sudeepd

Should Premium Diesel,Fuel Additives b used or not

Should Premium Diesel (Bharat Petroleum's Hi-Speed, Indian Oil Corporation's Extra Mile, Hindustan Petroleum's Turbojet) be used in Common Rail Engine or not?
Also Should Fuel Additives like Iftex System D or System D Extra be used in Common Rail Engine?

The Manager at Tata Authorised Service Station said "Fuel Additives should not be used in Common Rail Engine as the injectors could get blocked with the wrong proportion of Fuel Additives.If the injectors get blocked because of these fuel additives or Premium Diesels then the Warranty on fuel injectors will void".

He showed me a mail which Tata Motors had sent him. In that mail, it was written "We strongly recommend that Dont use Fuel Additives in our modern day Common Rail Diesel Engines as the fuel injectors could get blocked because of the thick fuel additives. And we also request our Service Station Representative to tell all our customers not to use Fuel Additives in Common Rail Engine".

Is it true that Fuel Additives or Premium Diesels block the injectors?

I had used System D many times (may be around 500-600 ml of System D in 500-600 litres of Diesel) in proportion of 1 ml System D in 1 litre of Diesel. But found no ill-effects while using it.

I am confused as Tata Motors itself has recommended not to use Fuel Additives in their Common Rail Engines.

Please post your views on this.

Its leaves black smoke alot . 

I think the black smoke is because the Fuel Additives clean the engine and/or the catalytic converter. I had seen an old caltalytic converter which got clogged with black carbon particles. When you apply more accelerator these clogged carbon particles get blown out of CC with pressure and we see these particles coming out of exhaust pipe in the form of black smoke.

Dealer does not possess much information or knowledge about the vehicles he sell in his Showroom. I had an experience with the Bajaj Dealer. I went and told him that the gearbox of my Pulsar 180 DTSi (with LCD Speedometer) makes noise of hammering  while downshifting to any gear. He said "I also have 180 but the one with round headlight (the first version). My Pulsar 180 had the gearbox of all down pattern and hence use to make noise while downshifting. But the modern 180 possesses 1 down 4 up pattern and hence it should not make noise while downshifting".

On hearing that the first version 180 had all down pattern, (on returning home) I killed myself with laughing on his childish answer.

Everyone knows since the 180 is launched it has 1 down 4 up pattern.

But my Doubt is still not cleared. How can a Car Company recommend not to use fuel additives in its own Common Rail Engine?

In the diesels it is known that engines with the Pete tuning box are not happy with premium fuel. I do not know whether someone has done an extended run to see whether it is just the muck being thrown out of the tailpipe or are there other issues and the smoke continues, I doubt whether premium will muck up the engine. Also, will someone educate me about the Cetane (equivalent to Octane in petrol)  ratings of regular and premium diesel fuels.

In petrols I have used premium ever since it became available in Kanpur (about 5 years ago). Before that I was adding System G to the petrol. I have no regrets on this account.

I have used Premium petrol in my Matiz, ever since it was introduced in India. I noticed an immediate improvement in engine performance. It became smoother, peppier and the milage might have also improved marginally. Earlier I had to get the injectors cleaned regularly, which is no longer the case.

Apart from the fuel additives, premium fuels are more or less free from adultration as oil companies deliver them in sealed tankers to pumps. Stringent quality checks are also conducted on the pumps to maintain the quality, and pumps with a dubious record are not supplied with premium fuel.

In India, Mercedes was the first company to introduce the Common rail diesel engines in their E class. Initially there were too many cases of injector clogging as customers used normal diesel. Then Merc specified to use only premium diesel in their diesel cars.

The additives are meant for cleaning deposits, so they cant clog the injectors. The biggest culprit is adultration. As premium fuels are free from adultration so customer gets double advantage of using clean fuel with added cleaning agents. The extra cost is more than justified in getting better power, milage and less wear tear of engine.

As Sudeepd wrote, most of the dealer personnel does not posses enough knowledge to advise on such matters.

The Manager at Tata Authorised Service Station said "Fuel Additives should not be used in Common Rail Engine as the injectors could get blocked with the wrong proportion of Fuel Additives.If the injectors get blocked because of these fuel additives or Premium Diesels then the Warranty on fuel injectors will void".

Note the word "WRONG PROPORTION"

Premium fuels have the perfect ratio of additives, so that is not the culprit. The problem may occur only with those who choose to add the additives manually.

But in my case when ever I have used Xtra premium petrol in my Santro (2003) I had face problems like engine stalling , I had to change fuel pump!! My local mechanic told not to use premium fuel, also I have asked the Huyndai dealer at Kolkata, they also told me not to use premium fuel. Any reason??? I haven't got any satisfactory reason!! Also where I live few pumps has normal petrol, most of them sale premium fuels only.

Adhip: It looks like that your Santro has accumulated carbon deposits in your fuel tank and engine, which while being flushed out by the permium petrol is choking the system. So get your fuel tank cleaned and your engine decarbonised from a good service centre.

SGIITK above has also writen that he has been using Premium petrol since last 5 years without any problem. He also owns a Santro.

The Cetane Ratings (equivalent to Octane in Petrol) of regular and premium diesel are 48 & 51 respectively as per the IOC site (see http://www.autocarindia.com/new/autocar_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2867&KW=Cetane&PID=52156#52156)

With a higher Cetane rating one can expect some gain in the performance as well as the consumption.

Apart from the fuel additives' date=' premium fuels are more or less free from adultration as oil companies deliver them in sealed tankers to pumps.

[/quote']

Theres no guarantee that only Premium Fuels are transported in Sealed Tanks.

All say that Fuels are transported in Sealed Tanks Only may it be Premium Fuels or Normal Fuels.

Stringent quality checks are also conducted on the pumps to maintain the quality' date=' and pumps with a dubious record are not supplied with premium fuel.

[/quote']

All these are just rumours. Nothing Else.

one of my friend,studying in a petroleum college told me all these companies take fuel from the same refineries so all the high performance petrol/diesel are almost same..

but ya they are off course better on performance..

better said by sgiitk higher on Cetane No,higher will be rate and better will be the performance.

karan_4n2008-12-26 14:52:09