325i

One lakh car

What will be the actual price of the base version oTata's 1 -lakh car  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the actual price of the base version oTata's 1 -lakh car

Theres lots of speculation surrounding the price of Tatas 1-lakh car. The company itself is tight lipped about the final price. What we do know is that the excise duty has gone down since the project was announced but so have raw material costs. So what will the price be?

if tata manage that it wont just be a new car, it will be a new class of car !

the really big question, if the car come out all right, is why didt maruti think of

a new 800 ? Complacency ? yes, just like premier and co

what do you think ?

Maruti relies on Suzuki to develop cars. suzukis costs are too high and they dont have the low-cost expertise of Tata. dont forget that the 800 is cheap today because it was born 23 years ago when costs were a fraction of what they are today. Maruti simply cant make another M800 at the same price point. the reality is that the Alto is the next 800 and it will be hard to make a car that is cheaper  - for Suzuki that is.

Well I heard a new that the project is delayed.Maybe we have to wait some time before we actually see it.

Expect Autocar India to bring it on before the actual launch.

FuelRunGod2007-08-18 00:35:25

first of all, maybe we need to clear the air. if memory serves me correctly, ratan tatas answer to a journalists question of the imminent tata "low cost car" when asked if it would cost as little as a lakh, was a wry smile and a "maybe..."

now, if one factors in the fact that a bajaj RE autorickshaw, which is a single cylinder, two stroke, petrol engined rolling death wish costs over a lakh, do you really think it conceivable that a new automobile could cost so little?

I am shivering at the thought of the traffic hazzard this will cause on our already dangerous highways, now with two wheelers driven irresponsibly, this will become an added menace.

How about  a Survey (poll) on TIMING of 1 lakh Micro car ?

Press reports range from "on-time, Jun08" to Q1 2009.

My vote is Jan09. Problems at Singur wont let it pass through any earlier.

Ratan Tata himself said that the car will be priced at 1.3 lakhs at current excise norms. But hes pushing the government for relaxing the duty as well softening the upcoming norms for this car. The car can just about get away if it can incorporate crumple zones. It wouldnt be adding too much, would it? Even the 800 has them..

As far the rickshaw-car comparisons are concerned, tata isnt doing its manufacturing similar to that of an auto. It is supposed to be using totally different manfacturing techniques and packaging for this car. Also, it has severely reduced component costs, what with Tata promising the dealers record sales and all. If Tata continue with their will to move forward, there is no doubt theyll have the car up and running in less than half a year..