Rohan20

Need urgent help in buying a new car.

Hi Experts,

I am also exactly facing the same dilemma as Rohan.

Currently owning santro & want to move to a car with boot.

budget is at max 8.1 Lakhs ( though if it is below 8 it is more than welcome)

My daily running should at max be 25 - 30 km which on upper side means not more than 900 km/month.

I suppose diesel will not be the right one for me, right?.  Wife does not like looks of dzire.

I am completely confused with the choices ( not in order of preference)

1) SX4  2) Verna  3) Fiesta 1.6s or SXI  4) dzire. 5) fiesta zxi 6) linea ( will it be in budget?)

I am concerned with fuel economy & feel that if I am spending good amount then should get features like air bags /abs etc. Comfort is also a good plus to have.

So what should I go for?  Should I opt for diesel?  Fiesta diesel exi  means shelling  8L for base model.

If it is a petrol ,  which car should it be? I have read the forums but am finding all sorts of reviews for & against a car.

Though from what I saw , sx4 zxi as compared to fiesta 1.6s , is nearly the same price but mileage & interior wise fiesta is better , so  why is fiesta1.6 s not a better car than sx4?  Is the spare of ford cars still expensive considering that its parts are now built indiegenously?

Thanx for you response in advance.

Hi Asif, good that you have read previous posts & topics & posted your query in an existing thread.

Your type of running  falls inbetween the  petrol-diesel  category,  I mean  its entirely upto with what you shall feel satisfied. But I shall still recommend a diesel if you are too concerned with Fuel efficiency.

I'll explain car wise :

SX4- nice overall package & one to go in for if you want a petrol car.

Verna- only diesel is good.

Fiesta1.6s- fantastic drivers car, but spares are on pricier side.

Fiesta 1.4 diesel- good choice for a diesel consumer.

Dzire- overall a success , diesel is fantastic. But as you said looks are an iffy.

Linea- will be clear after launch, as Fiat has to deal with a lot of issues.

So, in case of a petrol car, choose SX4 & for diesel, if looks is an issue with Dzire, choose Fiesta diesel.

Thanx for the response speed.

My Santro has clocked 30700 km in last 3 yrs & 9 months such that the avrg is 660 km/month.

My office distance recently increased by 2 km, I found that residence to office to & fro now takes approx 18 km.

So mostly it will be 18 km per day & on some days 25 km.

That would indicate petrol, I suppose.

So ur take is for SX4.

Any other opinions from regulars?

By the way I took a look at 1.6s & also test drove 1.4 exi diesel.

I also had another query.

Is the 1.6 ZXI model of fiesta  refurbished  like 1.6s ?

1.6zxi in pune is costing 7.57L on road.  How is 1.6 zxi model of fiesta?

Would it make sense to get 1.6zxi & get ABS with EBD fitted in it? First of all such modification is possible or not? In old post I read that it is so & that it will cost around 25000Rs.

Hey Asif

I will suggest that go for Indigo XL Classic Dicor. I know most of the members will not agree with me and say that its a chauffer driven car but I suggest to get more clarity check this link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/41730-indigo-xl-classic-dicor-3.html 

There are related links also available there but do check this option too because for petrol XL Classic starts at 5.46ex showroom Mumbai and Dicor will cost u around 7.25 on road.

All the Best

Cheers

Vroomo

So mostly it will be 18 km per day & on some days 25 km.

That would indicate petrol' date=' I suppose.

So ur take is for SX4.

Is the 1.6 ZXI model of fiesta  refurbished  like 1.6s ?

1.6zxi in pune is costing 7.57L on road.  How is 1.6 zxi model of fiesta?

Would it make sense to get 1.6zxi & get ABS with EBD fitted in it? First of all such modification is possible or not? In old post I read that it is so & that it will cost around 25000Rs. [/quote']

Hi Asif, with such mileage, petrol will be fine.

A new Fiesta has been launched with updated features, looks. All the models have these changes in accordance with the hierarchy. 1.6 Zxi is a loaded model , ABS is optional. ABS has to be ordered before in advance & comes fitted from company , at some extra cost. Later on fitting of ABS, does not make sense & Airbags cannot even be fitted afterwards.

