Durango Dude

Latest ACI gripes....

Basically, I don't have a problem of ACI becoming the official pall bearer for the 'Teuton' brigade. But having 3 articles on the prohibitively priced essentially C segment car: Jetta, just beats me. It has a harsh ride and unrefined engine and grey tomb like interiors; soo what can the Germans be wrong, of course, no. What's wrong is our roads and the potholes. Believe me there's no way one can feel good, feeling every single bump the road throws up, after coughing up a king's ransom. So what if the Sonata CRDI is spacious, refined and handles our roads better, with an all cosetting ride and priced around one lakh less than these 'teutons' which are probably half it's size and have around 40 bhp and 20kgm torque less, aww those awful Koreans: make the cars that really work well on Indian roads. Next what ACI will do is pit the Fabia sport as and when it hits Indian shores and have the Sonata  in the comparo and your guess is as good as mine who will win. smiley21.gif

i have another problem with ACI... is that their focus on bikes has decreased a lot.. the new bike buying section is hopeless... only 2 pages without any stats like milage, 0-60 timings etc.

& they dont review all the new bikes like yamaha galdiator ss & rs didnt even get a proper road test.

The coverage on cars and bikes should be vis a vis their sales figures and popularity so as to benefit the maximum readers. Yes ssk the gr8 the two wheeler coverage needs to be made more prominent. The 2 wheeler buyers guide is also not as well researched as the 4 wheeler buyers guide.

We also need a vintage and Classic car section- at least a few pages every month.

Basically' date=' I don't have a problem of ACI becoming the official pall bearer for the 'Teuton' brigade. But having 3 articles on the prohibitively priced essentially C segment car: Jetta, just beats me. It has a harsh ride and unrefined engine and grey tomb like interiors; soo what can the Germans be wrong, of course, no. What's wrong is our roads and the potholes. Believe me there's no way one can feel good, feeling every single bump the road throws up, after coughing up a king's ransom. So what if the Sonata CRDI is spacious, refined and handles our roads better, with an all cosetting ride and priced around one lakh less than these 'teutons' which are probably half it's size and have around 40 bhp and 20kgm torque less, aww those awful Koreans: make the cars that really work well on Indian roads. Next what ACI will do is pit the Fabia sport as and when it hits Indian shores and have the Sonata  in the comparo and your guess is as good as mine who will win. smiley21.gif[/quote']

Test drove the Jetta. It's a brilliant car. ride is harsh but only at low speeds otherwise it is brilliant. The Sonata is a piece of rubbish but still you find 40-50 ***** (thankfully a small number that keep buying it). It feels like its made from cheap recycled plastic. In the last comparo tin ACI he Swift beat the Fabia whilst the other mags gave Fabia the win. so much for being a part of the teuton brigade.

i have another problem with ACI... is that their focus on bikes has decreased a lot.. the new bike buying section is hopeless... only 2 pages without any stats like milage' date=' 0-60 timings etc.[/quote']

Yes I agree with ssk_the_gr8.

ACI should provide the features and all the required stats of the bikes in the bikes section like they provide in case of cars.

How can one know about a particular bike before buying if the road test report is published 6-8 months ago and a reader wants to buy the bike now (after 6-8 months) since the manufacturers come out with new technology every 5-6 months.

ALSO I HAVE SEEN A BIKE POSTER IN FRONT OF A "HONDA" SHOWROOM. I HAVEN'T SEEN PROPERLY , BUT ACI DIDN'T WRITE ANYTHING ABOUT IT IN JULY ISSUE. I HAVE SEEN THAT POSTER AROUND 3-4 DAYS AGO.

So how's that ACI is fast magazinesmiley3.gifsmiley3.gif

Lots of things needs changes in ACI. The New Buyers Guide has become something of a joke with wrong specs, outdated prices and comments on most models. The quoted prices should also be only Ex. Showroom prices to reduce confusion. All data should be updated regularly. The safety ratings should be published regularly.

