rgollas

Hyundai Verna - The great disappointment

They claimed that the Verna would give me 13 km/ltr. But it has never given me more than 8.75 km/ltr. It quickly drops down to 7.5 or 8 km/ltr after every tuning. Both the dealer and Hyundai dodged me for almost a year before literally asking me to go jump. A fellow called Ashwin from Hyundai said I could do what I wanted.

The headlamps are really bad. You can't see the road at night. Every time I complained, they did a shoddier job of alignment.

The side mirror design is really bad. You can't see what's behind you in the dark.

There are many kinds of noise I hear under the hood, but they have shaken me off with excuses like "dust in the belt drive", "I can't hear it", "it is because the catalytic converter has expanded due to the heat", etc.

The demo vehicle had a very good suspension, but my vehicle behaves worse than an offroader. They refuse to do anything about it.

Hyundai does not seem to realize that they are in a competitive market and they need to at least behave better if not make better cars. There is a distinct difference I can see between Japanse car makers and these Koreans.

This is really a bad thing that hyundai people are behaving with you like this..........i think the milage problem can be because of your driving style..n forget about the claims by the company.....most of times they are never true......n the headlamps ...i think u should change them to another one ...or try to fit xenons.........yes..u r right the design of ORVMs is really disappointing.....but i dont think so we can do about this problem........why dont you send an email to hyundai about your greviances from hyundai verna.......or if you are a member of Autocar India.......then call at their helpdesk...............hope...hyundai will solve your problems soon.......smiley1.gif 

hyundai petrol cars are not very fuel efficient inherantly when compared to japanese rivals.

extremely bad behaviour by hyundai in dealing with a customer in this manner.

well i think communistic tendancies are taking over.

@rgollas , really sad hearing your grievence! but i think yours is a petrol verna , coz diesel can never give such a low milage , the Diesel Verna gives 13kmpl in city , petrol gives around 10 kmpl also in busy city , it would obviously give less, always company's claims are never to be believed cause the claim more and that is under thier testing conditions and not on regular driving basis!

Well i think this the first complaint regarding the noice and other such things , well it would be better if you mail the Hyundai guys about this, so that they could get back to you regarding your problem , incase they dont solve , do write to Autocarindia people , and your problem will be solved without any doubt!

Cheers!

Sorry to read your woe. Its sad that Hyundai that was once well known for its after sales, is dithering now and toeing the line of some very famous but stubbornly behaved car makers. The media is the best place where you can publicise their attitude. If that fails the consumer's forum is the last resort.

as said,korean engines are not as efficient as japanese ones...infact they are one of the worst as mentioned by autocar.....and sorry to hear about your problems...try autocar helpline or sue them

send Hyundai and the dealer a notice through a good lawyer and then file a case in consumer court. Also write to every car magazine to publicise your grievence. Thats the only way to deal with such companies.

You haven't mentioned if its a diesel or petrol. If it's a petrol then the mileage is par for course. What do you expect living in Bangalore, with nightmarish gridlocks and narrow avenues, and probably the largest number of speedbreakers I have ever seen. It's like one at the beggining of the street and one in the middle and one at the end of the street; so you end up going over a speed breaker every 20 feet. Don't expect any one to do a mileage marathon driving within B'lore city.

Bro, For better average try to find sweet spot of the car, most of the cars have sweet spot in 5th gear with 2500 rpm and 80kmph speed if can manage. Besides check below recommendations

Maintain correct tyre pressure,Under-inflated tyres result in increased running resistance, leading to higher fuel consumption<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Maintain proper front-wheel alignment; Improper front wheel alignment causes tyres to wear out faster and exerts more load on the engine, leading to higher fuel consumption.

Avoid driving with excess weight; Excess weight increases load on the engine, leading to higher fuel consumption.

Avoid excessive engine idling; It is advisable to switch the engine OFF during prolonged waits at traffic signals, railway crossings etc.

Avoid fast start and unnecessary stops; Avoid sudden acceleration or deceleration.

Do not try to maintain the same speed up a hill; accelerate no more than you would on the level. Keep your foot in the same position on the acceleration.

Driving with open window at high speed will increase fuel consumption.

Avoid long warm-ups. Once the engine runs smoothly,start driving.

Drive the vehicle at optimum engine speeds.

Maintain a clean air-cleaner; Clogged air-cleaner decreases the amount of air supplied to the engine,resulting in incomplete combustion and thus, wastage of fuel.

Anticipate traffic conditions. Avoid traffic congestions wheneve and wherever possible. This would lead to considerable fuel savings.

Fill up your car in the early Moring when the ground temperature is still Cold : All service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre is not exactly a litre.

Do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look, you will see that the trigger has three stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

Fill up fuel tank when your vehicle tank is HALF full: The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation

Do not fill up fuel in tank, when there is a fuel truck pumping into storage Tanks : Most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. 

Use the Highest Gear Possible
Cars are designed to start in the lowest gear possible because that's where they have the most power, but that power translates to an increase in fuel consumption. To improve your fuel economy, drive in the highest gear possible when you are cruising at a steady speed, such as on the highway. If your vehicle has an automatic transmission with a "sport" mode, it's most likely that this is a computer program designed to shift later (and therefore keep you in a lower gear longer). While this gives you greater performance, driving in "sport" mode will also decrease your fuel economy.

Use Cruise Control

well some really good info...thanx buddy...as for the problem i dont think any petrol car manages more than 12 kmpl in any damn city of india and if ur living in banagalore or mumbai than 9-10 kmpl is the norm but really as a product i am not at all impressed by verna  and the worse is that the crdi is damn expensive being around a lakh more than the highest petrol variant without many equipments but really i have never got a good feedback about the crdi engine of hyundai...i have read complaints and even practically expierienced that the crdi is not all the best diesel...the fiat multijet is the best diesel..i want to find its complaint but what the hell there are no complaints about it....nd basically no car can be as fuel efficient as the japanese cars !!!!

I think one more member complained about the suspension and said the tyre wear off fast (25k) and the headlamp problem is due to under watted bulb and also the rear view ain't good .I think even the accent crdi is better and given the NCAP rating of 3 star it ain't that safe (I thinks its 2 star).

average for a petrol verna shud be around 9 kmpl and the headlamps in my accents are also very dim and the vivva is missalligned. try installing a higher powered bulb. but be sure u do it at authorised hyundai service staion with prefrebly a original hyundai accessory only as these things ....god forbid cud cause electrical damage in ur car which cud give rise to a fire an consequently void ur warranty and insurance. take care.