About other options, what all are in your wishlist?

Yes wish list :-).

power steering

all four power windows

if elctriaclly operated side mirrors would be nice.

good mileage.

Abs is something which I am inclined for though I suppose am Ok without air bags.

good mileage

decent interiors .

plus usual goodies which can be expected.

Hi Vroomo,

I checked  indigo xl classic dicor.

It does not have abs or airbags but otherwise is having features as well as mileage .Compared to fiesta diesel exi it is quite less.

Glam quotient will not be there.

what are the major cons of this car?

hey asif dont bother looking at junk like indigo xl...u cant really trust a car from tata...i would suggest u to buy sx4 zxi and u will be shocked when u come to know d price of spare parts of ford.....buy d sx4 its cheaper than others and has all d features and equipments which u r looking for !!!

Though I would not critisize the Indigo in such a way, but in your case there are certainly better options.

So, most of the features are in your wish list, but I was asking for what other cars in list.

For a petrol car, if you wish to have best performance, look towards the Fiesta 1.6s, though spares prices are a concern.

Overall for comfort & features  SX4 is the one.

Do tell about other cars in your wish list & if budget can be stretched!

well with the features wish list already out , the cars which I had in mind ( not sure if budget could afford those cars , I know skoda etc are not within reach)

Apart from sx4 & fiesta,

Verna, lancer, honda city ( any point buying a model being phased out?).

I guess that will be all. 

My budget at max would be 8.25 L ( the fiesta 1.6s price).

Though I have asked dealer to bring it to 8 L.

Though I would be more confortable if I get a car with the features at around 7.5L.

That is why I thought of  fiesta zxi 1.6 with ABS/EBD fitted & music player would come to 7.8L  I think.

Verna' date=' lancer, honda city ( any point buying a model being phased out?).

My budget at max would be 8.25 L ( the fiesta 1.6s price).

.That is why I thought of  fiesta zxi 1.6 with ABS/EBD fitted & music player would come to 7.8L  I think.
[/quote']

Yes now the picture gets clearer. I would not suggest you to go in for present Honda City, but if you can wait till festive season & shell a bit more, you could end up with the going to be segment leader -new Honda City. This car would be priced a little over the previous one, that means base model could be around -7.5L. But if you are in a hurry & do not want to shell out more, then from the choice above, strike out the Lancer & Present City, Verna is a good car , but only diesel is worth buying & to simplify things , we have already ruled out Diesel. So, now we are left with :Fiesta & SX4.

If its Fiesta , then go in for 1.6s , but remember its an outright drivers car & ride quality may be stiff.

Well SX4, as already stated is a good package. How much is the fully loaded SX4 costing, with ABS & airbags?

Otherwise Fiesta ZXI, fully loaded is also a good choice.

This is getting confusing, you would have to go & test drive 3 of the cars & check them out thoroughly, then see which suits your needs the best.

But remember Fords spare parts prices are priced pretty high & this tends to pinch in the long run.

The current base model of Honda is 7.28  exshow room which on road is 8.05 L, so new honda city's base model I suppose will be 8.25 L. I hope they provide some extra features too.

A fully loaded Sx4 ( without leather seats) I think is costing around 7.98 L approx.

Otherwise Fiesta ZXI, fully loaded is also a good choice. Fiesta zxi by default does not contain  ABS , Airbags etc. It is costing 7.57 L on road. I have not yet inquired cost of fitting ABS. Also it by default does not contain music system.

I will check on net if some comparisons of the cost of spare parts of  sx4 &  fiesta is given.

Also , if old honda city offers a good discount , can that be considered a good bargain? What features NHC will offer as compared to old honda city ( atleast in terms of engine quality & mileage wise).

Appreciate you all taking time & replying to the queries.

Lets take exshowroom prices of cars you are interested in, only for now:

Honda City-7.30 L

SX4- fully loaded- 7.94L

Fiesta Zxi- loaded-7.5L + ABS ~20-25K= ~7.75L

New Honda City will be around 50k. more than current = ~7.75L  base model.

