sudeepd

What are the effects of ethanol on automobiles?

Hi,

What are the advantages and disadvantages of adding ethanol to petrol in Automobiles?

Can ethanol be used in diesel engines as well?

I had read in Daily Sakal newspaper around 4-5 years ago that two young guys from Pune mixed ethanol in petrol in ratio of 85 % Ethanol and 15 % Petrol and ran a Hero Honda CD 100 (or SS I dont remember exactly) successfully.

So whats the maximum amount of Ethanol that can be mixed in Petrol without any problem.

Also recently I read that Mr.VijaySinh Mohite Patil will request Government to allow them to mix Ethanol in Petrol in ratio of 1 litre Ethanol in 5 litres of Petrol.

So please put light on my doubts.

Hi sudeep you seem to be much interested in mixing petrol with something.smiley2.gif I remember ur earlier topic mixing water in petrol. Hope u have now stopped that and switched to ethanol.Hope ur Pulsar is running fine even now. This is a good topic and I appreciate your spirit for finding an alternate fuel. Cheers buddy...

Question 1=> Can Ethanol be mixed in Diesel as well?

Question 2=> What is the maximum amount of Ethanol that can be safely mixed in Petrol (And also in Diesel if the answer to Question 1 is Yes)?

If the car runs on Ethanol its ok. Only the driver must not run on ethanol!!smiley36.gif

But which car (Petrol-Engined and/or Diesel Engine) if run on Ethanol is OK.

And what is the maximum (and also the safe) proportion of mixing Ethanol in Petrol and Diesel, respectively?

Well ethanol is well suited to petrol and we can add 10% ethanol safely and the extreme end is 100% but in many countries now E85 is popular but here the engine requires modification which you can surf on the net.

major effect of ethonol is on the fuel lines, filters and other stuff like that. it is more corrosive and hence there are changes implemented by manufacturer to avoid corrosion due to ethanol. I read this in some article don't remember where. will search and post it.

The effect fo Ethanol was discussed on a couple of othe topics in some detail. In short Ethanol increases Octane, and has a lower energy content leading to a marginally higher fuel consumption.

major effect of ethonol is on the fuel lines' date=' filters and other stuff like that. it is more corrosive and hence there are changes implemented by manufacturer to avoid corrosion due to ethanol. I read this in some article don't remember where. will search and post it.[/quote']

Read the article which has the following url posted by user jimgeo.

In the article it is mentioned the below points.

1. Cleans engine over time, especially harmful combustion chamber deposits.

2. Improved front end volatility for better cold start and improved operation (driveability and distillation curve effects).

3. Dissolves any fuel line and fuel tank water, which are sources of corrosion, and eliminates them out the exhaust.

4. The higher octane of the ethanol blend allows the new cars with higher compression ratio to run without changing refinery operations.