The monthly sales figures are published only for Top 10 models, which means only entry level cars. Indian market has now matured enough and even upper D segment cars are showing healthy sales. So sales figures should be shown for at least top 30 models, and 1 full page should be devoted to Monthly sales performance section, as it helps a buyer to know how various models have been faring in the market.

I dont see any relevance of their column 'WAYBACKWHEN'. This should be dropped.  

ACI is perfectly fine, Jetta deserved the share it got, sonata is all crap. German engineering is sure an ace up than koreans. Its an all together different matter that niether Jetta nor Sonata were designed keeping the Indian conditions in mind, so niether are completely adept to Indian standards.

ACI, should segregate bike & car section & have 2 diff. mags. each catering to cars & bikes. CAR enthusiasts are generally interested in cars only & viceversa with some overlapping, so there is no need to spruce up the bike section. Also the editor of ACI has intrest in oly cars I suppose, so going in for an altogether new bike mag. with new ed. makes sence, apart from being a 1st. of its kind. Suggestive name- AUTOBIKE.

ACI is perfectly fine' date=' Jetta deserved the share it got, sonata is all crap. German engineering is sure an ace up than koreans. Its an all together different matter that niether Jetta nor Sonata were designed keeping the Indian conditions in mind, so niether are completely adept to Indian standards.
ACI, should segregate bike & car section & have 2 diff. mags. each catering to cars & bikes. CAR enthusiasts are generally interested in cars only & viceversa with some overlapping, so there is no need to spruce up the bike section. Also the editor of ACI has intrest in oly cars I suppose, so going in for an altogether new bike mag. with new ed. makes sence, apart from being a 1st. of its kind. Suggestive name- AUTOBIKE.

[/quote']

All is not perfectly fine with ACI. The latest mag has given soo much of space to crystal ball gazing into Maruti's future lineup and rest is shared by Jetta: 3 articles and one on the 5 series and 7 series. And the i10 gets just one page. How many guys do you really think will be buying these cars. The bulk of the interest must have been on the i10/Kappa. The mag is giving too much space to German cars and speculatory articles, which can be handled in a few pagesIt has become a wholesale advertorial for cars from Germany.

I am getting an impression as if you want to see coverage on hyundai only !

Hyundai does make good cars, but thats about it , some others make better.

Maybe hyundai is utterly secretive about its plans for any mag. to be writing about it.

I do agree with you that focus should be more on cheaper cars rather than ones which cost hell. But as you mentioned Maruti, arent their cars affordable? SO, more on Maruti is welcome.

Lots of things needs changes in ACI. The New Buyers Guide has become something of a joke with wrong specs' date=' outdated prices and comments on most models. The quoted prices should also be only Ex. Showroom prices to reduce confusion. All data should be updated regularly. The safety ratings should be published regularly.

The monthly sales figures are published only for Top 10 models, which means only entry level cars. Indian market has now matured enough and even upper D segment cars are showing healthy sales. So sales figures should be shown for at least top 30 models, and 1 full page should be devoted to Monthly sales performance section, as it helps a buyer to know how various models have been faring in the market.

I dont see any relevance of their column 'WAYBACKWHEN'. This should be dropped.  

[/quote'] Its not that why is there even a NCAP section and I pointed out the mistake of Vtec and Vtec+ which showed both had ABS and airbags and still no improvement smiley7.gif.

THEY are in love with skoda I guess and I agree to some extent of it saying brilliant build quality but it ends there only .The Fabia diesel can be said has just wee that much refinement in the clatter than our Indica doessmiley36.gifsmiley4.gif

'Its not that why is there even a NCAP section and I pointed out the mistake of Vtec and Vtec+ which showed both had ABS and airbags and still no improvement smiley7.gif'

I pointed out that you write nonsensical rubbish a long time back and there is no sign of improvement there!