SX4's parts are certainly cheaper than Fiestas.

It is always good to go in for a newer car, or if you can live with the fact, that the new car you will buy will be outdated in no time, then its fine. I would never go in for a car which I know is going to have a model update. I ideally want to buy a car just 2-4 months after its launch, so that I can enjoy it for atleast 4 years, after which nowdays cars get an update. But people have their own tastes.

Usually Honda does not offer huge discounts, but if you do manage to get, its upto you, if you like the sweet deal. Anyway without huge discounts doesnt make sense.

New Honda City will be an entirely new car, it will offer more power, comfort, better looks, better interiors, maybe better fuel efficiency too. It will come only in VTEC engine, so maybe mileage wont be comparable to iDSI engine , but would be better than the present VTEC.

If you are not in a hurry, you should wait till the festive season & by then you could save more money & then have a look at the new car, most probably you would love the car.

About earlier pricing thing, City base does not offer a lot of features. And the diff. between Fiesta +ABS & SX4 fully loaded is around 25k. I think SX4 will offer peace of mind afterwards & you would not have to worry about service & spares.

Hi there! if you ask me to choose out of Ford Fiesta 1.6S and  Hyundai Verna, i vote for Ford. I drive Fiesta and it is the best car. the fuel economy is marvelous and give best comfort even in long drives. And now the Fiesta 1.6S (http://blog.carazoo.com/2008/06/ford-launches-sport-variant-of-fiesta.html) gives a more sporty look and will be fun to drive car. hope i have helped you with my little information.Good luck my friend!

I would suggest you wait for couple more months. By then the Fiat linea will also be out and you can evaluate that as well. Among the current crop that have been discussed, as a product i would vote for the Fiesta 1.6. It's put together well, offers decent amount of space, comfort and now offers safety equipments as well. Above all it's a hoot to drive smiley2.gif. However, service won't be all that good and spares will be costlier. octane_1002008-08-08 11:42:38

Speed etal , thanx very much for your help.

I have sort of  made up my mind for fiesta as compared to sx4.

In talks with dealers to see how much discount can they give. The only issu enow is whether I shud bu y the car now or is it worth while for linea to be launched..

Is tehre any concrete date for linea launch?  If so , what is ur guess about starting price for petrol base version?

Rumours have it that the Linea will be launched around Diwali, i.e. October.

If discussions in other notable fora is anything to go by, no one is quite sure on the specs as well as the pricing. But in all probability, there should be atleast a couple of models(if not the top end) available with in your budget(i.e. if Fiat doesn't want this one to bombsmiley2.gif).

Also, the Linea is much larger a car compared to the Fiestas and SX4s. So if one of your considerations is space, it will definitely be worth it to wait for just a li'l bit longer.

if linea is bigger & possibly heavier car, would'nt the mileage suffer ? I mean as compared to fiesta?

How do u rate fiesta's 1.6 s petrol engine with what comes with what will come with linea?

Also, if I am getting 1.6 s ( actual onroad price of 8.25L approx) with adiscount of 15K to 20 K , do u think it si a good deal?

As i said before, the details on the Linea are very sketchy. The engine options will depend upon how Fiat would want to position Linea. To comment on its efficiency and all will be pure speculation and i don't want to do that.

One thing's for sure; if you are looking for a fun to drive petrol, you probably cannot get a better deal than the Fiesta 1.6 as of now. So if you like it, go ahead and buy it.

Hi , Asif, Linea would be a better car than Fiesta, its only concerns about Fiat delivering on after sales. Linea is expected in September, it will have a 1.8 litre petrol motor producing- 140 BHP. Expected price- 7L for base model.

About Fiesta petrol, if you love driving, 1.6 s is best & if comfort is priority, then ZXI.

I took a TD of fiesta 1.6s. it is good.

We liked 1.6 SXI because of rear comfort & leather seats.

The on road price of it is 8.2L in pune. The dealer is willing to bring it down to 7.98L.

I called up honda also for price.

The EXI is costing 7.87L on road & GXI 8.53 L.

The dealer is not ready to give discount of more than 12000Rs on any of the model.