nishweth

used skoda rs

But we are yet to see such problems in India.

?

FRG

Are you sure? How many high mileage Skodas have you come across? Most of them are diesels which is slightly more durable than the turbo used in RS, the few high mileage turbos I see here and in Delhi are smoking and drinking oil. Even the Skoda mechanics admit to that. Dont think VW would use special materials for us Indians and give us better RS engine than their prime customers US of A.Gurkha2007-09-20 08:50:59

Not many octavias petrols do high mileage, but im sure there must be some. But something like this would have come to our notice by now.

Could you find out more on which oil they were using and if they were being serviced regularly.

FRG

All the vehicles listed in the forum there have been regularly serviced by VW and they used their super expensive synthetic oil, thats another joke, why would a vehicle need specialized oil is beyond my comprehension, they are owned by enthusiasts with knowledge about cars, its not surprising as VW is also facing lawsuits and VWs overall rating at CR is quite low.

The grievances posted there are genuine and backed up by documents in most cases, point is even if you do find a rare high mileage Skoda RS, the ego of the owner here in India would not let you get the right picture. He or she would never admit to having bought a lemon. As a ex VW Golf GTi16v owner, I know quite well the quality issues with the VW group, I was lucky and won the case against them where in six months time VW bought out the car from me and refunded me the amount I had paid during purchase.
FuelRunGod2007-09-20 12:47:08

i dont think the used Octavia RS (PEtrol) has a very good resale value because of demand for diesel OCtis and Low milaeage in RS. soo a used 2003 Octavia RS could be aproxiamtly costing around  5.5 - 7 Lakhs depending on the Vehicle.HApy motoring .

also remember that a lot of RSs have spent a lot of?time at the redline...

Indeed but cant be more than what an average Honda or Toyota spends its time, small high revving engines from both have bullet proof rep and manage to last long as compared to others.

The durability of the Skoda should be Ok. Remember the picture of a taxi in Israel with 652,000km on the clock in August AutoCar. One can expect the petrol engine to be less stressed than the diesel.

Hi All,

I do not feel bad for myself but I do feel bad for Jeremy because he is the one having a mid-life crisis. Yes, he understands cars more than me but do you really think skodas are crappy? In Europe for the last two years and in India this year (JD POWER) Skoda has been ranked as number one in surveys above any name you can think of. I stay in Delhi where there are large number of skodas and I am yet to come across a smoking one. They are solidly built and I trust my children in this car the most. I own a 2004 january petrol skoda (built in germany and not in India since the plant was not ready yet) - yes, that is not a typo - a petrol 2 litre red octy (no style I guess) and am the happiest with this car till today. I know it drinks a lot and I knew it before I bought it but am so happy. I bought the petrol octy because those days it was the only car or variant that came with ABS and front airbags and driving pleasure was ultimate this side of bmws (which I could not afford then). Yes, the legroom at the back is sad and once my hazard light switch stopped working (after 2 years) but skoda changed it in minutes and refused to take money for it. It is time now I sell it because my driver drives it and I hate to give it to my driver but whenever I sit down with my wife and discuss selling it we decide against it.    

But no matter how many times were told differently' date=' Skoda is still the crappiest badge that money can buy. Telling people you have one marks you out as someone with no style at all.

Jeremy Clarkson.........[/quote']

Yes in its pre-VW days it was lousy. The cars (if I remember correctly) were smelly 2-stroke rear engined smoke belching monstrosities.

Now things have / and are changing. Effectively, Skoda is the low end of the VW stable, and does not have any quality issues. As for the image, only time will change the perception.

VWs high end has quality issues and is rated quite low in CR, their Touareg is a technical disaster with units giving hell to customers and with many impending lawsuits, so how can a lowly VW be better in quality? Doesnt sound right.

