Durango Dude

Latest ACI gripes....

@diablo the 6.8lakhs one is the base model which doesn't even have alloys.

The base commparable here costs 8 lakhs which is still 4 lakhs cheaper but it also has good TDi engine and double barreled projector headlamps.

UK Swift may have more power due to better fuel quality in U.K.

Fabia's petrol engines suffer in India, as SKODA has not bothered to modify the engines for the terrible fuel quality of India.

Skoda's attitude towards Indian customer is that we should be grateful for having the honour of being offered their wonderfully low powered and high priced car. (But they do have solid build as compared to Japanese and Korean cars). VW being Skoda's principal company will be even more snobbish.

the magazine name is autocar india and hence their focus is more on cars....if u want a amag concentrating more on bikes then buy of some other publication....but what i feel is that aci's car comparisons are totally nuetral.....in d review between swift and fabia...they never said fabia is the best....they said that paying a premium of well over a lakh over swift is not worth it so swift wins but if u want a car with better features than buy d fabia !!! the ride quality of german cars like jetta,laura,passat,octavia,fabia is just phenomenal and no other car manufacturer can beat them in the ride quality department !!!!

the magazine name is autocar india and hence their focus is more on cars....if u want a amag concentrating more on bikes then buy of some other publication....but what i feel is that aci's car comparisons are totally nuetral.....in d review between swift and fabia...they never said fabia is the best....they said that paying a premium of well over a lakh over swift is not worth it so swift wins but if u want a car with better features than buy d fabia !!! the ride quality of german cars like jetta' date='laura,passat,octavia,fabia is just phenomenal and no other car manufacturer can beat them in the ride quality department !!!!

[/quote']

Just curious, why are all magazines comparing the Swift 1.3P with the Fabia 1.2P? Why not with the Fabia 1.4 which on paper has comparable power and torque figures? Is it the price band? Then I wouldn't say the comparison makes sense.

the ride quality of german cars like jetta' date='laura,passat,octavia,fabia is just phenomenal and no other car manufacturer can beat them in the ride quality department !!!! [/quote']

Mate, ride quality doesnt double the prices in INDIA. refer to to my previous post for the price comparison of JETTA (INDIA) and JETTA(US). Also the power comparision.

but the reason why the cars are overpriced are cuz of their imports....swift fully made locally...while jetta is partially imported and heavy taxes are leavied

is the duty applied is 100% ( i mean does it double the price)? If so i would buy a JETTA US and get it imported to INDIA. What do you say ?

Just curious' date=' why are all magazines comparing the Swift 1.3P with the Fabia 1.2P? Why not with the Fabia 1.4 which on paper has comparable power and torque figures? Is it the price band? Then I wouldn't say the comparison makes sense.
[/quote']

Its becoz SKODA is ridiculous in giving a 6 lakh car a meagre 1.2LT 68bhp engine. In India cars are compared completely based on price. I also think the B+, B, C segments are created based on prices only, but i am not sure, plx correct me if i am wrong.

but the reason why the cars are overpriced are cuz of their imports....swift fully made locally...while jetta is partially imported and heavy taxes are leavied

true, but at this price the jetta qualifies for CBU territory (a full import at 120% duty). let's do the math. global retail prices less local taxes (VAT etc.) + Indian import taxes for a CKD (as the jetta is supposedly) mean that the car is still being priced a good 4 lacs above the normal profit Volkswagen earns - in my opinion. of course, we'll never know how right I am because Volkswagen aren't going to open their books to any of us, are they?

[

This is ridiculous mate. Jetta in US comes with 170BHP at17000$. thats Rs 6,80,000. Here at 12 Lakhs (double the US price, we get a mere 100 bhp).I think SKODA and VW should be kicked out of the country. Let me check abuot the SWIFT in other countries.

Hey Diablo,

Checked the SWIFT in UK site. It costs 8000 pounds, which is approximately Rs 6,40,000. Indian price is also on the similar lines. I think Maruti is not bluffing us here. Also the engine output for 1.3 Petrol (UK)is 92 BHp, ours is 87 Bhp,not much difference.

anveshp - it's really heartening to see that there are customers like you out there. thank you for re-affirming my faith in the discerning Indian customer, and I can only hope that more like you will force manufacturers to play fair. amen.

about the Swift - I think you'll find that we are at the short end of the stick, nonetheless. The 1.3 engine sold in the UK model (BHP notwithstanding) is a newer, more economical, cleaner and more refined engine, and not the primitive Esteem plant. so the UK gets a brand new engine for the same price that the colonies get the old one? hardly fair, is it.

there's more - is the Swift manufactured in the UK? I think not - and it is here, so it should be a LOT cheaper. and even if it is manufactured in the UK, labour costs are at least 40% cheaper in India, so why are we happy when we get the car at UK pricing? we aren't paying our workers in pounds. so why are we paying pound prices??

Why doesnt ACI take it up and start capmpaign about over priced cars ?

probably because if they did, they'd have to go to war with everybody and would be denied all manufacturer scoops, trials and what have you smiley5.gif

Why doesnt ACI take it up and start capmpaign about over priced cars ?

probably because if they did' date=' they'd have to go to war with everybody and would be denied all manufacturer scoops, trials and what have you smiley5.gif
[/quote']

Coz ACI is taken to fancy locations to drive their overpriced cars; so that they write rave reviews and 'vlasti<fat cats>' here will lap it up. Falling for the 'tank like build' and 'runs as if on rails' lines over and over again. And the editor can run away to Mahabaleshwar over and over again in his 325i. Hormazd, Shapur and even Ouseph have been running away to fancy locations to drive fancy cars, probably they can let us into what else they did during their jaunts to Western Europe. So what if the cars will come only with 1/4 th the power and specifications of their European kin.