also to compare vw to hyundai is silly, hyundai has decades of catching up to do

smiley1.gifThere is also another mistake i woul like to point out is that in the Sales Chart(of this issue)...the car on tenth no. i cant understand which one it is ....THE PIC IS OF HONDA CITY AND there is written TATA INDIGO....can anybody tell me which one it is???????????........ACI whats happeningsmiley7.gif

never split the bike and car into 2 diff mags mate!!!!i dont want to shell out another 70bucks for a bike book...instead they can make it the best all rounder...and i feel the buyers section has to be updated...

interesting that the last edition of What Car? has a reader team that unanimously said the Passat was way overpriced - so you can't really accuse ACI of a bias here. as for their reviews on bikes, it's called AutoCAR right :)? the bit on bikes is just a bonus, and if you want to read more there are dedicated bike magazines on the stands. wht I will say tho is that there is always room for improvement. I think ACI has a responsibility to its readers to take up 3 main issues - safety, and safe driving; the abysmal condition of roads and infrastructure and, lastly, the ridiculous pricing strategy of manufacturers who sell us inferior engines and tech at inflated prices. would be good to see a wee bit more criticism from the magazine, and not just the readers.

unfortunately, this criticism applies to almost every major manufacturer but yes, Skoda for sure (the Fabia and the woefully underpowered and overpriced Laura) and - no surprise here - its parent company Volkswagen (both the Passat and the Jetta - take a look at the real price of the Jetta with more features in the US http://www.vw.com/jetta/en/us/

- yours for the price of an SX4 here) , Maruti (who sell us the medieval Esteem engine as the Swift, and I don't believe they do this anywhere else in the world), and the list goes on, and on...

unfortunately' date=' this criticism applies to almost every major manufacturer but yes, Skoda for sure (the Fabia and the woefully underpowered and overpriced Laura) and - no surprise here - its parent company Volkswagen (both the Passat and the Jetta - take a look at the real price of the Jetta with more features in the US http://www.vw.com/jetta/en/us/

- yours for the price of an SX4 here) , Maruti (who sell us the medieval Esteem engine as the Swift, and I don't believe they do this anywhere else in the world), and the list goes on, and on...[/quote']

This is ridiculous mate. Jetta in US comes with 170BHP at17000$. thats Rs 6,80,000. Here at 12 Lakhs (double the US price, we get a mere 100 bhp).I think SKODA and VW should be kicked out of the country. Let me check abuot the SWIFT in other countries.

I feel that the buyers guide is not regurarly updated especially when a new variant of a car is launched..and the new buyer's guide for bikes should be more exhaustive and should include fuel efficiency and details about the performance of the bike

i agree with anveshp that the jetta is too overpriced in india and surprisingly autocar in its latest edition says that its a fantastic buy at 13-16 lakhs

Why doesnt ACI take it up and start capmpaign about over priced cars ?

I tend to see that these guys when they hear GERMAN, they write all kindsa ridiculous conclusions

unfortunately' date=' this criticism applies to almost every major manufacturer but yes, Skoda for sure (the Fabia and the woefully underpowered and overpriced Laura) and - no surprise here - its parent company Volkswagen (both the Passat and the Jetta - take a look at the real price of the Jetta with more features in the US http://www.vw.com/jetta/en/us/

- yours for the price of an SX4 here) , Maruti (who sell us the medieval Esteem engine as the Swift, and I don't believe they do this anywhere else in the world), and the list goes on, and on...[/quote']

This is ridiculous mate. Jetta in US comes with 170BHP at17000$. thats Rs 6,80,000. Here at 12 Lakhs (double the US price, we get a mere 100 bhp).I think SKODA and VW should be kicked out of the country. Let me check abuot the SWIFT in other countries.

Hey Diablo,

Checked the SWIFT in UK site. It costs 8000 pounds, which is approximately Rs 6,40,000. Indian price is also on the similar lines. I think Maruti is not bluffing us here. Also the engine output for 1.3 Petrol (UK)is 92 BHp, ours is 87 Bhp,not much difference.

Maybe they feel that people here cannot handle the extra power' date=' and looking at the way most people drive I feel they maybe right[/quote']

Come on man. If you have extra power you cannot handle ? you got be kidding.

Even if it so, then they should price the car lesser.