Soumya_81

Confused between i10 Kappa and i10 irde

HI All,

I am planning to buy a new i10 car.This is my first car and the car knowledge I am having is very less.I am bit confused between i10 Kappa and i10 irde.Can anybody give me any pointers which to buy and why?My priorities are good mileage and good rselling value after 5 years.So,the point i want to know is the extra money I am going to pay for kappa will server me in long run?If possible please shoot me reply in my mail id soumyapattanayak2004@gmail.com

TIA

Soumya

Hi soumya , welcome to the forum...............see its quite simple i10 kappa is definately best option......i has better mileage than iRDE ........but the thing is whats your budget......bcoz kappa is more costly than iRDE......if u can spend for i10 kappa then surely its the best option go for it............smiley1.gif

Go for the New 1.2 Kappa engine ,. it offers better power of 80 BHP comapred to 66 of the IRDe engine , and that too wihtout any compromise in fuel Economy!hence go for the Magna 1.2.

Cheers!!!

Go for i10 Kappa. 5 yrs down the lane when you are gonna sell your vehicle, the updated engine will fetch you more resale value.

The buyer will say IRDE engine, thats history, dont you have the Kappa, they will make your engine the weak point and try to reduce the price. and you wont have any reply to them.

So Go for i10 Kappa

Dear Soumya,

As I understand the two variants, i10 IRDE engine (1.1 ltr) may be more economical for city drive (where maximum allowable speed is 50-55 kms) and with good controls as it developes max torque at lower engine rpm whereas kappa engine (1.2 ltrs) may be a better choice if you do higher speed / highway drive more often. Fuel economy for kappa engine on road is not yet known but I would expect it to be somewhat less than 1.1 engine for city drive. Of course, Kappa would be more peppy anytime.

As far as the resale is considered, I would presume that both variant will have their own market. The less powerful old style zen is still selling second hand if kept in decent condition.

You should test drive both cars before taking a decision. Pay a little attention to compare the clutch stiffness of both engines while test driving. Presently some good discounts are available on the 1.1 ltr Magna and Era variant.

Best of luck with whichever variant you decide to buy. It would be good if you could keep us posted of youe experiences / fuel ecomy status.

Its been almost 5 months i have taken i10 era model...and now almost 4500k...so far no such bad experince...mileage s arnd 14-15 without ac in city...initially it was bit less i guess...regarding buying kappa model i heard that mileage s almost same over thr and offcourse more power...one problem era model might have ,it might be phased off slowly smiley19.gif...

i10 irde won't be phased out' date=' as the price difference is big.[/quote']

Normally I would have agreed. However, with Euro-IV coming in next year I am not sure that the Epsilon engine will be able to meet these requirements. Then Hyundai will have two options - market the Epsilon engined cars in only E-III towns or stop making the Epsilon engine. I suspect they will start with the former until the stocks run out and they are able to ramp up the production of the Kappa.

Kappa, is anyday a better choice to go for, even though higher priced but given more performance without reducing its FE, as well as what sgiitk said, 5 years down, with new norms around, kappa makes a better choice as also its resale value.

i10 irde won't be phased out' date=' as the price difference is big.[/quote']Normally I would have agreed. However, with Euro-IV coming in next year I am not sure that the Epsilon engine will be able to meet these requirements. Then Hyundai will have two options - market the Epsilon engined cars in only E-III towns or stop making the Epsilon engine. I suspect they will start with the former until the stocks run out and they are able to ramp up the production of the Kappa.

Sorry I thought 1.1iRDE engine is Euro-IV ready.

.... as well as what sgiitk said' date=' 5 years down, with new norms around.[/quote']
E-IV comes in in 2010 and not 2014, at least in the metros and mini-metros,

oops sorry yes 2010 is the time when new norms applicable as said by you, so i still say i10 1.2 kappa is a better choice.