill premium fuel....had i owned a diesel car then i would have certainly used the premium diesel cause diesel's quality is still a matter of suspect in india !!!!

But what about cars that perform better or just as good on regular fuel. I remember my Accent CRDi used to smoke with turbojet or any of these branded premium diesel. Same with the Safari. I believe common rail engines perform best with regular diesel.

FRG

Even my skoda workshop guy tells me not to put turo/extra fuel.

Anyone knows the exact rating of fuel in bombay and delhi?

I read somewhere that normal petrol in Delhi and NCR is 91octane while bombay is 89 octane.

True??

And CR-V manual says 91octane fuel is needed.

So whichone is 91octane, speed from BP? amd if I fill normal fuel which if is 89octane will damage the car/ engine in any way?

And it is worth spending the extra money for speed?(keeping in mind that the car requires (or alteast the manual says so) to fill 91 octane).

And what are the octane ratings for other fuel brands? like power and extra.

Immediately after the fuel price hike the oil marketing co's stopped supplying the ordinary petrol and had fuel pumps dispense only the premuim petrol and diesel. There's no way that you can be sure what your tanking up with, probably we are being taken for a ride: probably we are tanking up with ordinary petrol labelled as premium. And after all the hue and cry they brought back the ordinary petrol. The price of ordinary is 55.07/ lit, premium is almost 59.67/lit. so in effect the oil cos made a killing of getting a hike in price of almost Rs.10/ lit. for some period of time.

i dont recommend branded fuels ........manufacturers recommend unleaded petrol as fuel ...........& vehicle will be tuned for such fuel.........premium fuels has additives which creates starting problem & in long run decreases life of the engine >>>

So you are saying if my vehicle requires 91octane fuel and normal fuel is less than that so I stick to normal fuel only?

Anyways, Anyone know the exact octane rating of fuel in Delhi and Bombay normal as well as speed/priemum fuels.

Though I have heard from some friends that speed is real good and best for the car. Any comments on speed particulary?

Think of braded fuel as a sometime using fuel I use it once in 500km (2 lt) to add additives to it and clean the carbon deposists I don't know if it does it but surely the pick of my carb zen is up.