About Skoda, its a Czech brand and although not up to terms with German brands in past, it had its own respect and following just like the quirky Citroen from France, it was never 2 stroke, that was the pre WW-II German DKW ( Das Kleine Wunder ) which was 2 stroke that after the partition of Germany was continued albeit with plastic body and named Trabbant and lovingly called Trabbi, its still sold for nostalgia and there are many club events held in Germany with Trabants.

yes Skoda is of Czech Republic.and soo far its the very best Diesel Car in Premium segment but people are not hapy with its Maintenance costs and also spare parts cost. soo if u can manage all this then goo  ahead . Hapy Motoring.

if you can find a rs which has done less than 20000 k and you love driving this is the car for you - maintenance will be high if you are into redlining but go for it. In India this will be loads of style (yellow??) or else if you want to play safe but still want to have fun while driving then the only other car that would give you a kick - a brand new SX4. (almost same price as a second hand RS hence my advice)

Hi All' date='

I do not feel bad for myself but I do feel bad for Jeremy because he is the one having a mid-life crisis. Yes, he understands cars more than me but do you really think skodas are crappy? In Europe for the last two years and in India this year (JD POWER) Skoda has been ranked as number one in surveys above any name you can think of. I stay in Delhi where there are large number of skodas and I am yet to come across a smoking one. They are solidly built and I trust my children in this car the most. I own a 2004 january petrol skoda (built in germany and not in India since the plant was not ready yet) - yes, that is

not a typo - a petrol 2 litre red octy (no style I guess) and am the happiest with this car till today. I know it drinks a lot and I knew it before I bought it but am so happy. I bought the petrol octy because those days it was the only car or variant that came with ABS and front airbags and driving pleasure was ultimate this side of bmws (which I could not afford then). Yes, the legroom at the back is sad and once my hazard light switch stopped working (after 2 years) but skoda changed it in minutes and refused to take money for it. It is time now I sell it because my driver drives it and I hate to give it to my driver but whenever I sit down with my wife and discuss selling it we decide against it.    [/quote']

Show me one VW or Skoda in Consumer Reports top ten and I will yield that Jeremy is having a mid life crisis, till then, unscientific observations like my cousins car doesnt smoke wont do I am afraid. JD Power is marketing survey, not based on anything else, most egotists here who spend their pretty penny buying an expensive car will never admit to having been *******ed, and remember, unlike Jeremy Clarkson, the average buyer here is just progressing from Maruti and Ambassador.

No matter what, the level of Clarksons knowledge or his honest frank opinions will be rarely equalled by other other journalists except for maybe good old Don Sherman of C&D.

Guess you didnt go through http://www.myvwlemon.com/ forum where you can see countless complaints on the powertrain used in Skoda, or to you they are all going through mid life crisis. smiley36.gif

Btw, Skodas last time I checked are built in Czech republic, and they were never build in Germany. safety is in car design to an extent, there is also quite a lot of marketing hype in it, the sheet metal used in MB, Honda, Toyota or Skoda more or less shares the same width and even if you go by that, the NHTSA which is the ultimate authority rating car safety scores Honda Accord better over a Passat which is a Skoda in different trim.Gurkha2007-09-23 08:51:22

I think nobody questions that Skoda is Czech. The point is that now they are part of the VW stable, and the past monstrosities are history. Do we still regard Maruti-Suzuki as what Sanjay Gandhi engineered?

The basic platform as well as drive trains etc. are from VW. In India Skoda has built up an enviable reputation, which apparently;y slowed down VWs entry.

I think nobody questions that Skoda is Czech. The point is that now they are part of the VW stable' date=' and the past monstrosities are history. Do we still regard Maruti-Suzuki as what Sanjay Gandhi engineered?The basic platform as well as drive trains etc. are from VW. In India Skoda has built up an enviable reputation, which apparently;y slowed down VWs entry.

[/quote']

We are referring to the Skoda after VW take over, not the past, the past one was rarely to be seen out of Czech except for few cars here and there. Its VW quality thats in question, Skoda is but just a platform for VW currently.