Coz ACI is taken to fancy locations to drive their overpriced cars; so that they write rave reviews and 'vlasti<fat cats>' here will lap it up. Falling for the 'tank like build' and 'runs as if on rails' lines over and over again. And the editor can run away to Mahabaleshwar over and over again in his 325i. Hormazd, Shapur and even Ouseph have been running away to fancy locations to drive fancy cars, probably they can let us into what else they did during their jaunts to Western Europe. So what if the cars will come only with 1/4 th the power and specifications of their European kin.

durango dude - trust me, I feel your pain, and I am really glad to see more people on this forum thinking more critically of the rubbish manufacturers flog us. and I don't doubt the pressure from manufacturers on ACI and other mags. I also completely agree, as a reader and a loyal reader at that, with what you say - these magazines must give us a clearer picture, must be more critical of these manufacturers. that notwithstanding, I think the team at ACI aren't quite so pliable though, I think Hormazd and the gang are doing a good job, and do bring a level of autonomy to their work - but yes, there's always room to be better...

I also think we're forgetting the true culprit in all of this - the Indian government, with their ridiculously high taxes, poor infrastructure, opaque customs duties, false promises (read yesterdays Times - Hyundai have yet to have the railroad the TN govt. promised them built, and it's been 10 years) and absolutely moronic laws on engine capacity - which could be forgiven since the world has the tech to provide 170 BHP from a mere 1.4 litre engine (as the TSI Volkswagen engine has proved) - but then again, where's the unadulterated fuel required in this corrupt land?
diablo379892008-07-22 04:20:59

Well its not upto the manufacture too its due to te govt. why not we start the campagin against the govt.

What do you mean by due to govt ?
Well I have mentioned this many times earlier but here we go again and this time brief

The govt. thinks that to cut pollution only way is to not let people buy cars and let them use the already overcrowded state run buses smiley19.gif . They tax the imports by 120% thus restricting their own process of Globalisation smiley4.gif.

They have no effiency rating and tax cars on the size of engine and lenght ,which otherwise should have been done on the bases of CO2 emission levels smiley7.gif. So its a mega trap kind of thing for consumers firstly the govt. put on us heavy taxes then the automanufactures say that due to high tax we cannot reduce the price and they also make good share of profits by giving poor quality stuff here and why wouldn't they ,because they know the consumer courts here are already having delayed response .So what I am saying is that protest govt to tax on the bases of emissions and then in a chain reaction a cleaner engine will be seen and the manufactors cannot hide much longerssmiley1.gifsmiley10.gif

hey anvesh its wrong to compare d pricing of jetta in us to d pricing of india...i want u 2 answer a basic question...y is the dollar valued higher than the rupee ??? this is bcoz the us economy is stronger than indian economy......so stop this pricing mess thread....even car manufacturer's cant do anything cause india's taxes are a bit on higher side and remember india is turning into a capitalist economy and the governement intervention was their when padmini used to be sold in india...and every car manufacturer has the right to price their product as they like it !!!

Indeed, all Auto magazine representatives  are invited  by manufacturers for a sneak peek into their product-lines. If AC I were to refrain from responding to these invites the readers would suffer. There's no doubt that all invitations must be honoured by the Editor of AC I, so that in the present scenario we get a review of all the makes, models and variants available.

Its only the reporting part where I can comment and do personally feel that the cars and bikes that sell more must be more prominently displayed for the benefit of a large cross section of readers.

I think this forum is de-generating into an ACI bashing topic. Lets get a few things straight;

ALL car launches can only be attended by invitation. Journos like Jeremy Clarkson or even the reputed George Kacher are wined, dined and taken to good locations to drive the car. This is the only way a car company can practically give the first drive to the world press.

German cars are expensive period. You pay for the quality. I would rather buy a 15 lakh Jetta than a crappy Sonata for 13 lakh? Does anyone disagree with me? So instead of telling that ACI is biased to German cars, can it have occured to people that the German cars are actually better than the others!!

The main problem is that if somone's opinion doesnt agree with ACI then ACI is bad and biased!

FRG and Hormazd do not get involved in this low intelligence thread. It is below your stature.

yeah aci's business is dependent on these trips not d car manufacturer's !! i think this thread has been poached by skoda haters(joking)...i think some people in this thread suggest dat aci has been bribed by skoda to love their cars !!!

hey anvesh its wrong to compare d pricing of jetta in us to d pricing of india...i want u 2 answer a basic question...y is the dollar valued higher than the rupee ??? this is bcoz the us economy is stronger than indian economy......so stop this pricing mess thread....even car manufacturer's cant do anything cause india's taxes are a bit on higher side and remember india is turning into a capitalist economy and the governement intervention was their when padmini used to be sold in india...and every car manufacturer has the right to price their product as they like it !!!

''wrong to compare''? says who? ''the US economy is stronger than the Indian economy'' - and so? they get cars cheaper than us? that makes sense to you?

no-one is denying manufacturers the right to price their products as they wish. we have a similar right to criticise that pricing and abstain from buying their products - a right that's being exercised here. and what's this about government intervention? you think with 120% tariff wall it doesn't exist even now? I think you've just proved why manufacturers do price their cars at these obscene prices - and get away with it.

@ diablo. I think we have gone through this pricing mess in previous threads as well.

requsting everyone to stick to the topic... ACI gripes.

I appologise for going off the topic. Could you tell me the name of the previous thread where this pricing was discussed, so that i can go thru it and gain some info ?